Switched to B100 Bio-diesel last night

Submitted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 20:36
ThreadID: 45805 Views:3128 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all

Emptied all the tanks and jerry’s on the return trip from the Broken Hill OBC 07 on Friday and finally made the decision to load up with Bio diesel after talking to a diesel fuel apprecation/monitoring/pedantic nutter some time ago.

I loaded up at the SAFF outlet on the cnr of Boronia & Scorseby Rds, Boronia last night with B100 (very close to 100% bio diesel)

Then drove around doing things for and hour or two that racked up 100kms, and included a trip up the Mt Dandenong Tourist road to Mt Dandenong from Ferntree Gully.

Obviously noticeable differences:

(1) Smell – no stinking diesel smell whilst filling

(2) Spillage – nice smell on hands and washed of very easily leaving no residual smell

(3) Once fuel was through to the pump and engine the first immediate effect noticeable was on the EGT gauge, The sucker runs noticeably cooler. This surprised me the most, especially the long climb up the Mt Dandenong tourist road.

(4) Stopped at lights - idles much smoother and quieter

(5) Power – definitely different however I think it is the much smoother translational shift to power via the turbo (Turbo lag almost gone) that gives the impression of extra power. However that’s not to say there isn’t extra power.

Flew up the hill on Ferntree Gully road towards Jells road easy as (3.4tonne) in fourth gear at 85kph. (fairly long steep hill for those that don’t know it) at the amazing thing was the EGT gauge which would normally sprinting to the magic 500degs. mark, was actually dawdling its way up to 400degs.

This for me was the most obvious and exciting benefit of all as it is something that has had me thinking about ‘what to do’ whilst towing.

(6) Fuel consumption seemed the same, however I was giving it a ‘roost’ every now and again (well, lots actually) whilst playing with it (the vehicle that is)

(7) It was very obvious in the car lights at road level that the amount emissions had been cut drastically. It didn’t appear to blow smoke under 3500RPM on diesel according to those that follow, however at night you can see these rolling clouds of something or other at ground level in the following vehicle headlights. These ‘clouds’ of whatever chit seem to have been largely eliminated with the B100.

(8) Exhaust smell – nothing like a fish & chip shop, just smells like a ‘rose’. Very nice actually.

(9) Price $1.21 a litre.

(10) So far there has been nothing to give a reason not to use it again, which I intend to do from now on on a continuous basis.

Discussion:

(a) Yes! I will be monitoring the filters so don’t fret about that. I did away with the OEM ones some time ago and replaced both with a CAV agglomerator and filter pack

(b) Yes! It is a post 96 model Troopy (Oct 1997)

(d) Yes! At exactly 100,000kms (another 400kms to g) I am going to put a CEM engine wash through it and then see how the oil handles B100

(e) Yes! I carry spare CAV filters just in case it blocks same. I can get a pack of 10 for $40.00 which is just ace. The one that is on there at the moment has done 20,000Kms and to date is as clean as a whistle. The little in line filters I installed collect all the heavy bleep and get changed every 5,000kms. B100 could be a different matter with its detergent effect.

(f) No Truckster, there are no doom, gloom or despair happenings/events on the horizon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 20:43

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 20:43
Good report Lucky....... I just wish I could get some of this potion up my way!!!!
AnswerID: 241931

Reply By: turbopete - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 20:46

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 20:46
great.... can u please explain the heiroglyphics !!!!
AnswerID: 241933

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:53

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:53
No idea.

I saw them after I pushed the send button and still can't figure it/them out

Must be some cyber sabotage at work. (LOL)
FollowupID: 502937

Reply By: jdpatrol - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:20

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:20
Good on ya Lucy

I've been running B100 for a while now. For me one of the best things about that is when some a'hole has a go at me for being a 4wdriver, I ask "does your car produce greenhouse gases". You can guess the rest.

Otherwise I just feel good doing something meaningful when everyone else (or so it seems) is just talking up greenhouse concerns. JD
AnswerID: 241936

Reply By: jamohamo - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:29

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:29
Amazing! I've been interested in converting my 92 80 series to run on vege oil but it seems risky and tricky. This is the next best thing. Where did you buy the B100? I'd love to try some.
AnswerID: 241943

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:57

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 21:57
Second para of original post.

Cnr Scorseby & Boronia Rds, Boronia, Melboure, Vic

However you can find all the SAFF outlets at this site:

Site Link
FollowupID: 502940

Follow Up By: Topend - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 05:52

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 05:52
I checked their web site. The only place it can be purchased it the Territory is the Ayers Rock turn off. Miles from anywhere.

Topend.
FollowupID: 502979

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 09:29

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 09:29
Wouldn't mind giving it a shot but Mundrabilla being the only outlet in WA at present is a bit far to travel to fuel up.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 502999

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 22:23

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 22:23
Interesting your perceptions of more power. Animal fat or lard has more energy than diesel, whilst Canola has slightly less. Maybe SAFF were using animal fats as the feedstock. Either way, it's great you're happy with it.

The black smoke will have gone, B100 produces some white smoke - which is what you see floating along the ground. It's nice knowing you're not stinking out fellow travellers isn't it.

My 60 Canola/40 BioD blend smells nice too, whenever I can I leave the sunroof open so I get a whiff :-)

Good idea to carry the filters, but there may not be too much crud in the tanks to clean off.

After a year or so, I noticed some of my rubber fuel lines getting a bit soft on BioD so have changed them over. The 12HT has a lot of tiny vacuum hoses which got soft, so I rerouted and changed them. No big drama, just something to keep an eye out for in a while.

Tim
AnswerID: 241950

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 19:12

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 19:12
Tim

As mentioned above, I think the perception of extra power thing was really in the diminished 'turbo lag' that gave a sensation of more power.

I do know that it went up that hill in Mulgrave in fourth at 85kph with ease and the EGT guage increased accordingly at a much slower rate.

I am going to give it a run in the high country around Matlock/Woods Point soon and will give another report afterwards.
FollowupID: 503102

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 00:38

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 00:38
mmmmm. Jeff M was running B100 in his 3.0 surf for a while but has dropped off the radar recently. It would be good to hear how he is progressing with it!
AnswerID: 241972

Reply By: traveller2 - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 08:14

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 08:14
I was running B100 in my truck and I found the same as Lucy it worked very well. But it is hard to find here in Sydney now.
I've found the stuff that Volume Plus sells is not good, it is a blend of unknown mix (the console operators don't know) and it raises exhaust temps to very high levels and power is down markedly compared to Dino or B100.
The exhaust temps were so high that the protective split tube on various wiring under the truck melted from the heat!!
I've found the same results from different VP outlets from the north and south coasts, metro and central west in NSW.
A mate with aircooled tractors reckons they have never run as hot as they do on the VP mix, personally I won't touch it any more.
Stick to B100 if you can get it, the stuff from the Rutherford outlet is really good, the name escapes me at the mo'.
AnswerID: 241980

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 15:23

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 15:23
Hmmm runs good in my 3Lt t/d Prado {02} interesting that Toyo did NOT recommend using it though, anyone know why ?
regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 242056

Follow Up By: Olcoolone (SA) - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 23:38

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 23:38
The reason Toyota does not reconmend biodiesel is the damage it can cause to injection systems.

We are Denso service dealers and at a recent conferance we discused biodiesel.

Denso have done tests on injectors and found after 1000k with a 2-5% mix there was signs of injector damage.

This is highlited even more in common rail systems were tolarances are even greater.

They showed us photos under a microscope and the spray patterns to back up the claim.

The injectors in the D4d engine has a piston to bore clearance of 2 microns.

It seems it is traced to the solvents and other chemicals used in biodiesel.

NOW BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HERE AND SAYS THAT I AM TALKING SH** consider Denso is not affiliated with or has to be with any oil companys and they are the number one maker of diesel fuel injection systems and components.

If someone is going to knock me down on this, show the proof technicaly I will agree with you.

Denso stated to us it is in there best interests to suport renewable fuel source and that they were following the hydrocarbon to liquid outcome with interest.

And to jdpatrol biodiesel is still greenhouse warming, the main claim to fame is it is renewable energy and there is a strong belief that biodiesel may be worse for the enviroment with a higher GWP the standard diesel.

It has been said that to make biodiesel economical it has to be under 80 cents a Lt.

I would be asking the biodiesel sellers if the will warrant the product that it will not cause any damage in the short or long term to your engine/injection system........... they all say it is safe so get them to put it into writing.

So at the end of the day if something in your injection system goes haywire and its under warranty with Toyota and biodiesel has been used..... even a tank full and the part has to go back to Denso for evaluation (they take the quality issues very very very seriously) the chances of your claim getting accepted is zero!

I am not for or against biodiesel, but when the facts get stacked up it make you wonder....save 20c per lt. now may cost you big later.

Perhaps I should say use it and here is my business card, if you have any problems I would love to make some money from you.

regards Richard

So how many are giong to say I am WRONG!

FollowupID: 503181

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:49

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:49
Richard.

I have no idea whether you are right or wrong - however I am prepared to and going to find out for myself exactly what this stuff is like and does to a 1HZ engine that is so far out of warranty that even Nissan with their poxy 3.0L 'extended warranty' would slam the 'warranty door' in my face. (LOL)

I have waited for SAFF to distribute in Melbourne as I personally believe that their product is the best on the domestic market.

Now as to the Greenhouse effect (more /less) I'll wait until a definitive study is done.

Also, the argument that you create carbon emissions in producing biodiesel is really not an issue as to those that lead this line of argument, I strongly suggest you go to an oil refinery (petrochemical works) and throw the power switch to off as all that electricity they use to produce the petroleum products we use, takes billions of tonnes of carbon emisions to produce in the first instance.

Then turn off the fuel to the oil tankers that bring the crude to refinery, because to produce that fuel creates 'x' amount of carbon emissions.

Then turn off all the electricity and fuel used on the oil fields themselves to extract the oil in the first place as that to creates untold amounts of carbon emissions.

And last but not least ,cut off all transport for the workers/employees of the aforementioned enterprises and make them walk to work etc etc as their transport cause billions of tonnes of emissions as well.

So, all in all it is a stupid statement for people to say that producing bio diesel creates carbon emissions. Of course it does, however I would respectfully suggest they are much less that petroleum based products.

I am going to have a 'play' with a few things on the 1HZ (why - because I can) fuel wise and oil wise and will let everyone know the results.

Injectors are a mere throw away and replace item and the rotary pump can be rebuilt at a blink of the eye. Both of which I done when I had a aftermarket turbo fitted.

So if need be thats what will happen (but by Rankin Diesel Bayswater - not your goodself)

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 503262

Sponsored Links