Suspension and Tyre modifications

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 16:38
ThreadID: 50751 Views:4392 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to suspension and tyre modifications which seems to be at bit of a grey area with Qld Transport.

Suspension: the Qld Transports mod rules talks more about lowering vehicles (ie not reducing ride height measurement between the rubber bump stop and the metal stop by more than one third) but they don't mention anything about increased ride height other than not using extended shackles on leaf springs. Does this mean that there are no restrictions on suspension lift heights as long as extended shackles aren't used? How much lift can be achieved without using extended shackles? Any recommendation on good kits?

Tyres: Qld Transport rules say "the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm". That doesn't allow much. What with all these rigs getting around with 33" and 35" tyres. They would obviously contravene the QT rules. How are they legal? Why would they drive around with an illegal vehicle if insurance is void if the vehicle is illegal? They may as well not have insurance. What's the deal?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Darren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 17:10

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 17:10
Can't help you in regard to QLD Tpt requirements. As to driving around in illegaly modified vehicles and the probability of voiding insurance, that doesn't worry many drivers. Their attitude along the lines of: ..'well if I don't get caught what's the problem?' No doubt their attitude to road rules and obligations to other road users would be similar. Quicker they are put off the road for good, the better for the remainder who try and do the right thing. But do they squeal and whimper when their vehicles are refected or better still put off the road under 'Hoon Legislation'. Best thng Govts. ever did regarding recalcitrant offenders.
Best advice for you, keep it legal and you won't have any worries re law or insurance. Good luck.
AnswerID: 267674

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 17:16

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 17:16
QLD aside, I've seen some crazy vehicles on the roads at times - rediculous heights and tyre widths etc - usually earlier fourbies restored to very good nick but modified to all getout as well - my guess is they aren't even insured, because sure as hell they would be wasting their time making a claim after a bingle.
AnswerID: 267676

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 18:08

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 18:08
Hi Darren, as far as Im aware a 50mm suspension lift is legal in all states, [leaf or coil], and is regarded as the norm. Higher lifts require engineer certs.
The use of extended shackles was a little more common a few years ago however, some were home made and were not up to the job. They are still used these days but tend to be imported.
The legality and insurance issue? That seems to be up to the owner. If your vehicle appears well looked after and you dont do stupid things on the road then the Law doesnt look at you twice.

DIO's comments strike me as a little strong though in that any modification to a vehicle would automaticaly class one as a "HOON".

Judging by the rig profiles, 80% of OE members are HOONS!!!! LOL..

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 267685

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 19:32

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 19:32
Yep I'm a hoon, commemts are a bit strong but at my age it,s not bad to be called a hoon. I'm feeling younger already
FollowupID: 530079

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 19:24

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 19:24
I went from 29" to 32" on my paj, but got it blue plated as a legalmod just in case, in 1998.
In my discussions with the mechanic who did the change for me, we looked at other models which were running 31" tyres.

Not sure what all those people do with 33" and 35". :o)
Are they legal? I doubt it, but some may have got them blue plated.

One issue is brakes. e.g. going from 30" to 35" is 1/6th or 16% less braking force applied to the road.
Another issue is widening the track, since I understand that track (centre of tyre to centre of tyre) is not supposed to be increased by more than 20mm.
So you need to be careful with rim offsets.
I went from 235 in 15" to 235 in 16", so didn't widen the track.
AnswerID: 267699

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 21:29

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 21:29
Hi Darren, I googled Queensland Dept of transport, got This site, may be of real help
Shane
AnswerID: 267724

Follow Up By: Daz_QLD - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 21:57

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 21:57
Hi Shane. Yes thanks. I had already downloaded the vehicle modifications booklet and read it from cover to cover. That is where I learnt what I already knew. It still doesn't cover anything on suspension lift restrictions (only lowering).

Yes it does cover the topic of the tyre size increase... but it doesn't help me understand why all these people are driving around with these apparent illegal vehicles. Vehicles which are worth $50K plus which won't be insured if they get in a bingle. Why would these people take such a risk?

I've talked to 4wd educated people like the guys at ARB and they run oversizes tyres on their company vehicles. I would have thought they'd know the rules if anyone did.

I thought it would make more sense to make tyre mod specs as a percentage of the original tyre size instead of a one size suits all scenario. I can't understand what QT are thinking.

If anyone out there has 33" tyres or larger, I'd be happy to hear from you about this topic.
FollowupID: 530112

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:50

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:50
Daz

Your starting point is to look at the qld legislation which relates to modifying vehicles. ( and not some useless brochures)

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUVSSR99.pdf

(cut and paste if the link doesn't work)

Part 3 relates to modification and it references the" Code of practice - light vehicle" which is available from "go print". This appears to be a qld code of practice and not the National code of practice (NCOP) but I'm sure they are similar if not the same.

The national code of practice is available at the link below

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

You are interested in section 11 "NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and steering 3 Feb 2006 "

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

It discusses suspension and tyres.

There are two sections, one for modification "without certification" and one "with certification"
for exapample according to this code you can raise (body lift kit) a vehcile 50mm without certification, and up to 150mm with certification .
However, when different pieces of legislation tell a different thing then you abide by all of them. IN other words the lowest common denominbator. That means that if the QLD code of practice says the max is 50mm, then you CAN"T go any higher, even though the NCOP says you can.

The reason I say the max in QLD is 50mm, is that while we have no free access to the QLD code of practice, we have access to the guidelines for the inspection stations which are here:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Motorbikes/Vehicle_standards/Industry_codes_of_practice/

and the one we're intersted in is this one:
"AIS INFORMATION SHEET No. 18" (page 78)
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebae2409029c4b6/Pdf_veh_stds_ais_codeofpractice_section3_feb2004.pdf

What you will also notice is that the code of practice make references to the Audtralian deisgn rules (ADR) So you still have to comply with those as well and the code of practice and anything else the qld legislation says. ADR's are available also for a fee.

But to tell you dierctly what you're looking for:

Out of NCOP 11:
- up to 50mm larger tyre diameter for 4wd's
- tyres can be up to 50% wider
- 25mm max increase in wheel track (50mm if beam axles)
- in raised vehicles the original rebound trvael must be maintained.

clear as mud?

R.

AnswerID: 267779

Follow Up By: Steve L - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:30

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:30
The NCOP has NOT been ratified by any state at this point in time as far as I am aware. This info was passed on to me by the Technical Manager for the RTA (NSW) just the other week, so I doubt it has changed in the meantime - he couldn't even tell me when NSW would ratify it, but hoped it would be this year.

Once it is ratified, the NCOP regs will supercede any state regs, so there should be no confusion over 'lowest common denominator' type issues. That's the whole reason for it being 'national'.

The NCOP also limits the vehicle lift to include larger tyres as well as suspension lift and body lift. From memory you can have 150mm TOTAL lift - this includes increased tyre radius, suspension and body lifts. Anything above that is not allowed - full stop, i.e. no engineering, no nothing.
FollowupID: 530185

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:46

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:46
Steve

If by "ratified" you mean made into law through the state's legislation then you are correct.

Qld legislation only references the "code of practice" and not the "National Code Of Practice" (NCOP) That's why it's best to get your hands on this Qld document if you want to be sure.

Whether it will supersede existing law is a good question. NCOP probably hasn't been put into law because the states have different ideas of what should be legal and do not want their current laws superseded. Threrefore there may be some major changes to NCOP before it is "ratified".

R.
FollowupID: 530189

Follow Up By: Steve L - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:53

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 13:53
From discussion with the RTA manager, he will be accepting the NCOP for NSW as it is with no changes being requested.

Just a matter of getting it through into law........ (which is where the delay is).
FollowupID: 530191

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 14:00

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 14:00
Surely you're not suggesting that the politicians are being slack?

:)
FollowupID: 530194

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:09

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:09
Daz,

This should give you an indication of what the QLD Code of practice says on suspension changes.

"Suspension replacements may be approved if they:
· Do not alter the ride height of the vehicle by more than one-third of suspension travel specified by the vehicle manufacturer;"

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb14114ed1431db/VSI_L_1.0_Light_Vehicle_Replacement_Suspension_Modifications.pdf

And if this is the booklet that you had downloaded then it does say that for "lowering or raising" vehicles the bump stop travel must not change more then a third.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb57c508de5dea8/Modification_jan05v2.pdf

Cheers

AnswerID: 267782

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:13

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:13
and one more

The reason people have 33" tyres is because they weigh up the "risk vs benefit" and believe that the benefits of large tyres far outweigh the risk of being caught with an illegal vehicle.
FollowupID: 530169

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:33

Monday, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:33
Hi Darren
This was in the guide book,

Who are Approved Persons
and where do I find one?
Approved Persons are employed by private industry and
authorised by Queensland Transport to approve vehicle
modifications.
Automotive businesses throughout Queensland, including
most service stations which issue Safety Certificates,
have Approved Persons. The names and addresses of
Approved Persons are available at Queensland Transport
Customer Service Centres.
I would find an authorised inspection station, tell them what you are planning to do, and would they, in their opinion, certify as safe.
That way the opinion you now have will actually mean something, places that fit/alter 4WD probably have their own qualified inspectors but won't sign off on outside work.

I cannot understand why people go out and drink a skin full, then jump in their cars and attempt to drive home, similarly, those who are driving around in vehicles that are non compliant (whether borne from ignorance or stupidity) have done so at their own choice.
Shane
AnswerID: 267785

Reply By: Daz_QLD - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 at 17:48

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 at 17:48
Thanks everyone for your help. It certainly gives me some more to think about.
AnswerID: 268163

Sponsored Links