Project TONI update

Submitted: Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 19:53
ThreadID: 60623 Views:2695 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
As of 8/8/2008 Re thread 59870
Everything underneath is now done and dusted, new tail shafts, exhaust, hand brake, moving all fuel & brake lines away from the new 3” exhaust etc. is nearly all done (the manifold is on the opposite side on the Tojo motor). Up top the wiring is nearly finished just got to fit modules to talk to the Tacho and Speedo etc.

The engine fired up today for the first time, that’s a relief , it proves the computer is talking to every thing it should talk to including the gearbox etc. The plumbing of air to the motor from the air intake is now the next thing to do as well as locating the intercooler.

The auto selector quadrant and HI - LO lever are in place but still need to be mounted finally, as well as modifying the consol to take it all, also the switch for the part time 4wd needs to be mounted somewhere that wont allow it to be “bumped” by accident, we will place it on the left side of the dash just below the antenna “half mast” switch.

The big jobs seem to be behind us now, it’s all fiddly bits and pieces that will consume our time from here. Jason will also do some work on the front end to fix a couple of things there, and we will also put a manifold temp gauge and turbo timer on it. I have given up guessing when it will be road worthy as the engineer is yet to tick off on it and then issue the blue slip. It will be silly little issues that pop up and consume time, and that’s what put’s us back a few days each time.

But at least we KNOW it works now, it fired up first go, Woo Hoo!!!!!

It will be ready soon I hope, it’s three months come August 17th and I am stir crazy. I just want to get in it and go. Thanks for all your support and patience through this period.

Colin

PS: Overlander Magazine contacted me this week and asked if they could do a story on it, that will be interesting, they saw it while visiting Jason on another matter this week, they took pictures and an instant interest in it, they are keen to interview me when it’s ready.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G (NSW) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 19:56

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 19:56
ON PATROL

dont forget to post some pics b4 you get her dirty :-)
AnswerID: 319833

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 19:57

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 19:57
Mark, just listen to yourself mate!!!!!!

I just wanna get out there, i'm not too sure if I will have time for Pix. LOL
Colin.
FollowupID: 586437

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:01

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:01
Mark,
Pizza's get there first cos anchovy goes off much quicker than pork and beef etc.
Colin.
FollowupID: 586438

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G (NSW) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:04

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:04
LOL!!!!

fairy nuff !!!!!
FollowupID: 586440

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:23

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:23
Well Colin, best I come out with u on that first trip....... We can kill 2 birds with one stone....... you can try Toni out and I can learn how to use the new camera..... :)
FollowupID: 586443

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:27

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:27
Peter, your on.

Once I have sorted it out I intend to put on a NSW gathering, I know Gramps, Stefan, Boldjack & Stephen M want to come along if they can so I will post a date as soon as I know what I am doing.
Is this another camera or an update of the old one?
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 586445

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:27

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:27
I suppose all he wants for Christmas is Mr Yota to work.............To bad it is encased by a clapped out Missan body LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 586446

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:34

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:34
Colin, It is a brand new model, only released 2 weeks ago.... Still fits all my old lenses. I managed to get it 2 days before Nikon's release date. I think they may have released it for people to use throughout the Olympics. Here are my first pics with it www.extremefilm.com.au/gallery/d700test
FollowupID: 586450

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:41

Friday, Aug 08, 2008 at 20:41
Peter I love the Luna Pk shot with the smooth water in the foreground, good stuff mate!!!!!
FollowupID: 586451

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2008 at 03:32

Saturday, Aug 09, 2008 at 03:32
Keep attacking Colin

Great reading, I do not think that I would have the patience to do what you are doing, and probably not the knowhow...
Although in saying that, I am having fun, toying up the new truck

Your updates make gr8 reading !

keep up the good work

Cheers Mate
Bucky

AnswerID: 319879

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2008 at 16:54

Saturday, Aug 09, 2008 at 16:54
Bucky,
Enjoy your new toy, but don't put any roof bars or rack on it, otherwise it won't fit in the garage looking at your pix. Enjoy!!!!
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 586587

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2008 at 08:31

Sunday, Aug 10, 2008 at 08:31
Colin
You are dead right there. But alas, all's well.
Had to get neighbour, from over the road to guide me in, the first time

Once in I was worried about vehicle lift, when reversing, as sometimes they do, so the neighbour did his bit again.. But as long as I make sure that the panel lift door goes to its limit, and not hurry things, it will be OK.

I would hate to have to explain one mangled door, and roof scratches to our Insurance Company.
Suppose I should measure the lift, front and rear, I would suspect 3" but I could be wrong. ( From the bottom of the rim to the underside of the guard flare, I believe..)

Cheers mate

Bucky

ps....Economy still 14 - 14.5 lt/100 km, driven quietly, so it's off to the Dyno, ASAP ( next 2 weeks ), as I can smell un-burnt
diesel, when out the back of it ..and I suspect the turbo is not whistling up early enuf, as at 110 + in top she flies. Would not mind dropping that power back to about 85 - 90 km/hr, where it's most useable.
AnswerID: 320072

Sponsored Links