Exhibitors being ripped off !

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 04:11
ThreadID: 62920 Views:3602 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Here is one to think about.

Went to the 4X4 Show, in Jeff's Shed (Melbourne) yesterday, and someone in our group was chatting to an Exhibitor.

Price for the Exhibition ,,,Cheapest was $7,000, and some of the bigger sites were paying up to $40,000..

Add to that, various "on costs", ie..wages, accommodation, ect.., and the whole exercise becomes incredibly expensive.
In the end, that is passed onto the consumer.

Where has the common sense gone .??

Cheers
Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 05:57

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 05:57
Hi Bucky,

We are currently in QLD and we went to the "Free" caravan and camping pre christmas show at the RNA (Brisbane) yesterday and although there were plenty of vans, camper trailers ect there was no where near the amount of exhibitors, entertainment, food stalls ect as there was at the June caravan and camping show which cost us $12.00 each to enter. We were still able to see and do everything we needed and the food was still over priced and not fit for human consumption!!!!

Regards
Matt & Caz
AnswerID: 332041

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:15

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:15
Matt & Caz
Food was edible at Jeff's shed, but the cost was high.
From all reports, the crowd and exhibitor stands were down, and according to one member, on the forum, was shut early, I think he stated 7:00pm.

That seems a bit early, but then you have to look at the flier, in the magazines, and base your visit on that time.

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 599897

Reply By: madcow - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:33

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:33
Have to agree with you and I doubt if I'll go next year. the number of exhibitors were right down and we had no trouble getting around yesterday arvo. The previous year you could not move. We make our own lunch out of the car underneath to both save a few bucks but at least we know what your eating. I was impressed wit the Nissan stand as to how the Patrol sat on the pylons.
AnswerID: 332049

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:33

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:33
I have given up on the 4x4 show at Jeff's shed. For me it is not worth the effort to go to anymore. Partly because I am not interested in fishing and boating, only 4x4ing and camping.

I find the LROC show at Wandin much more interesting to go to.

AnswerID: 332050

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:33

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:33
Most of those shows or exhibitions what ever you like to call them are a rip off. Here in W.A. we have the Perth Royal Show. Entance fee costs an arm and a leg. You HAVE TO PAY to get in to spend your money. Where is the logic in that? Where have the 3d. and 6d. rides gone? Try $5.00 & $10.00 and the show bags, don't even mention them. It is supposed to be an agricultural show. There are some animals shown but most young people hang around side show alley. "Royal Show" my royal rear end.
AnswerID: 332058

Follow Up By: Ruffstuff. - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 14:24

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 14:24
The exhibitors at the Royal Show also pay a premium to be there,

The organisers are supposed to provide patrolling security as part of the deal , however a mate of mine had his marquee slashed open during the night as was the exhibitors next door with a few items going missing.
This was well inside a secure perimeter fence.
Little was done by the orgnaisers to look into it.

So not only have they spent a fair bit of money to be there, they have a wrecked display marquee and items stolen for the Privilege.

It's absoluteley farcical.

FollowupID: 599970

Reply By: Robnicko - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:45

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:45
Bucky,
I stopped going to those shows about 10 years ago.....they are just a rip-off (entry / parking / food-if it can be called that and so on). Most places like ARB / TJM / Anaconda & Rays have excellent 'showrooms' that dont cost anything to get into. I would rather spend at the local shop and avoid the City!

My 2 cents

Rob
AnswerID: 332063

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:17

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:17
I wonder whether the downturn in attendances has anything to do with the current financial meltdown?

People being more careful with their spending ?

Cutting back until things improve?

Worried that their job might disappear?

On the matter of the exhibition:
I cant agree with the comment that you shouldn't have to pay to go to one of these exhibitions. I know it can get rather expensive for a family to go to these shows however, I think we need to be mindful that for a $20 entry for example, where else can you go to see so many different products all in the one place. I feel more for the exhibitor who is paying those high prices to exhibit and trying to get some of it back in sales. Yes, the cost is probably built into what we the consumer has to pay for the product in the long run.

I went to all the exhibitions when l was looking for a camper and gained much from being able to compare the different campers in the one location. I think I drove the exhibitors nuts going back and forth.......lol

I know costs have increased over the years but then again........what hasn't.
AnswerID: 332069

Reply By: joff1 - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 15:23

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 15:23
Welcome to the world of exhibiting! While not specifically Caravan and Camping shows, my company exhibits australia wide at around 50 trade shows, exhibitions and field days. We often wonder about the cost v return but some you just have to be at to be in the market.

My personal opinion is that mostly they rip it into the exhibitors badly. BTW, the food at these places is expesive because they too have to pay the rippoff price for their stand.
AnswerID: 332146

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 17:46

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 17:46
What really gets up my nose is places like the royal show where you PAY to get in then you PAY for everything else once you get in !!!
try as I might I fail to see the logic in that, if you pay at the gate that should be the end of it !!! ???.............
AnswerID: 332168

Reply By: Member - Paul W (VIC) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:03

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:03
Bucky,

I know the owners of one of the bigger stalls, i will ask them what it cost them and see how it compares to what you heard. cheers Paul
AnswerID: 332197

Reply By: png62 - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:16

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:16
Well it was my first ever visit to a 4x4 show on Saturday, don't get many opportunities in Hobart. I too, will disagree with the general consensus. I have been avidly comparing campers for years, trying to decide which features I preferred and therefore which manufacturer would win my business. Saturday was very enlightening and I settled on a camper after direct comparisons - I couldn't decide otherwise. I am satisfied with the whole situation but I do feel if those exhibitors costs are accurate, "STRUTH" - we are damned lucky any of them want to participate. You would have to sell a lot of gear to pay a fee like that.

Cheers and travel safe.
AnswerID: 332202

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 21:17

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 21:17
May I suggest that if the exhibitors thought it was a "Rip Off" then its an easy fix.......

Don't exhibit!!

I know several persons/businesses who exhibited and I spoke in detail with them on Sunday and they agreed that it was harder to cover the costs than previous years, but none the less felt they had a good show and it was worth their while being there.
These people are regular exhibitors at this show and have attended for many years.

Those who didn't think they could gain a return on the show costs did not attend this year.
Its a pretty simple business decisions by the respective business.

I think that the term "Rip Off" is rather emotive and certainly subjective and clearly does not reflect the way the show is viewed by all.

P.S.
Some of them don't attend the Wandin show as they don't feel they get the return from that show that they achieve from the Melb show.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 332228

Sponsored Links