Spot Messenger – Australian mailing list details

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008 at 18:28
ThreadID: 61960 Views:3456 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Spot Messenger – Australian mailing list details

I’ve recently started a new mailing list for Australian owners/prospective owners ofthe Spot Messenger. The text below is the opening post to the list and gives an idea of its intent. E-mail traffic from the list is expected to be low.

To subscribe to the list send a blank e-mail to:
OzSpot-subscribe@topica.com

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to:
OzSpot-unsubscribe@topica.com

To post to the list send a (non blank :) e-mail to:
OzSpot@topica.com

You can do all of this via the web too (although you’ll need to join Topica) if you wish at:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/OzSpot

Subscription requests to the list need to be approved (a spam trap) but posts do not.

I’ll re-post this information here from time to time.

Mike Harding

PS. Feel free to post this to other forum.

mike_harding@fastmail.fm

---------

The Spot Messenger is a new concept in remote area safety utilising both the GPS and satellite telephone networks via a low cost handheld device.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

For the land traveller it offers most of the features of an EPIRB with the valuable added functionality of being able to send “OK” and “Help” messages in addition to an emergency message.

The main idea behind this mailing list is to provide a forum for Australian owners of a Spot Messenger to chat about the pros and cons of the device and swap tips regarding its usage and/or usage of the Spot website.

A secondary idea (and this is why I started a mailing list as opposed to a forum) is to provide an additional place for Spot owners to send a “Help” request. Hopefully, in time, the user base of the list will grow to provide a network of people across Australia who may be available to help others in the event that a “Help” message comes through which originates from a location close to you. There is no obligation on anyone to respond to a “Help” message but I suspect most of us can relate to being in trouble in the bush and would help if we could.

Neither this list or I have any commercial connection with Spot et al – I’m simply a new owner of the device.

Mike Harding

---------
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008 at 19:07

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008 at 19:07
Good on you Mike, sounds like a good concept but I would have thought well prepared travellers would have access to existing well resourced emergency methods.
Good luck with your venture & let us hope that it helps prevent an outback or where ever disaster. Cheers
AnswerID: 326773

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20
Great idea Mike, and the response to a Help call, Imagine if u were just around the proverbial corner and didn't know a person was in trouble? I for one would want to know and help out.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 326896

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:20

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:20
Thanks Mike. I looked at the Spot system before we left on our trip in June and the US office told me they were still working out arrangments with Pivotel. Did you get yours from the US?

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 326904

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 18:25

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2008 at 18:25
Hi Peter

I bought my Spot from the USA about 3 months ago, I think. I paid around A$180 delivered to Oz.

Don't know anything about Pivotel? But all the functions of my Spot are working as advertised; e-mails, SMS' and, I assume, the emergency call - for obvious reasons I haven't test that. I' more than happy with the device.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 594134

Sponsored Links