3 weeks away

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 19:27
ThreadID: 59167 Views:2769 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've got 3 weeks , family of 4 & an jayco camper trailer.
Put together this rough map with 2 nights in each spot, leaving & returning to Sydney.

The_Map

Has anyone done a similar trip & do you think it's too much for 3 weeks ?
THxs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 19:41
Hi, Google only calculates that at 4,451 km – about 2 days 9 hours.
So 2 days at each spot is 18 days "easy."
Only joking LOL.
There is not huge distances between stops on good roads.
Just remember to stop and smell the roses or in other words take your time and if something looks interesting stop and have a gander.
Have a good trip,
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 312053

Follow Up By: ss--ss - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:46
Thanks, Yes I was thinking 2 nights in each place should be ok.
FollowupID: 578021

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:45

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:45
ss--ss

That trip is very do-able, but I questionif you will get the most out of it with 2 nights at each stop.

2 nights effectively gives you 1 full day at each place, on the face of it that is good but....... to take Longreach as just one example, because I have been there. We spent nearly 2 full days at the Stockman's Hall of Fame. Our kids at the time were 11,7 & 6 and we had to drag them out. We also visited the Pastoral College and the School of the Air. We did not visit the Qantas museum or spend anytime just wandering around town. A lot of the interest in country towns, at least for me, is not in the tourist attractions but it is in watching the locals, looking at their shops and seeing how they go about things. You won't have time for that with just 2 nights in each spot, even with short drives in between.

I would recommend that you use your plan as a starting point and be prepared to modify/ditch it when you find somewhere you find interesting. I personally would spend more time inland and use the run down the coast as a transport stage. Whilst many of the places along the coast are very pretty, the beautiful sandy beaches and spectacular headlands tend to run together after a while.

These days I like to drive less and look more.

Just my thoughts
Duncs
AnswerID: 312070

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 09:53

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 09:53
It also depends if traveling is your destination or you're traveling to a destination.
With three weeks we drove from Cobar (7hrs west of you) all the way across to Albany WA and spent about 10 days with the grandparents. and a few extra days elsewhere. You could say we pretty much rushed across, our aim was to do 500k's driving a day but we generally aimed to stop by 3pm in the arvo to relax, let the kids have a good run & leave early in the mornings.

We always take note of places where we would like to spend more time next time, and use those sort of trips as a pilot trip so to speak.

If you're planning of spending longer in each spot, well obviously you can't get as far. And like others have said be prepared to change your plans on the run, you may not want to spend as long in one place and instead you may spend an extra day or two in another.

Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 312162

Sponsored Links