Garmin GPS Maps

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 12:08
ThreadID: 49010 Views:8720 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello - just an update letting you know that Shonkymaps now has its own website for those interested.

Shonkymaps

While here may as well mention that the other free Garmin GPS map product, T4A (created using same base data...with ongoing additions by contributors), is available from here -

T4A

This is the standard version and is a much smaller file download than Shonkymaps but is not as pretty. There is bigger better T4A Pro version (available for exchange for $s - read about it here...

T4A PDF Download

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olcoolone- Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 14:21

Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 14:21
Greg what do you get differant in the Pro T4A compaired to the standart T4A.

We use Oz Explorer with alot ofmaps and Garmin City Nav 7 on our laptop, is there any advantage for us to use Shonkymaps or T4A

regards Richard
AnswerID: 258854

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:21

Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:21
Hello -

Pro version has the same road lines as the free version BUT also has additional features, i.e.

Capability to search for cities - and when we add them also other POI (Points of Interest.)

Polygons for lakes, dams, rivers, reserves, national parks, (wide) rivers.

For a visual comparison go to the files area at yahoo user group - you will have to join I think...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracks4australia
coast/
and see the folder called Compare T4A vs T4A PRO

The advantage of using Shonkymaps/T4A relates more to using them on a Garmin GPS than a laptop I suppose. It is difficult to say what is best for any one person as it depends what your mapping requirements are - my only suggestion is get it and try - you can never have enough maps. Some people find Shonky/T4A adequate for their needs..others dont. It is the same data as used for 250K Natmap raster maps..but in vector format - you can zoom in and get better detail than visible on a raster map (despite same data set) ...but keep in mind scale of data capture and compromises in file size means some features are not accurately depicted at high zoom levels ie coast line, rivers and roads become "jagged" at highest zoom levels.

T4A is being slowly added to by people contributing track files to the developer (or you can do it yourself if you want) but process of addition and publication of new T4A versions appears slow - could be wrong but no new version has been released for a year or so - guy doing it may have bitten off more than he can chew - but full marks for trying and its certainly better than nothing.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 520297

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 14:52

Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 14:52
Greg ,
Thanks for the info . Have you finished the 50 thou.Pilbara maps yet ?
The address for the T4A site you gave above , is not working for me ???
Willie .
AnswerID: 258855

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:33

Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:33
Hello Willie

I am sorry - the third link takes you to files section of the yahoo users group tracks4australia.....but you have to join first - which is why link doesn't work - woops.

Pilbara is half finished- I have done all the available 50K maps (200+) east of lat 117° 30'. Being doing a bit of field testing of late up near Port Hedland/Goldsworthy/Whim Creek and down around Juna Downs - good stuff though all the mining activity up that way means new railroads and tracks not on maps - topo is very handy though, plus older tracks (some overgrown) are shown. I hope to finalise balance of maps (200+) west of here by November. Process is being hindered by work commitments and cash flow issues:)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 520299

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:34

Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 at 15:34
east of lat 1171 30' =east of Lat 117 degrees 30 minutes

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 520301

Reply By: burnsy - Sunday, Aug 26, 2007 at 21:27

Sunday, Aug 26, 2007 at 21:27
Hi I have downloaded the Shonky maps & find them very good but I do not know how to run them on a Garmin 276C gps.
I am pretty sure they are on there But I don't know how to turn the Mapsource map off so I can see the Shonky map version.
Any theories?
Mike
AnswerID: 258992

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:21

Monday, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:21
Hi Burnsy

When have tracks showing on GPS you press menu and list of options appears.

The bottom option is "Map Information"

When select it you should have short list of all mapsets in your GPS showing.

The ones ticked are active ones - so just check that shonky is only one ticked and it should work.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 520486

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Sunday, Aug 26, 2007 at 22:20

Sunday, Aug 26, 2007 at 22:20
You can also overlay the Shonkymap contour lines over the City navigator maps.
GPSAustralia has more info on Shonkymaps
AnswerID: 259001

Reply By: burnsy - Monday, Aug 27, 2007 at 19:11

Monday, Aug 27, 2007 at 19:11
Thanks for all your help. I will try it out tomorrow when I head out.
AnswerID: 259102

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:13

Saturday, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:13
More Garmin Maps here

Free Garmin Maps

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 261000

Sponsored Links