Uploading GPS Points

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 20:13
ThreadID: 48125 Views:2271 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Magellan XL Explorist with discover Australia tracks.Is their any way or what do i need to purchase to upload waypoints from the trek notes on this site.We are going to do the Holand track at the end of august and i have put all the points of interest in one by one.When we we did the central road i did the same as well as some on the Hemma maps.Not that computer literate but learning.

Cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 21:34

Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 21:34
Just buy one of these, it's got it all.(look under Shop)

Westate Publishers
Digital Mapping
3. Explore the Holland Track & Cave Hill Woodlines CD $24.95 Add the item Explore the Holland Track & Cave Hill Woodlines CD to your Cart
Click for full page preview
The trips include:
Hyden to Coolgardie via the Holland Track and return,
Coolgardie to Hyden via Cave Hill,
Hyden to Coolgardie via the Cave Hill Woodlines and
Coolgardie to Broomhill via the John Holland Way.

Contains:
Waypoint files for all trips, calibrated "Map" files, GPS and laptop navigation instruction, track "Snailtrail" files for all trips, detailed route files for all trips and a trial version of Ozi Explorer Software.

Full Description
Member Reward Product Dimensions 142 x 125 x 1
AnswerID: 254611

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 22:39

Thursday, Jul 26, 2007 at 22:39
Graeme,

You can download the waypoints from the link in the trek note. This will download an OziExplorer compatible .wpt file. You can then use OziExplorer to send the waypoints to the GPS unit.

Does your GPS support connections to your computer?
Do you have OziExplorer?
There are other converters for the waypoint files to different formats if required however it depends on how you connect your gps to the computer. If you use Discover Aus to talk to the GPS can you tell me what format the waypoints need to be in (or maybe someone else can tell me the format). I am wanting to add additional formats and have been looking at GPX as one, hence knowing what Discover Aus uses would help.

We can work it out just need to cross each bridge.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 254619

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:02

Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:02
Hello Dave - (sorry to butt in Graeme) - You can not communicate directly with DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks (DAST) if you have an Explorist. DAST is a tad old and doesn’t have any menu functions that enable "connecting" to eXplorist (which connect via USB, not serial as older Meridians/Map series). EXplorists, when connected act as an external memory device - so you have you use Windows explorer to move any files you have around i.e. not GPS upload/download in old (serial connection) sense of the word.

In addition DAST format files are not compatible with eXplorists (DAST is some sort of binary? while eXplorist files are ascii……Note: issue is further complicated by fact that data files saved to SD card in Meridian units are also ascii and same as Explorist data files) All is not lost - you can convert older DAST format files using the conversion program that comes with eXplorists...or even better use Mapsend Lite V2 (free download) that has purpose built menu for "transfering"(just opens up windows explorer type interface) data to Explorist GPS units and you can also use older installed Mapsend products or maps on GPS (eg DAST/Basemap) as the background map on which to display data on PC. The other advantage of Mapsend Lite is that it can import/export GPX format files. GPX can be imported/exported to/from other programs such as OziExplorer and Garmin Mapsource so it is a good format to provide data in.

Back to Graeme's issue - as suggested OziExplorer would be best option as this is the format the waypoint/track files are supplied in from ExplorOz website at moment. I don’t think the free versions or OziExplorer Lite allow all functions so at some point you may get stuck loading/saving waypoints for eXplorist. If this is just a one off exercise then buying full version of OziExplorer may not be logical option.

Several other ways to solve problem - if you know someone with OziExplorer get them to save them in eXplorist format for you and load using Windows explorer or Mapsend Lite. Other option is convert the OziExplorer format files using GPSBabel, which is free.

www.gpsbabel.org/index.html

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 515757

Sponsored Links