Weather in Birdsville

Submitted: Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:45
ThreadID: 46954 Views:2402 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
For Footloose and Gossy and anyone else coming through in the next few weeks. Footsie, you'll be pleased to know that yesterday's 0.5 degree min temp has been surpassed by today's warm 4.5 degree min. Stunning sunrise with gold and red and orange and stripes - but best of all, yesterday and today, no wind. Been blowing for the last 4 weeks - clear skies and heaps of stars and plenty of ice in
the Desert. (The yabbies aren't too bad either). Have heaps of fun everyone but please let your tyres/tires down - below 20 if you are going to the Simpson.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:49

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:49
Hi Ruth,

Whats all this 'up at sunrise' when you are on holidays. Isn't it different without the wind chill.

Enjoy that veranda!!
Cheers
Ian@Mt Dare
AnswerID: 248412

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:34

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:34
Sad isn't it that I was up so early - old fella went fishing and left all the animals with me and they needed feeding. Nice again today - without the wind chill. Going out to the racetrack shortly for the Gymkhana - had a good night in the Pub last night - usual Friday night, mostly locals too. See you shortly!
FollowupID: 509461

Reply By: Big Mike - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:29

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:29
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the info, sounds fantastic. One more sleep and we are on our way out to gods own country. Be at Birdsville Monday night for a feed and a few beers and then heading across, and yes, tyres down, flag up.
Cheers
Big Mike
AnswerID: 248418

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:38

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:38
Keep up the reports
I keep telling my wife that it will good fun- she hasnt been out that way-her first trip into the desert country with no shops handy
One more week of work sitting inside concrete walls-no windows
Then we head your way
Thanks again
The Yabbies - I assume in the creek back of the caravan Park at Birdsville
where else do you find them
AnswerID: 248421

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:49

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:49
Trevor, do I need to ring her and counsel her on what a great time she will have. sooo good out in the Desert. Only 4 channels in Eyre Creek ran - still water in the Creek though, makes the waterhole look good. You can see where the wildflowers have been in the channels - the monkey faces (Mimulous Prostrata) must have been specatcular - low ground cover with tiny dark green leaves and mauve flowers that look like forget-me-nots.
On the dunes the Parrot Pea (Crotalaria Cunninghamii) are starting to flower - right beside the track as you go up and down the dunes - most exquisite lime green flowers.
Outside the Bakery is a stunning Sturt's Desert Pea - which is about to flower - it's only one plant and looks massive.
Yabbies - put your pots in on the eastern side of Pelican Point (yes that is the billabong at the bottom of the park - but Pelican Point is on the other side). Then put your big pot on the fire with some onion, carrot, garlic, celery salt, chilli sauce, parsley - celery tops if you've got some - to make the broth. Bring all this to the boil, drop the yabbies in - when it comes back to the boil cook for 8 minutes. Tip out into basin, don't burn your fingers taking the tails off!!! The yabbies are big enough that there is good meat in the claws as well. Peel the tails - thumbs on either side of inside of tail and peel back off - clean out black line, don't waste the cover tho - dip in something nice - I like sour cream mixed with Thai sweet chilli and EAT.
You can make up a cheesy (4 cheese instant sauce) sauce with more garlic and fresh parsley (or dried) and on a rice base - similar to risotto.
Or else marinade in big mobs of garlic and olive oil - quickly on bbq and eat. To heck with the heartburn afterwards - boy, it's worth it.
Don't forget the wine.
Yabbie pots with meat bones - and as added extra, little water bottle with some holes and dried dog food. Seems to be working. Enjoy it - see you soon.
FollowupID: 509463

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:56

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:56
G'day mate

This morning is the first calm, sunny morning in three weeks here in the Southern Flinders. Still cold though with Jack Frost lying deep in the garden.

I hope to catch up with you lot sometime in August on my way back from the tropics.

You are going to miss out on all the fun at Warraweena.......pikers....lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 248428

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:53
G'day mate yourself - Jack Frost is out in the Simpson. Will be here all August - and spewing (nice Ossie word that) about missing Warraweena - family!!?? Wish we could be there to help Jen celebrate her birthday and Mrs Al - any reason at all to have a drink.! See you August, old friend.
Hey, a few more Afrikaaners have lobbed up here - nice too.
FollowupID: 509464

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:06

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:06
Thanks, Ruth. Sounds like I'll just have to drink a bit of anti freeze at the bar :))
AnswerID: 248430

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:53
Tried that last night with Scotch - didn't seem to work.
FollowupID: 509465

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:33

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:33
Having to take blood thinners doesn't help either :(( That's why I have to stay away from scotch these days , get drunk too easily :))
FollowupID: 509474

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:57

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:57
Ruth
Good to see your out and about, I spent the night in the new Caravan Pk at Dalwallinu , the wind this morning nearly cuts one in two, Yeh Dusty has his Jacket on too ,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 248437

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:55

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:55
Doug, are you tripping or moving? Just been out to the car to look in maps to check it out. Glad you put Dusty's coat on, poor little mite. Clear and sunny today, light breeze comes up about 9:30. See you next year. Talk to you before then tho.
FollowupID: 509466

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 22:31

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 22:31
Hows it going Guys ,

My wife still needs convincing to bring our young bloke to ' Warraweena ' , after that I have some time off , we / I plan to head up to Birdsville , back to Innamincka , Tibooburra , Broken Hill then home to Sydney .

Do you guys have any secrets for camping with youngsters at such cold temps , at the moment my son is 18months old , there is no way on the planet he would stay tucked in to a blanket , he sleeps in like a polar fleece sleeping bag type thing because he doesnt stay still till he falls asleep . He has been camping a few times already for a few weeks at a time and adjusts ok, but in warm weather !

Glenn.
AnswerID: 248564

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:31

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:31
Glenn, it's just the same as being at home, only better! He's already been camping so you are on the way - just put him in his sleeping bag he normally wears and then cover him over again (and again) during the night. No doubt you'll be in a tent (?). During the day, depending on the wind factor - layers of clothes, beanies and gloves or mittens (even I have been wearing mine this week). Does he have his own little swag - or maybe one of those foldup foam chairs that you put down and a cuddly doona. Have fun no matter where you are.
FollowupID: 509460

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 16:13

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 16:13
A little swag type thing may be the way to go , hopefully he wont be able to wrestle out of that !

Thanks ,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 509519

Reply By: jfwaust - Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 22:31

Friday, Jun 22, 2007 at 22:31
Ruth...Do you own the caravan park in Birdsville cause if so we are booked in for 3 nights in early August. Do you get dingoes venturing in that close ? Janet
AnswerID: 248565

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:05

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:05
Janet, not anymore - did for 10 years and letting someone else have all the fun now. Yes the dingoes do sometimes venture into the park - but usually when it is very dry and this year after the rain and flood there is plenty of food elsewhere. The really prefer to hang out around the tip - they can get to it from the dunes without bothering anyone.
You can sometimes hear them howling down the river - nothing to be scared of - they don't take children in Birdsville but they do like leather boots.
Only saw one dingo in the Desert last week - she obviously had a couple of pups parked close by - and was feeding them from a dead camel on the K1. She was a beautiful specimen - I can say that now that I don't go out into the paddock and find my calves all bitten or dead.
There is an animal control officer in town who keeps a close eye on dogs, whether town dogs (of which there aren't many here anymore - when we first came here 10 years ago there was 100 people and 320 dogs - nowadays people are expected to be more accountable for their animals) and wild dogs - and they have traps set on outskirts of town.
So come and enjoy the place - you will! Happy trip. I'll be here somewhere in town or the Desert just ask.
FollowupID: 509469

Follow Up By: jfwaust - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:01

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:01
Many Thanks Ruth.

We'll look out for you. We are not worried about the dingoes...in fact we are quite hoping we will see 1 or more. Yes we are looking forward to the cold. NOT. Is there plenty of firewood available or should we pick up on the road as we come up like others have suggested.

Can't wait to get there. I have wanted to come to Birdsville ever since I can remnember. So 1st August we arrive.

Thanks again Janet
FollowupID: 509478

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 14:33

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 14:33
Janet, pick up on the way - then when you get here someone can point you in the right direction for some more!
FollowupID: 509503

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:25

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 10:25
Ruth, we will be passing thru Birdsville late august. Do you expect to be there then?

If so we can drool over each other's vehicles.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 248602

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 14:36

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 14:36
Gone Bush, did you get yours yet? Comments after 6,000 klms - make sure to get rear end lift immediately. Not quite as much power as Ian thought - fuel consumption not quite as good as hoped either. Comfortable to ride in, good gearbox, good seats - large transfer case means passenger right leg not straight - slightly bent (which I am finding annoying actually). Yes we will be here then. See you when you get here.
FollowupID: 509504

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 20:08

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 20:08
Yes Ruth, we've had ours for about 3 weeks. Only done about 800k's so far but got 24mpg. That included some hooning (I'm very happy with the power). I've heard a couple of comments about the rear springs but will wait until we see the effect our new van will have. We are picking up a Trakmaster in Melbourne and coming home via outback NSW and your neck of the woods.

Will definitely catch up. Hope you have some garlic yabbies waiting for us.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 509552

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:06

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:06
Gone Bush, well good news that you have the vehicle - will try and get my photos of the rig doing the Simpson - the spare tyre carrier makes a grader - with our tray mods the spare tyre can't be carried in there anyway (not if we want to use it anyhow) so Ian has decided to put the two spares up top and remove the other.
The Dunlop tyres which came with the ute - well, one lasted 6,004 klms and blew the plasticy side out in the gibber (probably more suitable to mud/snow ??) Ian not happy - it was 5:45 a.m., dark and wind blowing from the Pole - and the normal jack is a bit crappy also. The rear springs are very ordinary and will definitely be contacting Fred Ford's Conversion for a lift (we've used him on our other Toyotas - particularly rear lifts). We noticed it when towing our Taj Mahal of campers - although generally very happy with the towing ability and power.
It is very comfortable for long distance travel - even though passenger side with the wider transfer case gives me leg ache - trouble is Ian won't let me drive now because he's enjoying it too much. We'll see you in Birdsville - make sure.
FollowupID: 510112

Sponsored Links