Trip away 2nd week October - Suggestions

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:52
ThreadID: 49344 Views:2262 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there. We are looking at going away for a week or so 2nd week of the school holidays and as we have only been in WA for a bit over a year would appreciate some suggestions as to where may be some good places to get away to.

We will be taking our 2 youngest kids (8 & 11), so child friendly would be nice. Would definitely prefer bush camping rather than caravan parks etc...

Will it be too late to see any of the wild flowers, and if they are still likely to be around suggestions as to the best place to go and see them.

Driving distance is not too much of an issue, if it takes a couple of days to get there thats fine.

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:53

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:53
Richard
wild flowers will still be in bloom in october, but probably Geraldton, east & south. will only get the "tail end" of the bloom north of Geraldton. I have not been bush camping, but in october a great place to go is, Cape le Grand or Cape Arid National Parks, just out of Esperance. if u and the kids like great beaches & good walks, this is the place to go. but, being a national park, only designated camping spots, no bush camping. facilities in both parks are great.
u can also try Kalbarri or monkey mia, but both have c/van parks only. u can also try, Wooleen Station, another great spot
u could try the, Holland Track, will have bush camping & wild flowers. try a search in EO for details on this.
good luck, Tom
AnswerID: 260468

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:52

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 14:52
Gday Richard
Take the little blighters down to climb that big tree at Pemberton. I climbed it in 1965 when it was only a sapling, but it is a bit bigger now.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 260489

Reply By: Member - peter C (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 15:15

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 15:15
If you're looking for the 'carpet of wildflowers' experience - it will move south as the temp rises. You should seek advice from local tourist offices near the time.

If you don't mind shifting camp every day or so, I suggest starting around Geraldton and working south on the fringe of the wheatbelt. There are plenty of nature reserves and rock outcrops and many are great to walk around at the right time.
AnswerID: 260496

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:21

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:21
you need to be more specific Wa has soooooo many places to go within a couple of days drive . Are you after
southern Forrests?
Deserts
outback granite outcrops
remote beaches
northern beaches
gascoyne'
pillbarra
and thats just off the top of my head
Northen wildflowers are a bit of a Non event for this time of year
let alone around October so maybe South?
General rule of thumb is the further from perth you go and the less well known sites you go the less people you share campgrounds with
AnswerID: 260545

Reply By: RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:41

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:41
Thanks to all who have replied. As we are pretty new to WA it doesn't really matter where we end up going for this trip. Just a short one but we do want to get away from it all and see some things outside of Perth.

Would have preferred to have gone now to catch the wild flowers in full swing but I guess we cant have everything.

Have done some searching on here and will also check out the tourist information. I am sure with the variety of places to get away to here we are certain to find something interesting.

Have to keep wife and kids happy before I subject them to the CSR next year :)

Cheers

Richard

AnswerID: 260618

Reply By: Gwarra - Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 10:36

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 10:36
Hi Richard,
Also only been inWA for around 5 months and settled in Geraldton. Have been getting things together for a trip to Alice Springs. Pushased a book from RAC offices , Gascoyne,Murchisn outback pathways by Samille Mitchell.Gives info on the Miners, Wool wagen and Kingsford pathways. Nicely illustrated ,with maps and places of interest.Chech it out. We did the Miners path recently.Geraldton.Yalgoo,MtMagnet. Cue, Meekatharra,Sandstone and Paynes Find.Really enjoyed it and especially the bush camping at Peace Gorge, west of Meekatharra.
As a bonus, flower and a round route, not using the same roads to return to Perth.
Hah, you need to get out of Peth, jeez,we go to Perth to get out of Geraldton ;-).Naa, not that bad.
Cheers
Bryn
AnswerID: 264448

Reply By: RFLundgren (WA) - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 00:20

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 00:20
Well given the limited time that we have to get away from this trip, we will most likely head south. out through Hyden and Wave Rock on to Esperance, Point Ann, Albany and home. Personally I prefer going inland to the deserts, but we do have to get down south while we are in Perth. I figure the Margaret River area we can do over a series of long weekends as that is not too far to go.

As we are planning a CSR trip next year, heading out late July hopefully we should see plenty of wildflowers on that trip. We are however hoping to see some as we head south, if we do great and if not I am sure we should have a great trip in any case.

Am also planning an alternate trip, most likely north just in case the weather is nt on our side, so will make the call on which way we go the night before we set off.

Cheers

Richard

AnswerID: 264528

Sponsored Links