Wind up camper getting stiff!

Submitted: Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:56
ThreadID: 43542 Views:10181 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
One week to go & we are off.

Out playing with the Goldstream camper yesterday, & noticed that winding it up is getting harder.

Also when winding it down, it didn't lower evenly & had to be helped the final 200-300mm.

Do the telescopic poles need to be lubed, & if so then what with?

As we're off around Oz in a weeks time, any help/opinions would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: traveller2 - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:18

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:18
Not familiar with the Goldstream as such but some of those windup jobbies use a length of threaded rod in a duct under the floor.
On the threaded rod is apiece of metal which the four cables that raise the roof connect to.
As you wind the handle it moves along the rod in the duct pulling the cables to raise the roof.
As the duct isn't well sealed the dust and dirt gets in there and physically jams everything up.
The pulleys in the corners and in the ends of the tubes also bind and jam due to lack of lube.
The tubes sliding in each other that you can see isn't usually the problem its the bits hideen away that cause the grief.
AnswerID: 229161

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:25

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:25
traveller2.

I'm not really sure how the lift mechanism works on this thing, or how to get to the hidden stuff!

As we are off on Saturday week, I don't have time to stuff around with it, can the posts just be lubed?
FollowupID: 489973

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46
That's what I was saying lubing the posts probably won't do much as the problem is usually where you can't see it.
If you force it you will end up snapping cable etc which means you will then have to raise and lower the top by hand and cut lengths of timber to hold it there, not fun!
Lubing the posts will also get whatever you lube it with on the canvas leading to added dirt and loss of weatherproofing of the canvas.
By all means clean the posts with a damp cloth and make sure they are loose and slide freely between each other but ultimately you will have to fix the problem if it is elsewhere.
It is hard to explin how the thing actually works without looking at it, the system I talked about in the first post is how the Coleman ones used to be done.
I never pulled my Windsor apart as it never gave a problem ;-))
FollowupID: 489984

Reply By: Member - Franga (QLD) - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:40

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:40
Ozrover,
I would be taking the time now in a controlled environment to fix the problem before you go.
Reason I say this is, I have a Jayco and many years ago a cable let go when winding it up, although it didn't come crashing down, it was a pain to get in and push the roof up on that side while someone else wound it up then find a piece of timber to chock it up. Then we had to pull everytyhing out to get to the winch/ cable assembly.
In saying that we haven't had a problem since.
If you do a search on this forum, I remmember seeing a post about different windup systems on different campers, this may give you some clue on what the problem is.

Regards
Franga
AnswerID: 229162

Follow Up By: Member - Franga (QLD) - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46
Ozrover
Try this site

Site Link

Regards

Franga
FollowupID: 489985

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:01

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:01
Thanks Franga.

This is exactly what I was looking for!! 8 )>
FollowupID: 490027

Reply By: NRE - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:48

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:48
agree with franga. Our cub camper had same problem luckily after we got back from trip t Darwin but broke completely just as I was setting it up at auction barn to sell. Value immediately dropped considerably. You definiyely do not want it to break while u are away somewhere.
AnswerID: 229164

Reply By: paul.as - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:09

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:09
Check it out and have a look how it works. It may be that you have to lift the panel under the back seat (well thats where min was on a coromal). There is a plate that joins the four lifting cables to the winch, mine was a little twisted which meant that the heights were a little different. You can also change the heights by adjusting the attaching screws.
I was having the same problems and really all that it needed was some wd40 on the winch. It now goes really well!!

Paul
AnswerID: 229174

Reply By: pepper2 - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:12

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:12
On my coromal van same symtoms due to steel cable cutting through nylon rollers and jamming the wire in the rollers,solution changed to steel rollers.

I wouldnt leave without fixing it first,
AnswerID: 229218

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:03

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:03
Thanks All, I'm a happy little Ozrover now!

8 )>

Love this site, will miss it when I lose access!
AnswerID: 229226

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 15:07

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 15:07
Jeff,

We had a Goldstream wind up and had problems after driving through lots of dusty tracks.
The problem was the build up of dust and dirt on the windup threat on the legs. After it was cleaned (with difficulty) was a lot better.

Regards
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 229459

Sponsored Links