Gps with a laptop what are the basics?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 18:34
ThreadID: 61108 Views:2846 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Well , now I have the Garmin 760 and yet to receive shonky maps and T4A.
Told a camping (computer illiterate) mate at work about it all,

He says :- You`ll have to put those maps on my gps.
Me - Sorry mate I don`t think it will work on your gps,
It`s a MEDION and it is not on compatible.

He - I believe you can and will put it on my gps.

Me - Sorry mate it won`t and will not happen.

He - Do I have to buy a garmin for these maps ?

Me - Seems to be the only way matey.

Then I mention the option to buy a Gps receiver, A laptop, and Mapping software, Bolt it to your dash board and away you go.
Receiver $150 ?
laptop $350 ?
software shonkymaps or T4A ?

Question is :- What are the basics to get started ?

IS it as simple as to - Buy a GPS Receiver, and a cheap laptop, Load mapping software and your maps,plug in gps receiver via USB ? Open up mapping software with required maps, and you see where you are travelling on the laptop ?

I know you won`t get turn by turn directions ect.
Basically just a bigger picture.

He`s just got to go one better and I`m trying to help him out.

Rgards

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 18:47

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 18:47
Yep,

it's about that easy. Laptop as long as it's got the grunt, load up the softwear and plug in a USB GPS mouse ($30 to $90). The software like Trackranger is excellent and is basically plug and play. Ozi is a little more complicated but has a lot more functionality. Both are great. (I have both so I can comment without starting a blue!)

You've forgotten the costs of the map cd's like NatMap Raster and UBD street maps but once loaded, you're away. Lappy can sit on the seat or bolt anywhere or feed to the 7" touch screen of your stereo.

Cheers. Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 322324

Follow Up By: Mrbrush - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 19:05

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 19:05
Thanks Mick,
Your information has got the ?`s out of my head.
I thought thats how it all worked.

Seems too easy and a reasonably cheap to setup.

Might have to try it myself.

cheers
FollowupID: 589320

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 20:10

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 20:10
Dont forget to add the $330 for the PODIII mount you have there
An Asus EEEPC would be a good thing to have especially the new one that has bluetooth etc but is about $640
FollowupID: 589345

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 21:26

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 21:26
It was actually cheaper than that Graham as all I got was the Laptop tray and the ball mount. Even cheaper when you get it shipped from US but then again, GPSoz can do a deal. Wouldn't touch the Pod III legs. No where near robust enough for Australian conditions. The rest of the mount was $150 from Brown Davis in Bayswater. Uses existing seat mounts. They've done a fantastic job. Extremely robust. But as I said, I've seen a few EO members with home made mounts that cost time and a few scraps of MDF. Depends on what you want and you, or your best mates skill levels.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 589374

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 21:41

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 21:41
Well if you know anyone that wants the top tray I dont use mine any more and a reasonable offer will buy it RRP was $115

My pod legs work ok
Have two on the l/h front seat mounts and third goes up trans tunnel to a bolt under dash.
Have used the laptop screen brace on the r/h side of my screen and its quite sturdy. Not intending to go offroad so it will be OK
FollowupID: 589380

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 22:24

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 22:24
Instead of a GPS receiver, I use an old Garmin GPS 2+, so that if the computer stuffs up, I still have something to go by. I can also take the Garmin out and use it when hiking.

I have an old Tosh SatellitePro 4200 - Pentium400, 64Mb RAM, 4 Gig HDD and will run directly off the 12Volts. It runs W98SE and the latest Oziexplorer, and the HDD holds the Raster Mosaic/Hema/Westprint maps. Laptop is stored folded in a pocket, and worked off a cordless mouse. I prefer the old computers because all the leads come out of the back - much tidier.

The laptop has a yellow RCA socket (video out), so it connects directly to a 7inch pop out screen that cost $200 from Jaycar. I've mounted a few laptops before and this setup suits me best - the laptop is out of the way, the cab is uncluttered and the maps are in front of you while you're driving. Heres some photos:

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 322379

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 07:46

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 07:46
A nice neat setup there Phil.

Andrew
FollowupID: 589440

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 08:28

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 08:28
'Morning Phil,
I still have all the info you emailed me a while back- and still intend to go down your track..
One question tho- is there any probs. with the lappy and it's internals (eg Hard Drive) bouncing around on (say) across the Simpson or very rough & corrugated roads...is there a chance of damage ??
Cheers
David

FollowupID: 589452

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Aug 29, 2008 at 00:04

Friday, Aug 29, 2008 at 00:04
Thanks Andrew - It didn't cost a lot to setup and does everything well. Probably the main downside is that UBD City Steets map needs XP to run, but I rarely use the LandCruiser in other cities.

David, People say that, and I've been waiting ages for it to happen, but there are things you can do to reduce the risk. When I mounted the Tosh in the Prado, it simply sat on a carpeted board using velcro - the carpet and velcro cushioned it. It was better than any fixed mount I'd seen.

In the photo above, the pocket is padded with foam and the pocket is lined with carpet, so its pretty cushy in there.

If the hard drive were to fail, I just go back to using the GPS by itself, and buy/borrow/steal another old Tosh.

I think Vivid Adventures Andrew also runs an old Tosh and its done a hard drive before.
FollowupID: 589811

Reply By: clv105 - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 22:54

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 at 22:54
You can pick up a Garmin 760 for under $500, a much more cost effective solution IMHO.
AnswerID: 322386

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 00:39

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 00:39
I'll second that.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 589426

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:39

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:39
Yes but can it download your digital photo's and video as you take them, record your travel journal, track your expenses and send emails to the kids? Not to mention provide music and video?

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 589430

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 07:59

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 07:59
Mick
Yes it will record my travel, Yes it will provide music and so does the car radio, I don't need video, NO KIDS, and as for photo's , my little Nikon has a 2gb SD card, if each photo was 1000kb (1mb) then my camera can store 2000 photo's, if I put a 4gb card in it .... 4000 photo's , at the setting that I use being size 16.9 wide screen each photo is around the 1,167+/- so I would get around 1800 + per 2 gb card, if I set the camera to take smaller photo's at 2024px, that would still be bigger than the PC monitor , on a 2gb card would store around 1884 photo's, who would take that many photo's , and if you knew you were , carry a spare card or insert a larger capacity card .It all comes down to what your choice is, not everyone has the same likes / dislikes,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 589442

Sponsored Links