Cold water when travelling (TO drink before the <span class="highlight">beer</span>)

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:53
ThreadID: 65031 Views:2676 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
I know I might be a bit slow on the uptake but I thought I would share with you all this bit of info, recently I realised that a great way to have icy cold water for the other half and I while on holidays was to use a the Glad ice cube bags (right size fits down thermos neck) and freeze over night in caravan fridge or chescold freezer then put in thermos and fill with ordinary water and gives you cold water for up to 48 hours, or use it at lunch and refill for cold water at night (i know that is when the beer or wine comes out) It is really nice to have really cold water when it is boiling hot, so now when we travel we take to thermos one for a cuppa and the other for really cold water. The Glad ice cube bags are effective as they can be slid into any small space in the freezer as space is usually limited. Hopes this helps some one else
Barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:36

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:36
Not a bad idea at all, thanks. The topic made me recall the old canvas water bags that cooled the contents through evaporation of a small amount of water that seeped through the canvas fabric. Worked very well in hot dry conditions

I can recall as little snapper, my Dad giving me cold drinks a trip across the Nullabor. This was in 1962, on our way to the Empire games (note: not Commonwealth Games back then) - most of the Nullabor was still gravel road and we were in a Holden FC Station Sedan towing a bondwood caravan...

Haven't seen one for years - do they still make them? As I recall you had to ensure the bag didn't rub on any metal surface. I think this would cause leaks, so you had to put a leather flap between them any metal surfaces.

Ian - showing his age...
AnswerID: 343828

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (Hunter Valle - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:59

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:59
Ian, with that trip in mind, you might find thread 64787 ineresting, if you missed it.

Also thanks for the tip Barbara.

Fred.
FollowupID: 611682

Sponsored Links