Qld overnight rest areas

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 13:07
ThreadID: 50143 Views:12354 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at the Qld Govt "Guide to Queensland Roads" rest areas map/guide they list MR (main road) in blue where you can stay overnight and in red where you can't. If it has neither, but an "L" meaning local govt, with all facilities, toilets, water, bbq, tables etc can you stay overnight at these places? We're heading north and unfortunately, will hit the busy Gold Coast/Brisbane area when we want to stop. Listed are Burleigh Heads, Coolangatta. Are these o/night stops? Or can anyone recommend anything between Yelgun and Caloundra?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 14:41

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 14:41
There is an excellent rest area permitting overnights at Petrie just north from Brisbane.

It is on the old highway north so if travelling out of Brisbane towards Caloundra turn off at Bald Hills heading for Starthpine/ Petrie. follow your nose the area is on the left after crossing North Pine River (after Strathpine but just before Petrie.

However Caloundra is only an hour away from Petrie.
AnswerID: 264474

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 15:32

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 15:32
cheers Alan. Wondered about that one. Might give it a go.
FollowupID: 526217

Follow Up By: RovingOz (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 19:57

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 at 19:57
Watch out for the colourful domestics from the 'mob' in their tents. Starts about midnight. Learnt some new swear words there one night last year. Also had the cops arrest the bloke sleeping in the car next door about 9.00pm. You get some strange characters at that one.
FollowupID: 526245

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:23

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:23
I live in the Gold Coast.

I would re-plan your trip so that you pass rest just before and then go right through the Gold Coast/Brisbane corridor as the only rest areas are the service centres.

Any other rest areas would be day use only and certainly not in the built up areas of Burleigh and Coolangatta. To get to any of these places you have to drive off the M1.

Trust me once you get on the M1 and Gateway Arterial fdo it resh just keep going. You don't even want to attempy it in the morning between 5 and 10 AM, unless you want to sit on the Gateway Arterial "carapark".
AnswerID: 264548

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:21

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:21
I think if we're not on course for the Caloundra stop at a reasonable hour, we'll stop at Yelgun. I was taken in by those Coolangatta/Burleigh stops marked as rest areas because they'd be convenient to break the journey at that annoying Tugun>> section. Doubt if we'd get much rest in those rest areas though.

;)
FollowupID: 526320

Sponsored Links