Forester Rear Window - <span class="highlight">Child</span> Safety Feature (I think not)

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 15:21
ThreadID: 44164 Views:2444 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

A quick question, I have a mate looking at the '07 Forrester and is interested to know if there is an 'after market' (any way) of making the rear windows go right down? Sold as a child safety feature the rear windows leave at least 3 inches of glass above the sill... not very comfortable for big boys working on the truckers tan.

Any knowledge of work arounds much appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: demented - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 16:20

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 16:20
Alex,

looking out the window at my '05 model, which is pretty much the same as the '07 one, at least cosmetically, I'd say that while the dealer (or subaru or whoever) is selling it as a "safety feature" it is purely an engineering factor. The windows can only go down that far before they hit the wheel well.

I've seen other cars where the window drops that far and then tilts forward, but that still doesn't solve the truckies tan issue and would be a fairly serious modification I'd have thought.

Not the answer you're looking for I'm sure :(

Cheers,

Demented
AnswerID: 232564

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 16:47

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 16:47
lots of cars are like this, and I've never heard of it being called a safety feature before! that's a salesman's spin I'm sure! Purely mechanical issue I'd say.
AnswerID: 232569

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 17:49

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 17:49
Not supposed to hang the arm out anyway !!

Don't sit in the back !!

Have never heard of this being a problem for anyone before !!
AnswerID: 232580

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 18:15

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 18:15
The truckies tan is also a sure way to get skin cancer as well.

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 493487

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:02

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:02
This is also very dangerous so cant see why they should be promoting it as a safety feature. Hope it never happens to any of us but if car rolled over person in back has seat belt on and still gets thrown around like a rag doll and ends up with next possibly hanging over the edge of the glass that has just been broken during roll over and slices your neck open, yeah great safety feature. The first thing they tought us at the 4wdriving training was either window write up or write down nothing in between and have since been doing it. Not sure what others people's thoughts are on this. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 232601

Follow Up By: timglobal - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:46

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:46
On the crumbs of toughend glass? I think you're mixing up getting flicked in the noggin by stray branches on a track, with a broken glass, bones, pride and excess event of a roll-over at speed. Head and arms flailing outside as vehicle impacts on roll, and unrestrained people, loose drinks bottles, iPods, camp kit, etc are a bigger worry.

* To the original poster's question - it's as already identified, a matter of window size and door space. In Subaru's case, it's exacerbated by the range "feature" that they have no door window frames. I can't tell you the precise thinking for Subaru, but...

No frame means (slightly) less weight and some structural advantages to the A, B and C pillars. Makes access easier in some instances. This also means that there is no option for a fixed partial window in rear doors to restrict window width and allow full descent.
Simpler sealing - window is top door seal too.
Larger glass area gives (slightly) better visibility too.

So there you go...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tim
FollowupID: 493506

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:54

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:54
Hi there Tim, I remember them saying definately about the safety issues with the actual window glass itself. Meaning that it could be the thing that kills you not what comes through it. Just what the instructor told us all when doing the course thats all but made sense to me. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 493509

Sponsored Links