Buying <span class="highlight">GPS</span> in Hong Kong

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:10
ThreadID: 41927 Views:2406 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
we might be going to Hong Kong in Oct' can anyone tell me if it's better to buy a GPS there ? would it be cheaper ? also do they do Tom Tom's ? and how would you go with maps etc ? having bought the reversing camera for about half price there, I wondered if I'd get the same result with a GPS ,
anyone done it or have advice would be great,
thanks in advance ,
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:31

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:31
They not might be cheaper , they WILL be cheaper, but they will not have the Australian Base map on it, but it's your money ,not mine, and what are you gonna do when it craps itself for warranty,I don't know what state your in but check out this web site
www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_c510.aspx
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 219452

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:34

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:34
I might add Dave too that you will have to then get the Mapping software for Australian Cities and Towns and that's not cheap
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 479986

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:55

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 14:55
Yes Thanks Doug, I'm in Rockingham Perth, as for warranty the camera I bought DID go wrong but they replaced it And paid the return postage and , have to say it was a bargain, but as I know zilch about GPS systems it might be not such a good idea, which is why I asked if anyone had gone down that road, from what I can gather they say Tom Tom is the go, but on a pension , a bit too dear at the mo' I think thier made in Hong Kong which is what made me think of buying there, still if anyone knows different, please follow up,
thanks again,
Dave
AnswerID: 219455

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 15:16

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 15:16
Dave,
Some time ago there was a similar thread about buying a GPS in HK. I asked a friend of mine who lives there and is a electronics tragic to ask about getting the Australia maps with a unit. Result - was not easy, can be done but not off the shelf and would take a while. The cheapest shops would not be bothered.
alastair
AnswerID: 219459

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 15:20

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 15:20
Best advice - buy local. Try GPS OZ a great company to deal with, very competitive pricing and helpful staff. Local too!
AnswerID: 219462

Reply By: hoyks - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:23

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:23
I went looking for GPS in Singapore and prices were about the same as Australia and I could only get US maps there.

My suggestion is to do a LOT of research at home, find exactly what you want and what you would expect to pay here. Then work out the exchange rate and see if it is worth it.
The best I found was about $150/ea cheaper than here and that was buying 2 and haggling a lot. You might do better in HK though.
AnswerID: 219470

Follow Up By: hoyks - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:26

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:26
I had to really hunt around to find them in Singas too. They are not a huge seller unlike CD/DVD/cameras and MP3/4's, so not many shops carry them. The shops that did had a limited range and because there weren't 20 other shops on that level of the shopping centre selling them, therefore they wouldn't move much on price.
FollowupID: 480017

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:44

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:44
Dave
I have the Nuvi 660 and a Quest, Both Garmins Maybe the Nuvi 300 might suit you better, The Garmin Mapsource software is really good ,It shows all the forest tracks up in the ranges down the Albany Hwy and the South Western , as I have pointed out to others also the track along the SA/Vic Border , anyhow have a look at my website about GPS , you will find loads of info all packed together in one website, it has a report for the TomTom but If your going country I think Garmin is the best , I had a fiddle with a couple in Harvey Noemans and they did not have Birdsville in the system , Garmin has the streets
members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/maps.htm
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 219473

Sponsored Links