HELP pls, Nat map250k vs garmin topo aust vs shonky maps???????????

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 13:44
ThreadID: 67331 Views:4912 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, a few more map type / system questions

I have been looking at running nat maps on a lap top (hopefully with a solid state hard drive) with ozi explorer, which seems many do but talked to a few that have had std hard drives die and so wanted to get a solid state type but they are expensive and i read also do wear out apparently???

So then looking at running maps on our garmin 176c chart plotter gps, but then we have nat maps (which i am not sure if i can get onto the garmin) "garmin topo" which looks less easy to read map type than the nat maps (possibly just because i have nat maps and am used to the type of map?) but have been told they have more detail??? and also the "shonkymaps" which is possibly the same as garmin topo but for free.

My knowledge here is limited but i dont want to bark up the wrong tree and waste time and $.

What are the differences between the map products? Which is the best to read / use and greatest detail?

Is there a big reason to go down the pc path? Or is there nothing better about the pc running the maps over a gps?

Why do most seem to be running a pc based system??

Sorry about the long windedness
Kind regards
GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:11

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:11
Many of us have been through this process... in the end it's personal choice and what you feel comfortable with. Many run standard hard drives without problems (myself included).

Some of the following threads may help you:

I run a HP laptop with OziExplorer, a usb BU-353 Gps mouse; plus Garmin 60Csx with OzToppo maps. The large screen with OziExplorer (which also alllows you add additional maps) works well. Hope this helps.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357040

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:05

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:05
Hi Fred B
Thanks for the thread # to look at (will check them out tomorrow when i get time) and other info

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 625202

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:44

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:44
Just downloaded shonkymaps, looks good. Will have a play later, so I have nothing to compare shonky with OzTopo as yet. Will let you know as time progresses.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625243

Reply By: just - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:16

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:16
I use an asus eeepc 900 (8.9" screen) $520 running windows xp, oziexplorer and bluetooth gps receiver from ebay. Works a treat - especially with a touch screen I installed! The eeepc is solid state, small, light and sits (velcro'd) on a tiny table of PVC anchored above the radio via a dashboard pocket of my '06 GU. I've also installed Copilot street nav for metro use. HDD limited to 16 GIG so have my maps on a 16 gig sd card - been off track to the centre of the Simpson, then up to Jervois and back down the Hay River and through far north of the Flinders and it hasn't missed a beat yet! The eeepc is also used for transferring digital pics and video to by portable HDD a (160 gig ipod) and you can use it to watch videos, surfing the net, word processing spreadsheeting etc...
AnswerID: 357041

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:11

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:11
Hi just replied
I only heard today about an EEEPC so what exactly are they?
A small SS HDD / cheap but robust pc ?

I did discuss the SD card idea with my pc man but he had some reason against (sorry cant recal as been through many discusions).

So you use a 160 gig ipod a more hard drive space in effect for stuff you dont need until back home? do i have this right?

He recons we need an 80GB HDD

Regards
'GN
FollowupID: 625204

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:19

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:19
Hi GN

I think I'd need to know about your real usage before giving specific advice.

In our situation we find our 276c GPS still the best alternative and
this is backed up with appropriate paper maps and a PC
which we carry but rarely drag out and use in a live situation.

I have found Natmap to be of little use in Vic, we are much better severed with the Roof-top series in paper and electronically.

Roof-top can't be put on our GPS , so we use the City Navigator
and back it up with Shonky maps as next best.

All of the above have their pro's and con's so before a trip we ensure we have important waypoints loaded for the area we intend to go in.
Auto routing to waypoints - wether by road - or line of sight- is our
major way to target a destination and this is somewhat map independant.

As well we try and have the appropriate track loaded or create a track if none exists , as our GPS is one of very few which can navigate a user uploaded track which is something things like Ozi cannot do.

The creation of the tracks when camped or before hand is the major use of our PC as they have insufficent brightness and are to awkward for constant use by us.

The reliability of PC's including solid state versions is satisfactory
these days and most failures are user caused.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357043

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:33

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:33
**Roof-top can't be put on our GPS**

Hiya Robin

Its quite surprising that RoofTop is lagging behind in this area,i believe if they bought one out it would be an instant winner...Although they do bring out a cd with there maps so you can load on your computer and then view if you hav oziexplorer...

cheers
FollowupID: 625131

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 16:25

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 16:25
Hi - Rooftoop maps work on my GPS - the limitation is with the Garmin 276C (and other units that can not run OziExplorerCe or other similar programs) not the maps.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625145

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:18

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:18
Hi Robin
thanks for input

Our use is to just get the best out of our trips and to have a system running as we travel around and be able to se whats close by and have a look / camp, rather than get home and then find we have been close to something we would of loved to looked at etc, as well as finding alternative routes for return journeys etc

So to get the shonky maps on the 276c, did you have to buy a garmin memory card?
I was told you can only buy from garmin and that max size is 516MB and so would need 2 to fit the shinky mpas on or 3 to fit the oz topo and so at $250 each would make the purchase of a new navigator type GPS eg garmin NUVI 255w for $330, which takes SD cards would end up being cheaper?

I thought that nap maps were pretty good so I am interested in what you say that you like the roof top and shonky more so.

I have not yet come across the roof top maps, where do you get these? cost? scale?

Do you know if I can run the roof top maps on a garmin NUVI 255w.

Again my apologises for my lack of knowledge here.
Also sorry for slow replys, work load extremly variable.

Kind regards
GN

FollowupID: 625184

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:35

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:35
Hi - sorry to butt in ..but Shonkymaps (when compiled for use on GPS) only requires about 192mb....so you wont need two 512mb cards for that. Also keep in mind there is no need to load the entire mapset - you can select certain subsections depending on where you are going. Unless you are doing a trip to every location in Australia and will not be taking a laptop there is no need to have all of Australia loaded at once.

I have purchased garmin cards on ebay for fraction of the cost of those from local dealers though they are not commonly on sale.

Rooftop maps are in raster format and are for use with OziExplorer type software which will not run on Nuvis of any type. If you purchase a garmin gps you will be confined to using garmin format maps (though I think there is or was some winCE based PDA type garmins that could be hacked to run oziExplorerCe ..not sure..Nuvis are not one of them though)

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625191

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:17

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:17
Hi Explorer

More good info.
I spoke to a bloke today in retail who told me that shonky maps will need 900MB of space.
Its unfortunate whne your out of your depth and are struggling with the terminology let alone the info.

Thanks also for the ebay tip.

Regards'GN
FollowupID: 625207

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:50

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:50
Never had a problem with my laptop it's my work laptop as well.

Laptop under seat, touch screen folds away in my spare DIN slot, mouse GPS. I also run a little USB hub to plug the camera in to download photos etc onto the laptop.

Works for me
AnswerID: 357048

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:22

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:22
Hi troll 81

I know many say lap top will be fine?????

What are these "mouse GPS" that many talk about?

What kind of touch screen do you run? size? cost?

Regards

GN
FollowupID: 625211

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:41

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:41
Hey

You can read about the mouse GPS here MOUSE GPS

I got my touch screen from these guys IMPORTS but I don't think they sell that model anymore. Mine goes back a good 3 years now I think. Cost me about $700 back then I think
FollowupID: 625327

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:31

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:31
GN

I run NatmapRaster 250K in Ozi on a PDA. I also have an Acer solid state Netbook for more detail Natmap Raster mapping in Ozi, Hema and tohers, travel notes, diary and photo downloads.

Before a trip I study Google Earth and Natmap 250k, plot waypoints in Ozi and sometimes print paper maps of a particular target area. I am happy with Natmap Raster Mosaic for what it is worth although I think 1/100,000 maps would be better. Unfortunately some of the mapping detail is still out by 10 years!

My old Notebook lasted 5 years but in the end I found it too cumbersome in the cabin. I ran a Magellan GPS through the Notebook

I also carry General Commercial Road Atlases and Paper Maps of target areas for travel.

You really only need good mapping if you are going into forests or remote areas especially where there are too few or too many physical landmarks and a plethora of tracks running everywhere. Most of the time your Brand Road maps are good enough.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357051

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:27

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:27
Hi Willem

hmmmm, dont want to ask but, what is a PDA? is it like a personal electronic diary?

So why the PDA and lap top set up?

The Acer lap top, is that a 16GB solid state hard drive like others have mentioned?
If it has got a small HD, how do you overcome this?
What kind of $ for the acer set up?

What size screen on the PDA?

Have you sen the roof top maps that others have mention? If so what do you recon about them?

Have you seen oz topo maps / comments?

I agree with the lap top size being a pain, so obviously the acer is quite compact?

Kind regards
GN
FollowupID: 625215

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:46

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:46
GN

PDA Personal Digital Assistant. 4.5 inch screen but right there on the dashboard in front of me and large enough for in drive observations.

Acer Aspire One 160GB Hard Drive. $485 Smaller than A4 sheet of paper

The Netbook is basically for photo storage but also for trip planning

Don't know about Rooftop or Oztopo maps. Have been using Natmap Paper and digital for 40 years and have become used to them :-)

Regards

FollowupID: 625221

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:53

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:53
Thanks Willem

I will check out the PDA. I agree with the screen size being ok, my 176c garmin chart plotter only measures about3.8" diagonaly and i find the size to be fine.

So why a PDA instead of a GPS ?

So the lap top is not a solid state hard drive i take it. Do you only use this when stationary?

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 625223

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:34

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:34
GN

My PDA is a Hewlett Packard 5695? with built in Garmin GPS and lots of toy features including Tom Tom. I can put you on to the right fella if you want to buy one with all the goodies installed.

Yes Netbook/Laptop is Solid State (read my original post above...lol). Yes I would only use it when stationary.

I also still have a 7 year old Magellan Map 330 GPS which I use for keeping an eye on my real road speed and also for following a course along a Bearingwhen driving offtrack or overgrown tracks.

Does GN stand for George Negus?......:-)

Regards
FollowupID: 625239

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:45

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:45
Hi Willem

Na not George, sorrry.

Thanks for info, i may take you up on offer for contact for PDA, once i sort a decision.

Yep your right i should of looked at your above post closer, but was buggered last night.

It just threw me that lap top was 160GB and $485, seems big and cheap for solid state hard drive???

Kind regards
GN (not George)
FollowupID: 625293

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 13:28

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 13:28
Pesronally I run an Acer Travelmate PC on a home made in car mount, running Oziexplorer with a bluetooth mouse.

SSD's have a life cycle of about 10,000 erases. A very good explanation of how they work and perform can be found Here.

Main reason I use a PC is that I then have the PC for other things like photo storage, web access etc. I also find the normal GPS or PDA screen too small. (old timers disease again ;-()

AnswerID: 357253

Sponsored Links