2005 patrol 4.2td turbo upgrade

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 10:24
ThreadID: 50118 Views:8019 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
i got a 2005 Nissan patrol 4.2td wgn and thinking about getting united fuel injection to do a turbo upgrade where the hone out the turbo and place a bigger wheel etc when i spoke to them they reckon should gain 20% more power..... just wondering if any one has had it done yet or any other suggestions to wake up the 4.2 i currently have fitted a mtq 3" exhaust and dump pipe, 2 hyclones but need a little bit more power also gotta use a lot less fuel.....lol at the moment done 31k km but fuel usages is getting worse

Cheers:)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 15:03

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 15:03
Start by pulling out the hiiiiiiclones and installing them up your exhaust, that should improve your fuel economy. ( Ok, I'm kidding about the exhaust bit, best you make stubby coolers out of them, about all they're good for )
Next.... what state/city are you in ?

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 264371

Reply By: barney rubble - Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 19:26

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 19:26
Gday haka mate my 03 4.2 td patrol became alot happier after the snorkel fitted and even better with a k & n filter not too sure on filtration qaulity of kn filter but goes good enough for me with no other engine mods cheers
AnswerID: 264390

Follow Up By: Hard Yaka- Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 20:35

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 20:35
yeah i got all the snorkel ,intercooler ,k&n filter but for $1700 for the turbo upgrade and says they can gain 22% more power plus save heaps of fuel so sounds like a good money spent just thought someone in W.A might have had the mod done and can fill in any blank spots

FollowupID: 526134

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 20:48

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 20:48
G'day Hard, how are ya?.
We recently got the upgrade from United Fuel Injection. Bloody good value i reckon. Full turbo upgrade, full three inch zorst and the dyno tune has made a very big difference to the Patrol. Ours in an 06 4.2tdi wagon and it is a completely different car to what comes out of the factory.
Best way is to describe it as a slug ex factory and bloody brilliant after the upgrade.
Fuel usage was a problem fora few weeks after it was done tho,,,,just had to keep putting the foot down and grinning everywhere i went....tho it is slowly getting better now that SWMBO keeps telling (or is that screaming..:) ) me to drive it for betterr economy......
Just a happy customer,,,,no affiliation,,,yada yada yada..

meow.

rick.
AnswerID: 264402

Follow Up By: Hard Yaka- Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 21:16

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 at 21:16
Thx Rick so the upgrade you got is that where they kept the std turbo and change the insides plus made it breath better or did you go for the bigger turbo casing....

thx for the input think its sold me

cheers:)
FollowupID: 526141

Reply By: Old Mal - Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 16:29

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 16:29
Hi Hard Yaka,

I've got a 2004 Nissan GU 4.2 TD ute and recently (4 months ago) got a stage 2 power upgrade from MTQ in Perth as I've got nearly a tonne of slide on camper on it most of the time and needed more power. Their stage 2 upgrade involves re- machining the turbo and replacing both wheels with bigger ones, bigger dump valve and 3" mandrel bent exhaust system

Power is up approx 22% and torque approx 18% which is a bit under what MTQ advertise but the driveability is significantly better. I can now cruise at 100kph with the camper on in cruise control and it hardly bats an eyelid at hills but strong headwinds still take their toll a bit.

When passing through Toowoomba recently where MTQ have their headquarters, I dropped my vehicle into them for a checkup and they spent 6 hours on it replacing a blown exhaust gasket, reset the fuel pump and boost pressures then put it over the dyno again - all at no charge which I feel was pretty special.

Economy wise, I'm getting approx 40km more per tankfull (90 litres maintank) but am also driving it faster and harder as I have more power so I'm pretty happy. As you know, economy can be very variable with headwinds and hills when carrying or towing a big load.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the results and happy to recommend MTQ for a Nissan 4.2 litre diesel upgrade. If you want more info, give me a buzz on 0407 423 163. I'm in Melbourne until 8th Oct then heading back to Perth
AnswerID: 264481

Follow Up By: Hard Yaka- Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 16:51

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 16:51
Thanks Mal

sounds like the same reason why i want to get my 4.2 done aswell nothing worse cruising up a slight hill and it kicks out of cruise control

ive booked it in on the 24th Oct i shall post the dyno's results once i get back to paraburdoo from holidays

FollowupID: 526221

Sponsored Links