Changing GU Oil Filter tricks ?

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 06:48
ThreadID: 62888 Views:2268 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Last time I changed the twin oil filters, on the Patrol, I ended up with oil all over the place, the front diff, and the starter motor both copped a hiding, not to mention the floor of my shed.
Due to the fact that there is no way I have found to drain the filters themselves, before I unscrew them.

I thought of running some aluminium foil between the starter motor, and the filters, and doing the home made type flat flexible funnel type thing, into a bucket.

Most annoying, and messy .

So what is the trick ?

Cheers in advance

Bucky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:21

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:21
My trick Bucky is to get someone else to do it
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 331916

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:26

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:26
Then again there is the "What If" factor.

I have always changed my oils, just that I haven't figured this bit out yet.

Cheers Mate
Bucky
FollowupID: 599759

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:28

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:28
I always used to too, with the Patrol I just get it regularly serviced and be done with it, which "What if" do you mean?...
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 599761

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:47

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:47
Has anybody tried puncturing the filter can so that oil drains in a controlled and directed manner where you want it to go rather then any and everywhere ? The cans are rather thin so it may be practicable to push a small funnel with drain tube attached under the filter and then use small sharp screw driver to rip into side of can. Haven't tried it myself yet.
AnswerID: 331919

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:48

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:48
KIWI-KIA

yep, thats how ya do it.same on big truck engines...........punture a hole in it with a screw driver. lighter to pull out with no oil in them too,cheers.
FollowupID: 599773

Reply By: Kiwi & "Grenade" - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:07

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:07
cannto helpo el bucko

le kiwi-o!!
AnswerID: 331924

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:17

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:17
I just loosen the filters off enough to let them drain into a catch basin, a large old baking dish from St Vinnies.
I accept that here will be oil on various parts of the vehicle and treat that as rustproofing LOL. These parts stop dripping after awhile and i wipe them with a rag.

The trick is to fully unscrew the filters and turn them upright with the hole to the top to avoid spilling the last of the oil in there.
OH YEH and do NOT drop the bloody thing into the engine bay while trying to manipulate it out through the available space between the air cleaner and manifold and various bits of tubing, wiring etc.

Piece of cake really LOL
AnswerID: 331927

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:40

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:40
Ditto.....when I had my 4.2 (x 2), I used to do exactly that. I'd cover the whole floor area under the engine with old towels/bedspreads/sheets (or whatever I could find in the rag box).
After the oil change was completed, I'd get an old shirt/jumper ect out of my rag box....cut a sleeve off....shove my right hand in the sleeve, but not all the way through it...... and so then I had a long "mit" which I'd use to try to mop-up as much of the oil from on top of the starter motor, block, top of diff, steering linkages etc etc. Bit of a pain, but no big deal really.
You'll be right Bucky......hahahaha

FollowupID: 599848

Reply By: glids - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:27

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:27
Hi Bucky,

I don't know the orientation or location of the oil filter on the Patrol, but I had a similar problem with changing the filter on my Terracan.

I cut the top off a 2L plastic milk bottle - cut it about 2cm longer than the filter. Loosen the filter to hand-tight, slip the container under the filter, and undo the filter while it is inside the container. I still place a rag over the other mechanicals to catch the drips that fall after the filter is removed, but a whole lot cleaner!

The above won't work if your filter is on its side (or upside-down). It beats me why manufacturers make their engines with filters in those configurations - I guess they don't do the oil changes.

Hope this helps.
cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 331944

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 16:17

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 16:17
"...It beats me why manufacturers make their engines with filters in those configurations - I guess they don't do the oil changes..."

Yep that is one reason....and as far as engineers are concerned if it works on paper then the job is satisfactory, to hell with practicality.

We come across this at work all the time. Let an engineer design a piece of equipment with no input from operators and you can guarantee an increase in workload to get around the impracticalities or running it.
FollowupID: 599832

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 13:12

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 13:12
buy a can of degreaser when ya buy the filters ,
when ya finished spray it down and wash it off with the hose .
easier than worrying about it .
mechpete
AnswerID: 331957

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 13:13

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 13:13
buy a can of degreaser when ya buy the filters ,
when ya finished spray it down and wash it off with the hose .
easier than worrying about it .
mechpete
AnswerID: 331958

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:22

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:22
righto ill qualify this by saying ive never tried it but i guy on some forum recomended draining the oil then starting it and letting it run for 30 seconds or so which drained the filter
AnswerID: 331965

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 16:09

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 16:09
NO WAY!!!!!!!!
Uh UH!!!!!!!!
NO HOW!!!!!!!

Not with any motor i own anyway.

Isn't it funny how every lube oil company these days uses additives that try to get oil to the top of the motor as soon as you start it, to prevent damage to the upper moving parts.....how does this scenario conform to that.....

FollowupID: 599831

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:46

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:46
DITTO from me too....NO BLOODY WAY!!!!!!

If I saw anybody do this to a motor of mine, they'd be eating their meals through a straw for a loooonnnnnggg time!!!! hahaha

It's right up there with cretins who start a dead cold motor and then proceed to IMMEDIATELY rev the livin' be-jeezus outa the poor bloody thing.....makes my blood boil when I see someone do that; even to their own car!!!!
FollowupID: 599849

Follow Up By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:09

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:09
"It's right up there with cretins who start a dead cold motor and then proceed to IMMEDIATELY rev the livin' be-jeezus outa the poor bloody thing.....makes my blood boil when I see someone do that"

I really suggest you NEVER buy an ex-postie bike then!! Cause thats how we warm'em up!!!!

FollowupID: 599879

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:15

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:15
Been doing it that way for years, hasnt caused any issues. Ange who told me of its merit had 600,000 on his GQ doing it that way

Your not running a dry engine for hours, your going for a drive, coating everything with oil within the engine, coming home, draining the sump, then start it for 3-6 seconds - NOT minutes.

Those nice oil additives will still be coating the top, and there will still be plenty of oil everywhere, it wont disappear instantly cause your draining your oil out the sump... Even though that would be VERY nice.

anyway this arguement has been done before, here and elsewhere.

Failing that, just treat it as killrust, oiling up everything.
FollowupID: 599880

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 00:13

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 00:13
Killrust is the option for this little black duck.
The way my luck runs i wouldn't dare, i mean I bought my first ever stock market shares on the 1st of this month and a week later we're heading for recession.....
FollowupID: 599890

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:27

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 18:27
what we used to do at work is put a cpl of rags over the front of the diff and front uni leave it drain for a while then remove the rags came up pretty good
cheers
AnswerID: 331989

Reply By: Angler - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 21:58

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 21:58
I don't have a TD42 however t looks like it's time someone invented a replacement system like they did for the 80 series cruiser that uses a standard holden filter mounted external to the engine. At least that's what it sounds like it is. I have never seen one but have read about them.
My 3 litre also is a pain as the thing is mounted on the side and is not a can type filter. It uses a replacement inner filter that also dribbles everywhere. I usually just release it a little when I drain the sump and it seems to also drain the filter a bit at the same time.

I must admit my previous vehicle, a V8 TDI disco had a filter mounted right at the front and was dead easy to change.
Wifes Mazda 3 is harder as you have to remove the a large plastic thing from under the car that has two different size bolts first to even see the filter. Seems the manufacturers go out of their way to make maintenance difficult for some unknown reason.

It can't be that difficult to organise an external filter like the air cleaner.

Angler
AnswerID: 332023

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 03:55

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 03:55
To All
Interesting replies.

MMmmmmmMMmmmmm ! got me thinking a bit here , and that is dangerous !
Not too sure if I want to run the motor without any oil, then again, what happens for the first 5 seconds anyway..
There has to be a way !

Next time, I will try and not let about 1 lt. of oil drop all over the place.

Thinking, thinking, thinking

Cheers all

Bucky
AnswerID: 332040

Sponsored Links