HEMA Map Accuracy

Submitted: Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:53
ThreadID: 52191 Views:2218 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As a follow up to post 52183Site Link, Douglas M (SA) wrote "The maps we had (Hemma) indicated gas where there was none."

Has anyone else found the HEMA map information inaccurate, particularly the info on fuel?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 12:49

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 12:49
I would not be trusting any map or for that matter in car navigation system to give reliable information on anything other than topographic features. Any other information is totally reliant on the businesses involved and whether they are viable or not. At least with topographic features there is a reasonable chance they will remain in existence for some years, or at least evidence of their existence can still be seen, but as far as fuel points, motels etc, who knows?

As far as HEMA maps are concerned I'll put in a plug for them. I think they are a very good well researched product.

Toolman
AnswerID: 274762

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 16:35

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 16:35
I met a bloke up in Broome who had a gas only F350 and he planned his trip up from Vic to the Nth degree with Gas suppliers etc. He had around 4 or 500 ks range. Anyhow he got to this little spot in QLD and the town had no gas and didn't plan to get any, actually none for about 500ks so an all up lift to the next spot with gas was an expensive exercise.
AnswerID: 274788

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 16:58

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 16:58
The Great Desert Trek series had some serious errors (not sure if fixed on current issue) on track position and particually GPS reference points.
The Hema High Country map is a shocker for detail showing both tracks that aren't even there as well as missing some key roads. Barely even accurate enough for general planning let alone navigating the minor tracks.
As for fuel availability that can change all the time and paper maps/books just could never be accurate. Better to do an internet search then ring up the service station to be sure. (Or buy a diesel ;-)
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 274797

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 18:07

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 18:07
I believe I found an error on the High country map also.

We were doing the McKillop bridge loop when I am sure the map is very wrong in positioning some features.

Unfortunately, It is too far away and didn't have the time to really check it out. One day I'll go back and generate a map for comparison.
AnswerID: 274811

Reply By: rabbley - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 22:11

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 22:11
You blokes are confirming what I have found also. The attention to detail on many of these maps is sadly lacking.

very suss
AnswerID: 274862

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 23:59

Monday, Dec 03, 2007 at 23:59
From what Ive seen hema is to maps waht coopers is to tyres
all advertising
nothing to back it up
Ive got one hema map and it had little more detail than a generic road map
Havnr used it since
AnswerID: 274882

Reply By: Member - Mike M (VIC) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 13:06

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 13:06
We used the High Country map on Cup Day and decided to head south out of Porepunkah on the Buckland Valley Road. We turned off onto Goldie Spur Track and according to the map were going to head towards Dandongadale on on to Whitfield. There were roads on this map. Four hours later, trying every road, coming to a burnt out bridge (obviously in the 2004 fires) which was not on the recently released Hema Map, we had to backtrack in failing light to Porepunkah to get out of there.
After buying a 25 year old government surveyors map of the area (spent the money just to convince ourselves we weren't stupid) Hema is so out. These are all roads that have been there for yonks because they followed the powerlines to the top of the mountain and down again.
We saw the Hema man and spoke at length to him at the last 4x4 show in Melbourne and he was telling us how they travel all the roads on their maps over time.
There is no way they have ever travelled the road we were on and didn't even bother to get other maps that may have been accurate. If they haven't travelled them, I feel they shouldn't included them in their maps that so many people think of as accurate.
Jan
AnswerID: 275491

Sponsored Links