Cundelee - Plumridge Lakes - Lake Rason

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 19:24
ThreadID: 53793 Views:2840 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for somewhere to go in May and after a bit of advice from those who may have been there or just know. Permit for the Trans Access Track between Kal-Rawlinna? I was under the impresion only from Rawlinna hdg East. The track into Cundelee from the Sth shows permit req'd. I thought Cundelee was deserted - from where/who does the permit get issued? Also the map shows 'washaway bypass' - must be some washaway? From Cundelle via Queen Victoria Springs to Plumridge Lakes - via the Cable Haul Rd or the track from the West? I was then planning on via Lake Rason back to Laverton. There has been a bit of rain around - any updates on this part of the world......thinking of undergrowth and tracks being covered by trees etc. Any info on the tracks or area appreciated. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:09

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:09
any rain in the area may swell the creek south of Cundelee, which is the most likely place to stop you.I've not used the by-pass, but I believe the reason the community was moved to the new site was because of the frequent access problems across the creek causeway.
AnswerID: 283177

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:17
Last time i went through cundalee in 04 it was deserted. Ponton creek only really flows with large rain events around Leonora
All those tracks tyou speak of were smoth uncorragated tracks with no thick undergrowth etc
AnswerID: 283181

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:18
Oh anfd the transline is PAR to rwlinna
FollowupID: 547774

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:38
Per-mits available onlinehere

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 283186

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 21:47

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 21:47
Maverick Hi

no permit needed to travel from Kal. to Rawlinna.
Permit for Cundelee as below Permits
But you must call manager at Cundelee for permission (Cundelee was moved to Coonana years ago because of flooding).

Last time I call the manager did not even realise that the dia gave out permits???

Treckie is the last person I know to travel from QV springs to the railway line.

The cable haul road is the road that the aboriginal artist died last year, It is now used as a mine haul road from the railway line to the Connie Sue, then up it and out the Tjuntjuntjarra road, it was the worst bull dusted road I have ever travelled 40 m wide 1 m deep, bowel waves over the bonnet stuff.

but was told they are drilling for water to make a better road..

Regards

Richard

AnswerID: 283200

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:10

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:10
How things change Phill G +entaurage and I travelled the cable haul road in 05 and it was a perfect track. I was running low on fuel and was able to save alot by travelling at a steady 40-50kph
FollowupID: 547847

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 00:29

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 00:29
As Richard said we were there 18 months ago. Really great trip.
We came from Kal via Pinjin to QV Springs and Cundeelee, Zanthus and South to Fraser Range Station. (as a courtesy we contacted Fraser Range re the drive from Zanthus to Fraser Range)

Zanthus is worth a good look around at the train wreck - the track in behind the wrecked train (spur line) goes through to Cundeelee - I am not sure if you need a permit for this road. As said above, there was no-one at Cundeelee when we came through, however there appears to have been extensive recent work done on one of the larger buildings that appeared to at one stage have been community centres. The work was recent (then) and I would be interested to know if more has been done, or if anyone lives there. Pinjin and Old Pinjin are worth several days to explore and ponder the absolute wastage that Government has put into indiginous property - Cundelee has interesting history when people were (forcefully) moved from SAust to WA - Beautiful country as is QV Springs.

All the roads are good (slow in places) and I doubt that they would have changed much in 18 months considering how long they have been there and probably have not been maintained for several decades

One day we will do the same trip again
Make sure you camp the night along the trans Australia - its a great experience.

My earlier Thread was ThreadID: 34752

You can also look at the following web
http://george4wd.taskled.com/oz2003.html

I tracked the author down - currently lives in USA

AnswerID: 283232

Sponsored Links