<span class="highlight">Footloose</span> has inspired me

Submitted: Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 20:09
ThreadID: 52836 Views:2177 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
After reading Footy's recent short stories it inspired me to put pen to paper:

In early 2005 I received a call from an old stockman living outside of Perth who I've known for a while. He wanted to find an old forgotten Stock Route in the Pilbura some where south east of the De Gray.

Why not I thought, and left the Village in late May.

The trip west was uneventful, until I almost skittled a copper who jumped onto the road as I was coming into Ceduna. This fella had a fair bit of attitude and was getting under my collar.

Had a go at him for being a stupid mongrel for jumping in front of the car like that.... anyway it turned out alright in the end (more on that later).

Next morning I toddled off to Eucla and decided have a bit of look around in the local area. After coming back to the camp ground I went up to service station to buy a packet of smokes.

There was a fella in there dressed as a woman having a yarn to the attendant. Bit out of place I thought then went back to camp. Later in the evening, this gorgeous thing wanders in and starts chatting me up. Then the question of money came up, and the penny dropped.

Later on I passed them in a Combi, and sure enough the guy dressed up as a women and the shirla were in the car together.

Then moved on to Kalgoorlie to stock up prior to Meekatharra.

Unfortunately, rather than be sensible I went down to that pub where the Palm tree is, got full as a boot and finished up scrapping with some fella, which resulted in dental damage and a few other tickles.

Met up with my mate and his mate in Meekatharra then headed north to pick up a track leading into a cattle station we were going to stay for a couple of days. We were barely out of town when this dill jumps out into the middle of the road in a work area.

My mate had to come to a hard stop to avoid road kill. He (the dill) gets on the UHF and starts stirring up the road crew.

My mate puts up with this for a minute or so then got on the radio and told them were to stick their $5000 fine. Everything went quiet after that.

We had a feed and a beer at Kumarina and later on found a dry creek bed off the track mentioned above approximately 70 Kms west of the Northern Highway.

The two of us (the other fella was in his swag) then proceeded to drink, and give dribble a new meaning......but by golly we were happy sitting around that fire!

The next instalment go's down hill a bit unfortunately.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 20:39

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 20:39
Thanks for sharing Kim. I'm jealous. (But my shielas as Eucla were real :)
I don't do fights: I'm a lover not a fighter. Besides, they'd only have to breathe on me and they'd be up for man slaughter :))
AnswerID: 278309

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:11

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:11
You could have told us more about the history of that stock route. More about your history with those blokes, who sound like characters by themselves.
You do lead an interesting life, don't you ? :))
FollowupID: 542342

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 00:03

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 00:03
Footloose

I Really did enjoye your story. it was colourful and entertaining. Wish I could express myself like you do.

The history of this stock route, like so many others is lost in time.

It took an enormous amoumt of work to find old titles to even find this stock route. But we did. Many thanks to the locals.

It was a bit of a hard trip, but worthwhile.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 542369

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 07:34

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 07:34
Kim, a good yarn will always interest people. Writing them down isn't hard, just write it as you'd tell it around the fire.
I notice that you did a great job expanding on the stock route: congrats.
I tend to be a bit long winded. Take a peek on Amazon.com for books by a bloke called Jim Potts.
Anyway I'll take an honest, interesting story over a literary masterpiece any day.
FollowupID: 542381

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 20:40

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 20:40
Kim,

This only whets the appetite.....more please,

Surely the episode in Kalgoorlie is worth more than a mention..LOL

-and the mind boggles at the 'guy dressed up as a women".........

methinks you lead an 'interesting' life

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 278310

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:09

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:09
I hope he didn't run into too many of em out there. I believe we have to refer to em as "transgender people" these days. I know one but its another long story...too long for EO. Needless to say when "he's" in civvies you wouldn't pick "him" (she, it ?) as being different to anyone else. (married with 3 kids would you believe)
FollowupID: 542341

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:09

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 21:09
"The next instalment go's down hill a bit unfortunately."

Boy it couldn't much worse then that... LOL

I would stick to my day job..

Regards

Richard

AnswerID: 278319

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 22:44

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 22:44
Woke up next morning around 5.30am with a thumping head, and got the fire going. After a feed and coffee we were ready to go.

The day started off crashing through the bush to find a certain Creek to see if cattle could be watered at the top end of the route.

We found it, but the banks where so overgrown it would be impossible for cattle to break through.

We then moved on to the homestead and spent the night. I made a couple of fundamental mistakes. Firstly I didn't take my hat off when entering the kitchen and didn't make up the bed in the morning.

There's no excuse for this, given that I was raised in the bush.

The route we were looking at was barred by an escarpment and a lot of country that hasn't been travelled in fifty years.

Arrangements were made with a local station manager to give us aerial support around 10am. However, the bush around the creeks was giving us real problem. The cars where copping a fair bit of damage and the so called plan went out the window.

We then arrived at what I call "Jump up country" which made navigation a bit easier, but started to give us some real issues with tyres. We got down to the lower half of the route then got bushed around an isolated cattle tank.

By this stage, on the second last day, things were getting a bit short and the mood of the fellas wasn't particularly good. In fact we had a fair blue at this point.

Anyway we finally made it out of there, with the help of a Roo shooter.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 542360

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 23:10

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 at 23:10
Kim

Wrong button again.. LOL

"but started to give us some real issues with tyres." It should have

A Prado with Mags and a Triton Ute with car tyres on, is this Somewhere in WA?

Are anyways its good to get out and have a go...

the thing about the hat and bed is we left our mothers year ago
FollowupID: 542363

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 13:00

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 13:00
Kim,
That sheila at Eucla wasn't the Nullarbor Nymph, was she? LOL
I believe she went to ground back in the 70's. Probably a bit old now.
Gerry

BTW, a merry Xmas to you all!
Gonna be 39 in Perth today. Scoffing the turkey in a/c comfort. Glad I'm not out bush....
AnswerID: 278373

Sponsored Links