Patrol Stop Solenoid (4.2)

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 17:34
ThreadID: 43775 Views:2854 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help here, have a 2001 Patrol 4.2 diesel with the stage 1 MTQ upgrade. The MTQ upgrade is STD Turbo charger with the turbine impeller changed-out, STD compressor wheel and no inter cooler with 3” Exh and dump pipe.

Lately the Patrol has been down a little on power so I put a boost gauge on the turbo ( Temp setup, hose running from under the bonnet etc) just to see what the boost press was.
Im running only 4psi boost at the moment, this can only mean a fuel delivery problem or some thing with the turbo-charger it self ie actuator, waste gate etc
On the odd occasion the patrol will run on when shutting down but have noticed this is only a problem after the patrol is heat soaked from a long run. When it comes time to start the patrol 1 of 2 things may happen,
1.The patrol will not start without using the accelerator to hold idle speed or
2.It will start but idle at 500rpm then slowly climb to 700 rpm

I have noticed through the archives that this has been reported as a problem in the past, I have also checked the strainer on the inlet side of the pump and all ok, also there is another strainer on the return side of the fuel pump. The banjo bolt is pressed over holding the strainer in place so it can not be removed. The return banjo bolt has a 1/16 the return hole drilled into it.

Before I jump in and pull things out I wanted to check and maybe clean the stop solenoid on the fuel pump, if this checks out OK then I will move onto the turbo and check the actuator and waste gate operation

My question is, can someone tell me what type/size the bolts (torx, cap screw, Philips etc) are on the stop solenoid because I can get my fat head down that far to see haha.

Thanks all.
The Boy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DMH122 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:02

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:02
Gday, may i suggest maybe getting the pump timing checked.
AnswerID: 230516

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:40

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:40
IMHO it's unlikely to be anything to do with the turbo as that would not be apparent at idle (turbo does jack- bleep @ idle), so that would have no bearing on what happens when you start-up cold or when you switch off after a hot run.

One thing I did to my 4.2TD was to add a Facet pump along the chassis (plumbed in just near the transfer pump), to assist the poor old injector pump with fuel supply. Also aids with pushing fuel through the filter (and extra filter if you've fitted one).
AnswerID: 230530

Reply By: RedGibber - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:53

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 20:53
Mate, 4psi is absurdly low!! That's the boost that one would expect just off idle. Are you sure your temporary setup is correct?

IMHO it's pointless checking the fuel delivery etc. until you're sure that on-boost pressure is up around 8-10psi. The turbo supplies compressed air and that, combined with correct fuel metering, gives you the appropriate "get up and go".

Check fuel delivery AFTER you're sure that the turbo is delivering appropriate air.

Cheers
Red
AnswerID: 230537

Reply By: The Boy - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 22:27

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 22:27
Hi all, Thanks for your replies.
I understand the turbo gives you the extra air needed for extra power but that extra power will only come from extra fuel. The two go hand in hand hence the reason I would like to check the fuel pump first. The 4psi measurement was taken while in 4th gear going up hill and foot to the floor.. all be it very slow.

I would like to check this out first before checking the turbo items, ie waste gate etc

Thanks
The Boy
AnswerID: 230549

Reply By: biz - Friday, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:58

Friday, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:58
Maybe a silly question, But, have you checked your air filter?
AnswerID: 230571

Reply By: pastie - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 17:47

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 17:47
The solenoid is 24mm or 15/16 inch size open end spanner,block the waste gate off and see if that makes a difference,the starting could be the fuel draining away from the filter, park the vehicle down hill and see if that helps if it does fit a non return valve in front of filter, you also may have a problem with the injector pump worn in the distributor part of the pump
AnswerID: 231662

Sponsored Links