Electrical help pleeeeaaase

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 16:52
ThreadID: 59705 Views:2132 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm trying too install a GME to my '04 Triton. Sounds simple enough???
As i'm putting the unit in the spare pocket in the dash, i thought i would access power from the cig. lighter which is directly above. I know the lighter works, used it to run the lead light.
Behind the lighter there is a plug which i disconnected to check which lead was positive, ( assuming the green 1 is, not the black ) however i cant get a reading on the multimeter at all. plug it back in and the lead light comes back on....decided to pierce the wire with multimeter and the other to the chassis, still nothing.
I just don't get it...

please help

thanks

Donks1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:01

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:01
I assume that you turned the ignition switch to acc to check ?
AnswerID: 314978

Reply By: GerryP - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:04

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:04
Hi Donks,
Are you sure you have a good earth? Sometimes bits of the dash are rubber mounted and isolated from the main chassis. Silly question maybe, but have you checked your meter across the battery to make sure it works? If you can figure out which wire goes to the centre pin on the ciggy socket, that is always the active (+12v). If the light comes on, then it's definitely getting a feed.
Good luck
Gerry
AnswerID: 314979

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:26

Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:26
In our Navara, ( just sold it ) the UHF, a Uniden 013 remote head, Sits on top of the glovebox, held in by valcro ( gotta love that stuff ), and the control head sits in a pod on the dash, below the CD/radio.

Have had a lot of trouble with getting distance, due to bad earth's.

I earthed the chassis of the UHF to the battery, I earthed the base of the aerial to the battery. and earthed the bull bar to the chassis.

Worked for a while then the crackling started, again...

Found that if I scrathed around the bullbar hole, for the aerial, I would be right for a while ( say, 6 weeks ) then I would have to re-scratch the hole..

Never been able to figure that bit out..

Mate came around, I helped him install his GME, basically did the same, to his overhead console and he has never had a problem, ever..
Perplexing isn't it..

Drove me nuts..

Have I missed anything ??....or just your question ?

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 581172

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:05

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:05
I cannot say why you are not getting a reading.

However I strongly suggest you do not connect the radio to the cig socket but take two wires directly to the battery terminals. This will provide improved performance of the radio and allow you to operate it when the ignition is switched off.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 314980

Follow Up By: donks1 - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:26
g'day Mike

yes i did check the multimeter on the battery and it works fine

I know what you are saying about running direct to the battery, however i had two concerns with that.. 1 is the chance of leaving it on overnight or weekend and finding a flat battery on monday morning, i would not be happy. Thats why i was looking for a power supply in the accessories circuit
2nd is that there is nowhere to feed the wiring through the firewall. as it is i've had to feed the coax for the aerial through the floor where the engine wiring loom goes, just in front of the passenger seat.

Thanks

Donks1
FollowupID: 581054

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:51

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:51
HI , you dont need to worry about it running your battery down over night or over a weekend ---

i have left mine on for well over a week -- and my car starts NO problem at all - i do have a truck battery in the Nissan but still there was no effect of battery drain after a week

just remember when you connect direct to battery ( recommended ) that you should add an inline fuse - if your still concerned - then see if a dual battery setup would be ok for you and put ALL accessories on that battery

just a side note - i have had a wacco 80 l fridge run in my car for 2 days without it totally draining my battery to the point i could not start the car - and that uses a LOT more power than a GME

Boc
FollowupID: 581059

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 22:34

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 22:34
hmmm I would like to see this, as it doesn't make sense. DIO surprisingly mentions earth switching but there would still be a positive at the back of the cig lighter, did u check the other cable to see if it was alive?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 581148

Follow Up By: donks1 - Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:31

Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:31
Hi Bonz

Yeh i checked the other wire aswell. Got me stumped

This morning i've decided to bite the bullett and go through the firewall direct to the battery. that can't go wrong, just a bit more difficult

Thanks all

Donks1
FollowupID: 581192

Reply By: gasgas - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 20:05

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 20:05
Donks1, the centre pin of the cig lighter is +12v and the outer is
-12v
U should read 12v if u place your meter across the two wires leading to the back of the lighter.

AnswerID: 315012

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 21:52

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 21:52
Many modern vehicles have earth switching for appliances etc. Perhaps worth a check.
AnswerID: 315032

Reply By: autosparky - Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:01

Sunday, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:01
just make sure the lead fuse on the back of the lighter is still connected or ther wont be a connection to the centre pin
AnswerID: 315090

Sponsored Links