Travelling with <span class="highlight">dogs</span> - Poison scare

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:44
ThreadID: 65143 Views:6258 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,
dog Rusty was on death row, rescued 5 minutes before finitum. He seems to remember. So do I. There is a strong bond between us. Separation makes him a piece of misery. Me too.
For our website we have to spend most winter months in the outback. Rusty loves it. I become a nervous wreck fearing 1080 fox poison. It’s widely used and kills dogs too.
The law demands clear marking where the poison has been laid. But nobody cares about it. Nobody enforces it. It’s a Mickey Mouse law.
I tried a muzzle on Rusty. It turned the world’s friendliest dog ballistic. Have run out of ideas. A Thankyou to those who have one and let me know.
Klaus and Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:31

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:31
Klaus

"Rusty was on death row, rescued 5 minutes before finitum"

how was he rescued, we have been told there is NO antidote for 1080, we travel with Benney all the time have a bait management plain and stick to it. but she is only as safe as us when we go bush. she's to old to change.

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 344453

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:44

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:44
Klaus

We have to watch our furry child as well. I know dois are attracted to 1080 so we have to be extra vigilant. Lots of training. Luckily she always thinks that she is going to be left behind so stays in the truck most of the time. We have been lucky so far travelling many bushtracks of WA, the capital state of 1080!

Cheers
AnswerID: 344457

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:46

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:46
dois =dogs

Oh for an edit function....hahahahaha
FollowupID: 612403

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:18

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:18
Hi Klaus, glad to hear Rusty is OK.

I can only speak for WA, but there are now very strict controls here. The unknown factor is that when aerial baiting is used, the sausage like 1080 baits can be carried and dropped over some distance by crows.

In WA now, to use baits, we have to have qualified in a short training course, apply to the Department of Agriculture officer, submit a farm plan of where baits will be laid, and only over a specified two week period. We have to put up signs and notify all our neighbours. Only once an approval certificate is issued, can we purchase the baits, which have to be carried and stored under lock and key.

Over the past few years, the baits have been in a hard dried piece of meat which is tethered by a wire, and we leave out overnight and remove uneaten baits each morning. I understand that these baits have been discontinued in favour of the more palatable sausage shaped baits, so tethering may not be an option. Getting up before the crows may be the only option.

You may be able to get a friendly vet to issue you with the tablets they use under the dog's eyelid which cause vomiting. This saved my son's pup once.

Back when i was a little chick, my father always had a large jar of strychnine powder in the ute glove box and every time he found a dead lamb, he put some into the entrails to try and reduce the fox damage at lambing time. We never lost any of our dogs to these baited carcases during my childhood. I have in later years lost two dogs to what must have been very old baited matter moved by crows. It is devastating.

We can know longer purchase strychnine, only 1080 baits, as the latter is less harmful to our endangered native animal species.

Keep a close watch on your Best Friend.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 344460

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:41

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:41
Motherhen,
full strength jet sheep dip has the same effect as strychnine

Have a good one.
FollowupID: 612413

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:52

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:52
Lucijet (jetting fluid concentrate) was the very best - the only one with no odour, but that has been off the market for years now.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612415

Follow Up By: Ace000 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:02

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:02
FWIW..may help somebody someday:

If a working dog or pet is known to have consumed a bait but is NOT yet
showing signs of poisoning, induce vomiting by giving one of the following
emetics by mouth:
o Washing soda crystals (sodium carbonate) – 3 to 5 crystals
o Table salt – 1 to 3 tablespoons
o Dilute hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) – 3 to 5ml
o Dilute mustard and water solution.
THEN SEEK VETERINARY ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. The sooner
action is taken following poisoning the better the prognosis.
If these emetics are not immediately to hand or you are not having success in
making the dog vomit it is better to seek veterinary attention immediately
rather than waste time.
• If the dog has already begun to show signs of toxicosis (retching and vomiting,
frenzied behaviour such as running and howling, convulsions, difficulty
breathing etc.), DO NOT induce vomiting, but seek veterinary attention
without delay.
• Veterinary intervention aims to decrease 1080 absorption and facilitate
excretion; control seizures; and support respiration and cardiac function.
FollowupID: 612417

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:25
MH,
well aren't I a bit behind the times, didn't know you can't get the dip anymore.

FollowupID: 612419

Follow Up By: Member - Klaus J (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:06

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:06
Many thanks to Ace000 for reply and advice. Unfortunately, our situation is a bit complicated. Photographing and filming you need both eyes at the camera and not always on an inquisitive dog. And the next vet is often far away. But thanks for the suggestions.
Greetings - Klaus and Rusty
FollowupID: 613175

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:25
Klaus, how far do you roam from the vehicle? We met people last year travelling with three dogs, two small and one beautiful big dingo with a touch of german shepherd. The had cages on the back of the ute under canvas, or were mostly on a leash in caravan parks. The were always quiet in the camps, but would certainly make a noise if anyone approached the vehicle if left parked while they walked, especially the dingo howling.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613183

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:53

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:53
My only advice is to keep the dog chained at night as that is the time that your dog will be more likely to "dissapear" in areas where you suspect 1080 poisins.A friend of mine lost his dog while we were pig shooting and all he heard was some loud yelping late at night but never found the dog---not nice to lose your pet or working dog like that.
AnswerID: 344494

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:50
I recall one of our aerial baiting programs back in the day - where CALm accidentally dropped a bait on oneof our neighouring afrmers fropnt lawn where she had her pedigree female dog tethered on a leash.

It died!

Bit embarrassing to say the least - from memory CALM were too tight to reimburse her the value of the dog as her prime pedigree breeder which was a substantial amount she was claimiing and not unreasonably IMHO.

The crows redistributing the baits is the "out' that CALM always fall back on when they goof up.

Don't underestimate CALMS culpability potential in baiting - the staff are trained and do try to do the right thing but occasionally stuff up.

That said the actual aerial fox baiting does work wonders in bringing back species like southern brown bandicoots and Phascogales etc - bye tragetting the spring dispersal of fox cubs very siccessfully - the density of aerial bating usually aims for at least 1 bait per square kilometer!

With that in mind and your camping somewhere that should give you an idea of the potential - obviously springtime is the danger time.

Also - when aerial baiting they only signpost the boundaries they actually publish details in the paper - which is sposed to be sufficient notification - they do mail out adisoris to neighbouring landowners as well.

Nuthings perfect but a muzzel is the best answer.

Cheers
AnswerID: 344503

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:34
Gday,
We used to bait with stricknine and only ever use the leftovers from a killer.
The rule was wipe the bait in cuts on the cheeks ( still attached to the skin) The reason was because the carcass was too heavy to drag away. Its awful $hit but was the thing of the time.
Its hard to do and even harder for old dogs .....but....teach your dog not to pick things up, keep an eye on them and dont let them rome at night. Be especially carefull around water ( tanks, bores troughs, turkey nests and dams etc)
The old thing for a cure was salt....as much as you could get in to them...usually in the form of salty water....cant vouch for that though!

Good luck

Cheers
AnswerID: 344508

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 00:47

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 00:47
Klaus,
Our geriatric bitch is best described as a nose followed by a stomach : ( maths eh: N+S= Bait, or so I'm told).
We all survived a recent 16000km trip, much of it in 1080 country.Not easy, I tellya.(My Lady stood watch, true.)
Next trip the Old Girl will sport a muzzle. (Dog, mate, Dog. Don't be so rude!!)
Strewth! Flamin' Humans!!
Scheesch.
Onya Klaus, and more power to our furry companions. National Parks reek of pigs, goats, (people), cattle,camels,cats, and god knows what else, but personal canines are forbidden?
Ain't logic grand?
Having said that
Jess (The Boss), reckons we'll all just stay at home and rot in a communal , 'Park Safe' heap.
Sad eh.
Jeff.
AnswerID: 344538

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:34

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:34
Hey Jeff,

Not to mention kids and poorly maintained vehicles!

No chance we'll be stopping our traveling (with 10 month old now, and both dogs).

Just have to be vigilant and responsible...

Good travelin,

Ross and Jo.
FollowupID: 612646

Sponsored Links