Has anyone fitted a supercharger to a 1HZ toyota?

Hi all, back in Sydney after 18 months travelling/working around oz, started out with a 99 series II v8 Discovery (killed it) & camper trailer, now have an 80 series with a 1 HZ diesel in it, much more reliable but need more low down torque, so am thinking about fitting a Sprintex supercharger too it.
Have already fitted a snorkel & pacemaker extractors to get a slight increase in oomph, but need more & don't want to fit a turbo.
Has anyone done this & what were the results, pros/cons etc.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:30

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:30
the kits used to be advertised a fair bit but havnt seen them advertised for a long time
- apparantly it was the most reliable way to destroy a 1hz
AnswerID: 335356

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:02

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:02
Bugger! Not what I wanted to hear, I've been doing some surfing & they are not cheap, but the alternatives are a turbo (same problem) or a engine transplant ie, detroit V8 diesel (much more expensive) or maybe one of the Cummings 4cyl turbo diesels?
FollowupID: 603056

Reply By: Smudger - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:11

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:11
1HZ blowing up because of turbo??!!
News to me ..mine has 300,000kms and going as strong as ever. The turbo was fitted shortly after new delivery to the original owner ..it's been mine for about year and no probs.
AnswerID: 335360

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:48

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:48
well konwn and documented issue. but keeping the boost down and proper fuel pump calabration apparantly can make it work
FollowupID: 603061

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 19:10
Careful Smudger,

I used to post identical statements to yours having an 80 series 1HZ that has had a Mike Vine Turbo fitted since brand new for 300,000km.
The motor has never been hot, never used a drop of oil, best thing ever.
A couple of months ago at 310,000km I developed the slightest miss in the engine you ever felt. When the motor warmed up it disappeared. No odd smoke and no oil consumption.
Within a week we were doing a compression test and number 6 was a bit low but all other cylinders were perfect.
Pulled the head off and every piston had huge cracks and were deformed and the entire motor was as good as stuffed. No. 6 had such a big split in the piston nobody knows how the engine was running so well.
I now have a 2nd hand 1HZ with no turbo. I miss the power but I have learned my lesson and will never fit an aftermarket turbo to an engine again.
Factory turbo's only for me from now on.

BW
FollowupID: 603126

Follow Up By: Smudger - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 14:39

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 14:39
So what you're saying is that you wouldn't recommend putting a turbo on an old 80 series in case it blows up in about 10-15 years?
Fair enough.
FollowupID: 603376

Reply By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:20

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:20
Try this site. http://www.sprintex.com.au/Supercharger_Kits.asp

Mate fitted a blower to hi 4.2 Patrol and was very happy after the inital teething problems.

Have a good one
AnswerID: 335362

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:42

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:42
Yep fitting a supercharger is a sure way to trash a 1HZ.
Mate fitted one and three times it pulled the harmonic balancer/front pulley off the crankshaft. The third time it was beyond repair and buggered the front of the engine.
Not an uncommon problem apparently, the front pulley and crankshaft keyway are not designed to take the torque loads imposed by the blower. It is normally driven off a second pulley bolted to the front of the existing pulley, problems getting belt tension correct too.
Turbo would be the way to go as long as you are conservative with the boost and watch EGT's. Many 1HZ's have done big k's with mild boost and a bit of TLC, plenty have gone boom as well when pushed past their limits.
A Chev V8, what can I say ;-)) a big lazy motor that will go forever in the Humvee, with no aerodynamics, weight around 4T loaded and gearing that is not entirely suited to the highway it still reliably gets 16l/100k on trips.
AnswerID: 335364

Reply By: 96 GXL 80 series - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:53

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:53
Why not try TRD [Toyota Racing Development] as they had one on the 4.5lt engines, they came with a complete set-up including brackets and pulleys / belts.

No doubt they would have the set-up for the Diesel as well.

If not they would point you in the right direction and give you the correct information on if worth while and if any problems.

AnswerID: 335366

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 13:02

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 13:02
I had a Sprintex fitted to my 1HZ in my 80 Series.

Main problem was that it was the biggest one available but still was not big enough (didn't pump enough volume thru) so the installers ramped up the fuel pump and overfueled the engine in a big way.

My fuel consumption was a shocker and overfueling a diesel is not a good thing.

I took it off, gave it back, and fitted a Safari turbo with intercooler. That produced a very nice result and stayed on the vehicle until it was sold.

I would not recommend a supercharger (although things might have changed since 1995).

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 335367

Reply By:- Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 23:25

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 23:25
Hey!

I got a 75 series troopie and travelling/ working Oz, pulling a jayco penguin outback at the moment. Looked into addinng a turbo b4 leaving Perth but to fit it to a motor thats done 300 000k's already I was recommended to get the whole motor rebuilt or have the possibility of it soiling itself half way round Oz . Looking at $6000 plus. My Local mechanic asked me how much fuel can you get 4 $6000 instead of spending it stuffing with the motor. I said good point and that was the last I thought about it . The troopie came with fats with a smaller diameter than standard so that gives alot more bottom end grunt so much I take off in 2nd when not towing any thing or on the beach. This results in less top end but not needed when towing anyway, can still sit on 100km/h if I want. Just an Idea to save you a few bucks if ya interested.
I was also told by the same mechanic that vehicles that come out with turbos and super charges are built with stronger parts that are more durable and are more likely to handle the extra stress.
Thats what I've heard anyway!

AnswerID: 335449

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:04

Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:04
Suggestion: What about a 1HD-FT or 1HD-FTE factory turbo? You could pick up one from a wreckers, swap it out and sell your 1HZ. Not sure how much you would be out of pocket, but worth a look as an option.
AnswerID: 335457

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 20:33

Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 20:33
I have done some research on this subject and have found LCOOL forum to be an invaluable source of information.

One of the moderaters on this forum has transplanted at 1HD-FT into a 105 series, intercooled it and it is about the best option as far as I can see. More power, more torque, stronger engine, factory turbo, NO ELECTRONICS, good fuel economy and an easy transplant. The 1HD-FTE is also easy except for the electronic wiring which requires a great deal of technical knowhow. It has been done several times and the result is fantastic, but you still have the computer, which I don't like.

Problems: getting hold of a 1HD-FT is nigh on impossible and when the do come up it is serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and far more than they are worth for an engine that has more than likely done many km. Apart from that it is a lot of cash to spend on a car worth what the 80 series would fetch on the 2nd hand market at the moment. May be better to hunt down a late 80 series GXL with the 1HD-FT fitted and spend a bit of $$ fixing it up mechanically.

Good luck in your decision. I've decided to travel slower as I simply can't justify the $$ and would rather upgrade the whole car to something with more factory power. Why Toyota didn't make a factory turbo in the 105 series has got me beat. It would have been a real winner.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 603272

Reply By: Ozrover - Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:25

Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:25
Thanks all,
All very good suggestions, will take the advice given from from various other sources that suggest that any forced induction will result in the demise of an otherwise reliable engine.

Next step will be to look at Dieselgas as an alternative, I looked into it last year but wasn't totally happy with the availability of gas in the bush, so didn't go that way.
Maybe I can have bigger LPG tanks fitted, to avoid running out on long stints.

Thanks
AnswerID: 335484

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 15:56

Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 15:56
sorry but you are unlikely to get any more reliability out of diesal gas either.
the 1HZ is a very reliable motor - but it isnt over engineered
- any attempt to get more power from it especially increasing combustion temps as diesal gas does is a lottery
FollowupID: 603228

Follow Up By: kyle46 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 18:58

Sunday, Nov 16, 2008 at 18:58
I had one fitted to my 80 series gxl. Worse thing i ever did ! would use about 16lt/100 driving round empty and about 22lt/100 towing a commodore. hate hate hated it. low down torque was good ,sounded good but that was about it. Going up any decent hill, pyro would sit 600-650 c and that was rolling out of it. Had to change a/c compressor to fit intake and replace all seals and sump gaskets and use penrite 60 hpr . I had my fitted in slacks creek qld and i wouldn`t let the bloke check the air in my tyres . they seem to work on nissans but not on tojo`s . I ended up buying a F250 . Problem solved.(mostly)
FollowupID: 603266

Sponsored Links