Garmin gpsmap76

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 at 19:42
ThreadID: 60112 Views:2471 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ive just bought a Garmin gpsmap76 and Im totally new to GPS's. thinking that this unit actually does maps thought it should be good for 4wd'ing and fishing, I can put shonkymaps and blue charts on it.
But upon recieving it and trying to put shonky's on found that it only has 8mb of internal memory and no sd card slot.

Have I been ripped off or is there some way of doing this other than loading little bits of maps eveytime I want to go somewhere.

AS I say I'm a GPS virgin

swampy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 at 20:17

Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 at 20:17
Hello - yes you are stuck with 8mb - so you will have to be very selective about which maps you load if you are doing any sort of a trip. You can get a reasonbale area of Shonkymaps on if you use the "Shonky without Topo" map set. Bluecharts are less memory hungry.

Diffcult to determne whether you have been ripped off or just jumped in without looking. Depends what the salesperson told you and what you asked. If you paid an extra say $90 you could have got 24mb of memory (GPSmap 76S) or for another $210 the GPSmap 76Cx which as micro sd slot.

No idea where you purchased from buy maybe asking to upgrade may get positive response??

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 316998

Reply By: richor - Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 at 21:47

Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 at 21:47
I have had a gpsmap76 for about 4 years and it has been a great gps. I also bought the Australian Metroguide which has covers all of Australia and includes streets of some very tiny towns. While you can't load all the maps at once, I have always had enough maps for all my trips. The trackback facility is extremely useful. I will be using the gps when I head to Innamincka on Saturday. It has all my previous camping spots, fishing spots etc.

It isn't a navigator although you can plan routes manually and once you have been to a place e.g. to the footy in Melbourne, you can use Trackback to get back out of there relatively painlessly and to go back a few weeks later and have no trouble finding your way.

The only drawback is that it is black and white and without my glasses on I can't read the lettering. The colour version was much easier to see and had more memory.

Don't give up on it too soon. It is a very useful tool for travelling.

Regards,
Bob
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars. Clancy of the Overflow.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 317030

Reply By: swampy460 - Friday, Jul 25, 2008 at 20:58

Friday, Jul 25, 2008 at 20:58
Thanks fellas
I guess I was expecting a little more out of it but when I sit down and think about it, it will proberbly do what I want it to.

Impulse buying BEWARE !!!

Says me to me

Swampy
AnswerID: 317237

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 25, 2008 at 22:37

Friday, Jul 25, 2008 at 22:37
I had a GPS76 and loved it as my first GPS and now have a GPSMap60Cs, if you cant swap it over for a GPS with more memory at the place you bought it then stick with it and select the maps u want to use carefully.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 583560

Sponsored Links