Ideas, anyone ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:07
ThreadID: 42964 Views:2668 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A bit off topic but for a worthwhile reason.
My "little" bro has it in his nurses head that he'd like to raise money for child cancer research by *walking* from Sydney to Brisbane. He's got a particular slant on the exercise so it will be slightly novel. However he's in the early planning/thinking stage, and has nil experience in such things (although he's walked bits of it before etc etc ).
I've told him that it involves a lot of organization and possibly networks that he has yet to discover, and given him some thoughts (Like forget it !) and contacts.
Now I know you mob are a resourceful and highly experienced lot, and I'd value any thoughts or resources that he may need to seek out; or perhaps just "what a silly idea."
Normally I wouldn't post this kind of stuff, but if he can help some children to live a better life then I'll wear any flak.
Please feel free to offer input.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:30

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:30
Jim

I reckon the first port-of-call would be the marketing/promotional section of the organisation that will benefit from the project..

Regards & 73s
VK2EZY
AnswerID: 225630

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:31

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:31
HI there Footloose, I'll take my hat off to your brother, good on him and hope he raises a good amount.Anything to do with kids and cancer is a great cause. Im not sure how to start that type of thing off but will speak to our social club at work and see what they say. They are always doing fundraising stuff but generally with in the workplace but maybe one of them would know. Keep us informed as to where donations made be contributed and I will put my hand in my pocket and donate towards it. Only advice I can give is a bloody good pair of joggers, maybe he could get a sponser for shoes by talking to management at "paul's wharehouse" or any of the well known shoe companys go and ask the question see what they say. Maybe even a saussage sizzle at bunnings wharehouse or some thing like that and all the profits go to the cause and get his mates friends family etc to help do the cooking etc. Hope he gets through it and finishes what is a great cause. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 225631

Reply By: Hairy - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:32

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:32
Gday,
Good on him!
Id go and have a chat to the anti cancer foundation, they might have some sort of plan already set up. Also get on to Sunrise or one of those shows (even john laws) and let them know what hes doing and ask for some help or sponsorship.

Cheers
AnswerID: 225632

Reply By: whyallacookie - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:34

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:34
Hey at least he is willing to do something. I wouldn't make it! I'd probably start with local media and see what it will take to get their coverage or some sort of support. Then he has bargaining power to go to potential "sponsors" with. Unfortunately the reality is the bulk of businesses will want o know what is in it for them other than a tax deduction. If he can quote xyz coverage at the end of the news or station 123 will be doing a human interest story on it etc then it will help loosen the purse strings.

As for organising it perhaps the local cancer organisation may have already been involved in something similar and be able to help. Then there is APEX, Lions, Rotary etc who may be able to help or help with organisation.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 225633

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:35

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 16:35
I think you would need support from an insurance company, the public liability premium would be astronomical.
AnswerID: 225634

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 17:00

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 17:00
Can I just say how gratifying your responses are. I've passed them along to my bro. Very supportive and with a few angles I hadn't thought of.
Personally I couldnt make it to the end of the road, never mind out of Syd knee. :))
AnswerID: 225642

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 17:34

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 17:34
Footy,
I know your brother is a nurse, but I'd just suggest he think carefully about the choice of charity. Childhood cancer is well financed as it naturally attracts money easily. From my observation there have been huge improvements in treatments in childrens cancer over recent years which have improved survival and quality of life. He may want to consider a childrens charity that struggles to attract funding, but involves the treatment of diseases that are IMO far worse than cancer. I tend to think of children with cystic fibrosis, renal failure, chronic neurological diseases, transplants etc etc or even something more general like Make a Wish. Maybe the fundraising dept of you local Childrens Hospital would be willing to advise of areas of significant need??? I commend your brother on getting out there and doing it.
AnswerID: 225651

Reply By: Gob & Denny - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 19:39

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 19:39
goodday footy
he may need to enquire as to what permits are involed for travelling along the side of the roads with a slow support vehicle

steve
AnswerID: 225672

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 23:12

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 23:12
Footloose

I commend your brother for what he is doing. One in three people in Australia will suffer from cancer in their lives. It is tragic that a large number of these are children .

I am a member of Rotary and the Barmera Rotary Club helped a group who did a walk from Mildura to Adelaide to raise money for Ronald McDonald House.

I suggest that your brother contact service clubs such as Rotary, Lions and Apex. They may be able to assist him in his venture.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 225727

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 23:44

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 23:44
I 2nd that Kumunara ............. these organisation do fantastic work and I'm sure would get behind and support the walk.

The organisation side of this WILL be HUGE Who is going to help orgainse, Advertising, promotion, insurance, support walkers, support vehicles, accommodation, food, medical, communication, permits, sponsorship, trust fund ???? for monies raised, sercurity of monies raised on the road.

To name a few ............... great idea hope he does well and raises plenty :)

Brian
FollowupID: 486636

Sponsored Links