Old bloke pushing the envelope at 4,000km in a week

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 20:27
ThreadID: 51253 Views:4441 Replies:10 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
We left home at 5am en route to the Gold Coast on a family related matter. Jeddah the dog was dropped off for some RnR at Broken Hill and many thanks our friends and EO Member, Dave B and his good wife Nora, for taking care of her. Then it was on to Wilcannia. The lady at the food outlet said “Yeah, the short cut to Bourke should be dry by now, ye’ll be right” and the fella at the servo said “Nah, the road’s closed”. There were no signs up and so we took a punt on the gravel cutting off 90km from the journey. The road to Tilpa was smooth and we were able to set the cruise control to 100kmh. At Tilpa the road to Louth via the west track WAS closed due to recent rains. We ducked over the Darling River, and the rest of the road on the east side of the river was open but with quite a bit of water, ponded in the road depressions. Needless to say, there was a puddle I couldn’t miss and SWMBO berated me for getting her beloved Xtrail drenched in mud.

We hadn’t been back to Bourke since 1970 and the town seemed a lot greener and cleaner since that visit. The motel room was good and away from traffic and a great country meal and some liquids were enjoyed at the RSL. An interesting observation for this part of the trip was continuous Next G coverage between Wilcannia and Bourke.

The next day saw us take in Brewarrina, Walgett, Burren Junction(hot springs), Wee Waa, Narrabri, Mt Kaputar NP, Bingara, Capeton Dam, Inverell, Glen Innes, Gibraltar NP and down the hill to Grafton where the Xtrail enjoyed a car wash and we enjoyed a pub feed and another quiet motel. The scenery from Narrabri onwards was spectacularly lush and green and something to behold.

The Princes Hwy north from Grafton to around near Byron Bay was disappointing to say the least. It still hasn’t been upgraded to Highway status! The Sunday traffic was busy and many cars went whizzing past at speeds well above the posted 100kmh. All the tailgaters drove 4x4’s !

The Gold Coast was hot and humid with scattered storms about and after doing what we needed to do, we pulled out of there on Wednesday morning and made for Rathdowney in the Hinterland where we had morning tea, sticky buns, creamed donuts and hot scones with EO Member Ruth(of Birdsville Caravan Park fame). Her husband Ian had buggered off somewhere and never turned up. I did leave one donut for him. Very gracious of me, eh? EO Member Doug T and his mate Dusty joined us there and chatter in the air-conditioned shed covered a wide range of subjects. We said our goodbyes after few hours of sojourn and made it to Warwick and then Goondiwindi for another 4 star motel and a very expensive plate of food (but it was good tucker!!). The patter of rain during the night sent us into dreamland.

The next morning we tackled the Newell Highway to Moree. A Kenworth with single dog screamed past me at a rate of knots and I followed it but gave up the chase when the speed got to 130kmh! At Moree we luxuriated in the hot artesian waters of the local spa. It has three pools. One at 29 degrees, one at 38 degrees and one at 41 degrees. Phew, that last one was HOT. SWMBO got chatted up by the local gigolo in the pool and we had a good laugh about that. Then we pushed on to Collarenebri, Walgett, Brewarrina and stayed in the same motel at Bourke where we were given a suite at the same price as an ordinary room. Yesterday we took the road to Cobar and dropped in to Gundabooka NP along the way to read the notice board and found out about the Leopardwood Tree Flindersia maculosa . Later in the day we saw some of them on the side of the road and had a good look. Fascinating bark. I spoke with a local fella at one of the roadside stops and he said if you cut a branch you can clearly see the growth rings. Stayed over in Broken Hill last night, collected the dog and made it home before lunch today. Some rain last night and creeks were running between Cockburn and Yunta. I measured 28mm at home, which takes our rainfall now to 15mm above the annual average. The Peterborough district is enjoying green pastures at the moment.

Observations
Most expensive ULP Wilcannia @ $1.57
Cheapest ULP Gold Coast @ $1.15
Best fuel consumption 8.6lt/100km
Worst fuel consumption 10.9lt/100km(city cycle cut and thrust)
Waeco fridge flashed the Error light there and back. I put it on bypass thermostat and it cooled the stuff in the fridge down sufficiently. Will check the power supply tomorrow and repair where necessary
Next G phone coverage on whole route (basic ZTE 850 Telstra phone)
Lots of flash 4bies on the Gold Coast smothered in chrome
Fewer older cars on the road
Most of the young casual skirts display their wares to the max and that makes an old blokes' eyes pop out at times
There only seem to be young people or old people on the GC. No inbetweeners…lol
Motels over $90 per night room only, are good and comfy
Motels under $90 per night tend to be a bit sleazy
Some motel operators give no receipts
A servo owner in the bush wanted a signature on an eftpos transaction as he said so many cards are stolen ones
We saw mobs of Emus and chicks, Goats and kids, Sheep and lambs, Fat Cattle, a Perentie, Bearded Dragons, Stumpy Tail lizards, Parrots, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Red Tailed Cockatoos, a Feral Deer near Walgett, a dead Razorback porker near Cobar.
Traffic flowed smoothly and the trucks and road trains posed no hazards along the way. But there are some lead footed drivers around who take scant notice of posted speed limits.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal B - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 20:38

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 20:38
what was the reason for the trip missed that bit mal b
AnswerID: 269937

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 20:46

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 20:46
Its in the first sentence
FollowupID: 532842

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:37

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:37
Crikey Willem, all that data and you only drew breath once! (Judith barely got a look in, let alone a quote.)
Mate, you must be dead cheesed-off with flying. A marathon trip for an important but brief event so far away.

Hope to cross paths next year - dunno.

Sorry to hear that Dusty brought Doug along.

Best of health to yers all. (Dusty told Jess that Jeddah sent a 'get-well' mm after his op. Bloody Masters, eh.
Regards to your mob eh.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 532861

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:53

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:53
G'day Jeff

Flying from here is problematical. 250km to the nearest airport. Find somewhere to leave car. Then fly to destination. Can't hire car at destination cos' no credit card...lol Better take taxi's. No too difficult. Better drive there and have freedom of movement.

Bloody dogs sending each other emails...what next???...LOL

Yeah we had better catch up sometime.

Cheers
FollowupID: 532862

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:07

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:07
Hi Willem,
Nice to see you out and about enjoying yourself. I do a lot of reading on the forum and not as much writing as I used to. Excellent report covers everything of interest, pleasure to read well written.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 269940

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:48

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:48
G'day Martyn

Good to see you are still around. Have been following your exploits with the Disco.

Yeah this was a trip I didn't want to do but had to. Anyway its good to get out there and see some of the sights from time to time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 532850

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:45

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:45
Willem,
Yeap I've recently had a couple of problems with the Disco, everything seems to be good now, the original failure was what I would call random so there's not a lot I can do about that. The second failure on the other hand was I have to admit down to an assembly error on my behalf.Well that looks like the most reasonable explanation, sometimes these things happen, and thankfully there wasn't a to expensive outcome.
Ok I'm off to cook breakfast, catch you around the traps. Bye for now.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 532915

Reply By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:25

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:25
Willem
Good to see you got home safely and had a good trip, Now I'm going to NAG you ....Princes Hwy Starts at Sydney and ends at Adelaide via Melbourne.
You were on the Pacific Hwy.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 269942

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:45

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:45
Hmmm yes...for once you are right....LOL
FollowupID: 532849

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:55

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 21:55
When i was in Bourke it seems it was the new Wilcannia. Listening to the local radio we were amazed at how much crime was in Bourke. I think it may have left Wilcannia in its wake.
AnswerID: 269948

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:06

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:06
Now when was that Mr Brew? In the dark ages? I saw that most locals were driving new cars and 4bies. Maybe they were stolen....lol
FollowupID: 532853

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:12

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:12
Ummm 2 years ago. Did your motel have lock up gates ? LOL
FollowupID: 532855

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:55

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:55
Ummm...... yes .....and an electric fence on the river side......LOL
FollowupID: 532881

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:19

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 22:19
Glad to hear you're home safe and sound after such a quick trip. It is good news that they have had rain along the Darling.

Regards

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 269952

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:01

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:01
Hello Motherhen

I must attract the rain....lol

Some parts of western NSW still extremely dry with very little or no ground fodder for sheep. Goats thrive however but mustering them must be a problem

Cheers
FollowupID: 532865

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:00

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:00
Like Motherhen above, pleased to see you are home safe after such a trip. I don't partiicularly like rushed ones like that much these days but the adrenelin can keep you going I know.

Bet Jude's foot was ready to hit your pedal a few times to slow you in the X-Trail, just a few 4x4 owners whanted you faster. Safe home Bro.
AnswerID: 269959

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:26

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:26
Yeah Bro...I was so pumped up when I got home a I moved 60 bags of concrete by hand from one side of the shed to the other just so I could get the trailer out. New canopy goes on the trailer tomorrow.

Jude drove some of the way but she loses concentration and does some silly moves to which I voice an opinion and then my turn to drive again comes up fast....hahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 532868

Follow Up By: QLD Kev - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:46

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:46
That's the worst thing with the X Trail, where the speedo is LOL
SWMBO has a clear view of it in the passenger seat.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 532879

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:54

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:54
Kev

But the driver doesn't have a clear view methinks, especially when SWMBO is driving....lol Jude got a bluey in the mail when we arrived home for doing 59 in our main street last week. I keep on at her to watch her speed when she's behind the wheel but no notice is taken. Maybe forking out nearly $200 for nothing will make her concentrate more....hahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 532880

Follow Up By: QLD Kev - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:03

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:03
It should have cruise control which is good for some driving LOL

I am still trying to work out who the Old Bloke was from the post title as there is only reference to you and Jude.
Oh hang on Doug T was in there wasn't he LOL He has put some miles in this week as well I think

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 532882

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:17

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:17
Come to think of it, it could be Doug.....hahahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 532885

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:41

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 23:41
Gday Willem,

We did a similar trip this time last year - Adelaide to Sunshine coast, then to Sydney, Canberra and home and did it in Kathryn's X-trail. They are a great little car for touring - we had nothing in it and got 8.2 l/100k on premium unleaded.

I was looking at the new X-trail yesterday at the dealers - better off keeping the one you've got. New model weighs 100kg more, has more overhang, is 5" longer and no extra room for the passengers. Its also got all that electric garbage like traction control, hill descent control etc etc And its got less power than the pre 2005 ones. Hopefully they don't lose butterfly screws in the intake :-) But the automatic is now a constant variable transmission (CVT) - wierd concept - just a car with no gears - takes all the fun out of driving.

Cheers
AnswerID: 269963

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:10

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:10
Phil

Personally I don't like that super direct steering. But the little car is stable on the road. Haven't looked at the new one yet. Anyway this one will have to do for a while.

Is yours an auto as well? We can only get to the 8lt/100km mark by driving below 90 on regular unleaded

I notice a humming sound coming from the rear of the car. Could be just tyre noise. The rear tyres, now on 22,000km, are scalloping on the inside. Will take car to tyreman tomorrow for evaluation

Cheers
FollowupID: 532883

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:17

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:17
Ours is a manual. Nissan say 9.4l/100k for the manual and 9.8 for the auto.

But my son is buying our X-trail off us, so we've been shopping for an ST auto for ourselves. Decided against the new model, so we've bought a white runout demo ST-S auto. I service all the family vehicles, so its nice to have a couple that are the same, so I've got a vague idea of what to do :-)) The X-trails are dead easy to work on.

Also looked at some low km used X-trails. Most were ex-rental and the odd one had been trashed - one had major bashes in the sump and auto transmission pan, and I reckon it had never had its oil changed in 39,000k - it was jet black and overfilled by about 2".

The humming sound. Is there anything rattling around in the spare tyre compartment?? Tailgate shutting tight? Wheel trims falling apart??
FollowupID: 532906

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:32

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:32
Jude's Xtrail is a 2003 model ST Auto. It was an ex-rental with 25,000 on the clock but in good condition and only small chip in windscreen. She bought it in 2004 when it was 9 months old. It now has 72,000 on the clock

The humming sound is definitely outside and underneath the vehicle. The rear compartment and numplate rattles are distinct....lol
FollowupID: 532909

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 08:50

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 08:50
Welcome Back Willem.

Nice to see you getting some rain up there and nice report too.

I've always contemplated dropping in at Gundabooka to see and never got around to it.

Best regards to Judith and Jedda... and hope everyone's well after the excitement.
Andrew.
AnswerID: 269983

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:08

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:08
G'day Andrew

Yeah pretty soggy here now. So far 315mm for the year and 15mm over our average annual rainfall whereas in 2006 only 240mm fell.

What excitement?

Cheers
FollowupID: 532927

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:10

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:10
Welcome back to the real world Willie!

I did get a Skype pop-up on my puter screen when you were at BH, but by the time I got to the puter and hit the "OK" button, I guess it was too late.

Anyway......sounds like you had a good trip....I reckon you were pretty "brave" to tackle the backroad you described from Wilcannia to Tilpa etc, but as you came through unscathed, you obviously made a good judgement call....

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 270000

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:31

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:31
Yeah...Dave B(NSW) and I were mucking around with Skype getting it installed to his computer. He is all set up now.

Cheers
FollowupID: 532934

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 15:29

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 15:29
G'day Dad,

You got the heading right.....lol lol

Good to see youse both back safe and sound.

Trust you got it all sorted.

Catch up with you during the week....

Cheers
AnswerID: 270035

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 20:12

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 20:12
You coming this way, young fella?

Cheers
FollowupID: 533046

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 20:23

Sunday, Nov 04, 2007 at 20:23
Nup,

After a drive like that, you should bring Jude to the pool
for some R & R............

-and the Coffee House is up and running...

Cheers
FollowupID: 533048

Sponsored Links