CEM

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:19
ThreadID: 49338 Views:2249 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have read an add in 4x4 mag about CEM Cost Effective Maintenance, I am sure most of you know of it, however I have only just come across it.
Basic maintenance aside, are the claims made real or bogus, does it work? I have always been sceptical about businesses advertising from a post box rather than an actual address, that being said I am asking for advisefrom anyone who has had first hand knowledge or experience about this cleaning system.
In advance thank you
DEBBIE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:39

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:39
It is a good product and it works

The outlay for a small quantity of the liquid seems expensive, but in contrast with an engine rebuild, it is cost effective.

Cheers
AnswerID: 260428

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:56

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:56
Thank you for your response, my husband advises you are one of the people on here to listen to.
DEBBIE
FollowupID: 521828

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:53

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:53
Debbie

As long as you don't listen to me all of the time....I have a DARK side, you know....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 522025

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:48

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:48
Ooooooh! Ms Debbie

Why did you have to go and say that for.

There will be no stopping him now and it will be ALL your fault. (LOL
FollowupID: 522045

Reply By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:53

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:53
Deb
It's like every thing these days and you get every where, people trying to cash in on schemes they think of and it's unbelievable how society has taken notice, This is a subject I could go on about for hour, but take this accreditation idea, health and safety and don't get me wrong I'm all for safety but why is it we all need someone else to tell us how to do it these days , I have all my life used my own common sense to survive, in the 80s we used cheap red material from Kmart 3 or 4 dollars a meter and hung it on each corner of oversized loads, if came off we lost about a dollar of rag , nowadays they have to have all this fancy manufactured crap that costs $30 / $35 each and they still fall off, they have to have reflective signs but can't travel after dark [Qld excepted -3.100m ]
So for what you read in the 4x4 mag is another ploy to get people to spend , Just do as you feel is right for your car, the system you read about will work no doubt, but so will the system you think is right too ,here is a few things I do for my 4x4.

Buy good oil, as in say BP or Shell .add Nulon or Wynnes to the Engine, Diffs, Gearbox/Transfer Case
Use BP or Shell ,Caltex fuel, Woolworths seems to give less KPL
Tyres from Australia or USA
Batteries 4 times the cost of Chinese crap' one of mine was $375
Aussie or NZ made Filters,
Always use Genuine Parts except minor accessory items
And remember cheap stuff is just that ...cheap and nasty and won't last

That's just some of the things I do and my Troopy now has 710,000 + on the clock and going fine ....touch wood

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 260429

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:11

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:11
Thank You Doug,
We have an 80 series 91 model 1 HZ with aftermarket Turbo, 345000 ks and is starting to blow smoke, I have a feeling it is starting to gunk up and needs a good cleanout. I dont use any additives in the fuel, and my oil is changed religiouslly every 5000 ks, Pennzoil only. I have also noticed my onboard oil gauge seems to be a little lower than usual, but oil level is ok but very black and smells a little burnt.
DEBBIE
FollowupID: 521830

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:30

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:30
If the Oil is black then I would have the fuel pump look at, but only if it is excessive, first try some of this in the Tank
WYNN'S SPITFIRE INJECTOR CLEANER
Cleans and keeps injectors and the fuel system clean, improves performance, lubricates and protects injectors. PRODUCT NO: 77201
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 521838

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:32

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:32
The Diesel product might be better

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 521839

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:17

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:17
Doug,
1. Do you have any idea what CEM is and does before you gave your rant above ?
2. Have you any personal experience with CEM. (as per Debbie's question ) ?

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 521894

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:29

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:29
Pezza
Yes I do.... and I'm suggesting Wynnes and DIY Maintenance, the way I've always done my own with may I say proven success with my Trucks and my own 4X4s, was I not suppose to make a comment,
TO ALL OTHERS OUT THERE I do withdraw my comments , i am so very sorry '

PS ...CEM also means Computer Engine Management, but I do know that in this case we are referring to CEM Products, Once again I am sorry for mentioning Wyynes and Nulon
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 521898

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:57

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:57
"Yes I do" what ? Know what it is or have personal experience with it ?
The reason I ask is because you once again came on with your own ' knowitall, off on your own track ' rant instead of answering the question, or giving any help in regards to the question.

You stated,
"add Nulon or Wynnes to the Engine, Diffs, Gearbox/Transfer Case"
So you're saying to add a good additive, yes ? What do you think CEM is ?
What makes you think that using these products is better than using the CEM products, unless of course you have used all the CEM products and have found them useless, in which case why not say so ? and if you didn't think so then why recomend them instead of the product Debbie is enquiring about ?

Your opening statement
"It's like every thing these days and you get every where, people trying to cash in on schemes they think of "
in regards to the question suggests that you think this product is just another "scheme" trying to cash in on a myth.
Making that sort of statement about a product which you have no knowledge or experience with doesn't do a whole lot for your own credibility when you want people to take you advice seriously.

Cheers
Pezza

FollowupID: 521903

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:21

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:21
Pezza
Go and bite your ass, I forgot you own this Forum , I apologised, withdrew my statement, what more do you want you P,I.the A
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 521905

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:31

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:31
:-))))

I know I can't kiss my elbow but I've never tried your suggestion, don't like my chances though...... not as flexable as I used to be.
You have a nice day too.

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 521908

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:56

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:56
Pezza
Bugger.....thought I was going to have some entertainment , catch ya later mate, ....lol
Oh and you better behave too , I'm heading your direction soon.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 521914

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:20

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:20
Doug and Pezza,

I didn't mean to cause a bung fight over my question, I do appreciate your comments re CEM. Doug I managed a service station in Adelaide for just on 15 years and I understand Wynns and Nulon products as we had them on the shelf (not that I used them though) but using them as a comparison I understand.

Thank you both for your comments

Debbie
FollowupID: 521951

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:04

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:04
Have a bit of a search in the archives of this forum , you will find lots , more for CEM than against , the only people who have a negative comment on the engine flushing compound are those who have a vested interest in NOT using the product as it does work and can save the cost of a rebuild , our 80 series 4.2 factory turbo diesel requires 9.5lt in an oil and filter change , we got something like 11.5 lt of crud out when we used the flushing compound ,
AnswerID: 260431

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:18

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:18
Axel, thank you.
I have a feeling this is the problem with ours, I guess like our own bodies we all need a clean out from time to time, maybe CEM could be a Laxitive for our engines LOL,
DEBBIE
FollowupID: 521832

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:12

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:12
I used it in our first Defender and was happy with the product and the result. I haven't been using it in 'The Landy' as this has just had an engine rebuild...but I am using it in 'Red Rover' another Landy 110 we recently bought.
AnswerID: 260433

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:27

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:27
Thank you Landy and thank you to everyone who answered, on the strenghth of your comments I can say it is worth trying and am off to ring Queensland now.
DEBBIE
FollowupID: 521836

Reply By: madfisher - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:09

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:09
Debbie I have not used cem , but I do agree with the idea most jap diesels gunk up and glaze up rather than wear out. This happens a lot when the owner is to gentle with their diesel. Also try the wynns injector cleaner, works in most cases
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 260454

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:02

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:02
I use the FTC Decarboniser from CEM on my Cummins Diesels in a boat and it seems to work, mind you I haven't pulled the engines down to compare before and after.? What I can tell you is if you spill this yellow bleep it is toxic and stains so it seems to be made of the right stuff..?? He he..!

Brid from CEM is on these forums also..! Hit him for some real proof..!
AnswerID: 260459

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:04

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 13:04
I have used CEM products on and off for a number of years, first used in a Perkins 4/107 diesel in the last yacht I owned. Glazed up to bug... at any revs in gear you could not see the boat, embarrassing. I would get a 10 litre container to run the diesel out of, as the yacht had 400 capacity, add the FTC run it for 3 to 4 hours, tied up and in gear best way to get the temp up, and the crap that would come out of the exhaust was unreal. Then she would be right again.
I have also used the FOC (flushing oil concentrate) in both my Isuzus and did not find much crud in the oil, but I think that these two motors are in good order. But I add the antiwear with the new oil and have noticed that the oil does not good black straight away, probably not for 1000Ks so that has to be good for the motor.
ok my 2 cents worth. cheers.
AnswerID: 260470

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:57

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:57
Ms Deb

Can you please post some feedback on your use of CEM

Take no notice of the 'ratbag' element comments your original question attracted. (LOL)
AnswerID: 260667

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 17:31

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 17:31
'Lucy'

I will post feedback re the use of CEM just waiting on the product to arrive from QLD. Will let you all know the out come of the post mortem when the deed is done.

regards
Debbie
FollowupID: 522157

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:20

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:20
Hi Deb,
Did you get to see the sturt desert pea up the Mt Ives road a few months ago? We are going back up there at the end of the month.
Try these on for size, about 3 acres on roadside 3 weeks ago.
MPG:10!

I too am going to try the CEM, as I do a lot of idling work, and things are glazing up again.
Will report when it is done.

Willem is right, dont listen to him ALL the time ??? hahahaha

Cheers Pesty!
AnswerID: 260749

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:22

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:22
OK try again.!MPG:10!
FollowupID: 522174

Follow Up By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:57

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 19:57
Pesty,

Hey first of, thanks so much for remembering me! And yes we did go up to Mt Ive camping the very next week end. We did find plenty of Sturt Desert Pea although not as many as you have found since. After talking to the owner of Mt Ive we were just a tad early to see full colour but we were happy with what we found including the pretty purple one which starts out similar to the pea but then bushes upward (If you can understand what I mean). Thanks for the beaut picture above I'm impressed.

Sorry to get off track there. I'll have people coming back at me now LOL.

Back to CEM yes I would be very interested in your outcome after using CEM. I think after reading up on past threads etc and the response I received here with this thread we too will be using CEM and I also will report back.

Enjoy your trip I reckon about the long weekend I think we are heading to the Flinders taking my nephew who hasn't been there yet.

Regards
Debbie
FollowupID: 522185

Sponsored Links