TJM vs ARB steel bar for 80 seris, which is better?

Submitted: Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 17:38
ThreadID: 63320 Views:4565 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Does any one know the differences of these 2 bars? I kind of dont like the TJM one so much but can get one cheap, but it seems the main steel is pretty thin compared to the ARB ones i have seen, but am going from memory. So is the ARB stronger? what other pros / cons?
Kind regards
GN
ps also wanting to put side rails / step on later too, so does this sway a better decision for ARB or TJM as well ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:31

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:31
Go the tjm i had one on my patrol for 12 years, took more than a few hits out bush (and on road). Strong as an ox, and still looked good when I sold it recently. ARB do have glossier brochures and better salesmen though.
AnswerID: 334110

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:40

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:40
Thanks Warren G
FollowupID: 601897

Reply By: young_codger - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:41

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:41
I've got an ARB bullbar on my Hilux and have had it for 7 years. It's still almost in new condition and have hit several Kangaroos without damage.
One of the roos I hit was a big red kangaroo, while driving into Coral Bay at night. The impact speed was about 70km/hr (no time to brake) and had no damage to the car. The bullbar was pushed in about half an inch on one side, but isn't noticeable and the rest is good - spotties survived. My mate pulled the roo off the road and he estimated the weight to be about 70kg (was a 6 footer). He reckoned that any car that hit that roo would have been a right off.
ARB bullbars are higher quality than the backyard ones and have built in crumble buffer on the frame. Without some type of crumble buffer, any shock will be transfered directly into the chasis damaging it, so you really do need it.
I can't say too much about TJM bullbars, but after having an ARB, I wouldn't buy anything else. There are bullbars and there are bullbars.
AnswerID: 334111

Follow Up By: young_codger - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:43

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 18:43
P.S. Don't waste your money on scrub bars or steps - no point
FollowupID: 601875

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:43

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:43
Hi young-codger
why do you think the side bars / step are a waste of time?

i think they are great for a bit of guard protection if getting out of treed black country where its easy to slide sidways into old ruts and bump a tree. plus side steps stop bleep loads of mud and rocks comming up the sides and are handy to stand on to access stuff on the roof rack as well as easier as a step in.

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 601899

Follow Up By: young_codger - Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 10:03

Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 10:03
While they seem good in theory, they offer no real practical use. If a track's that narrow you wouldn't be going through it anyway, as you'd just scratch up your 4wd past the front guards and if you want to access the roof you can always open the door and step on the floor to get higher.
I'd say if I were get one or the other I'd get side steps first and this would only be if I had a lift kitted 4wd or perhaps small people using the car.
FollowupID: 601948

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:17

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:17
I think that you will find that the standard TJM bar is winch compatible, whereas you have to pay extra for that with the ARB bar.
AnswerID: 334117

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:44

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:44
Good point Shaker, had foggotten about that part.
thanks
GN
FollowupID: 601900

Reply By: gazza60 - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:22

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:22
gday
im not 100% sure but i believe the main difference apart from styling is that as far as the winch bars go, the TJM bar needs/requires a seperate cradle for mounting the winch where as the ARB bar is manufactured so the winch bolts straight on to the bar.
all the best
AnswerID: 334118

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:58

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 19:58
the TJM bar needs/requires a seperate cradle for mounting the winch where as the ARB bar is manufactured so the winch bolts straight on to the bar.

Hiya Gazza

I was about to say the same thing to Shakers thread and then read yours...That put me off a bit (seperate fixing)..

Went ARB it was fitted yesterday...

Cheers
FollowupID: 601879

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:46

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:46
Hi Gazza60
didnt know that bit, that might explain how they get away with the bar steel being thinner.
does any one know how much the cradel is vs and ARB bar that doesnt need any more to take the winch?
cheers
GN
FollowupID: 601901

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 20:15

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 20:15
GN
I have an ARB bar, it's passed the test a few times with 100kph medium sized Kangaroo hits , not been tested yet on pedestrians, usually try to avoid those dangerous creatures.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 334126

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:58

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:58
Hi G N,
I've a steel ARB on my 80. I've owned it for 4 odd years now, I believe it's been on it from day one, there's no mention of it being fitted in the vehicle's history. I've used it to push a few fence posts and things, nothing to serious. It does it's job, Ariel mount, somewhere to bolt the spotties and Hilift jack and I've never hit anything of substance. I've seen more ARB bars with all the accessories than the TJM bars.
I'm happy with it.
AnswerID: 334146

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 23:15

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 23:15
While there are some differences, I think you'll find this is a question like:
'Which is the better 4WD, Nissan or Toyota' or
Which is the better family sedan - Holden of Ford'

For 4WDs, I prefer Toyotas. For Family sedans I prefer Holdens. For bar work and accessories for my 4WD I've always preferred ARB.

Am I right. I doubt anyone really cares. And I doubt it reallly matters. Both good products. If one has features you like, go for it. Otherwise go for the one you like best. If you still can't decide, go for the cheapest of the two.

Norm C
AnswerID: 334158

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 11:00

Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 11:00
Hi Norm
You are correct, its just i have inherited a TJM for nothing but the steel does seem quite a bit thinner than ARB ones i have looked at on 60 seris so i was wondering if there was a strength issue? which there is i gues when there is extra required for a winch.
so i dont want to go and spend $ on side steps and a cradle to find i have an inferior product and have now spent the $ on the other bits.
i think i will go the ARB as i kind of dont like the TJM shape so much (sounding dumb i know, but it will be with me for a while) and sell the TJM bar.
Thank GN
FollowupID: 601958

Reply By: Pebble - Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 15:45

Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 15:45
Ok we're in the process of getting a bullbar for the Hilux.
Now here is an interesting cact for you. OL recommend ARB Bull Bars because they mount direct to the chassis and OL ones don't.

And another tip is to ask for an ARB Commercial Winch Bar - significantly cheaper than the deluxe, still has the wings but some sort of slight difference in the design. Can't say exactly because we have one on order at the moment but haven't seen a picture - I'd say it's probably missing the tow horizontal bars that go across on either side under the headlights.

Don't have much idea on the TJM brand but hope that helps a bit. I'd say go ARB and if you're on a budget ask to see what the Commercial one looks like.

My Husband reckons the ARB bars look better, I like the look of the OL ones but I can see the use of having visible corners such as the ARB has.
AnswerID: 334218

Sponsored Links