Maps for Garmin GPS. Garmin topo vs Oztopo

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:29
ThreadID: 67357 Views:19182 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have had my Garmin Nuvi 760 for over a year now and it is a pretty good unit. In this time I have been running Shonkymaps for offroad use. Shonky is quite good but I now want to upgrade my maps.
As far as I know there are two map sets available for the Garmin, Garmin GPS topo and Oztopo.
Has any of you had a chance to compare the two? What is the difference between them? Which do you prefer, and why?
The price difference in minimal ($20-30) so it is not a consideration.
Thanks
Zig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:08

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:08
Hi Zig,
you need to look at previos threads about this topic, as similar Q's come up all the time. Can give you some info though that may help.
The Johny Appleseed Topo maps for Garmin show 5mtr contours. The OzTopo version 10mtr contours. For the short time I have had shonkymaps (free), shonky seems to have many similarities to OzTopo, but not as detailed (from what I have seen so far) as the Johnny Appleseed version. Friend has Johnny Appleseed and I have Oztopo. We have tried to compare the maps with areas we both know and have traveled. Difficult to say which is better overall. Some of my magellan maps show tracks garmin don't and vice versa.

I haven't seen garmins own version of Topomaps so can't comment. No matter what you use it's always wise to look at google, paper contour maps, NATMAP and other commercial maps etc you can get hold of before your trip. It's amazing what you will find on one and not the other etc.

In the end it's your preference and what $ you want to spend. Personally I would stick with a product made in Oz if possible.

Try and find others in your area who own thes products so that you can see them for yourself if possible.

Any way, enjoy the research, and you will find any one of the products useful in any case.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357157

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:28

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:28
To me the 50 metre Shonky Contour overlay do a great job, and 5 and 10 metre contours just add too many lines across the screen and take up too much memory
FollowupID: 625248

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:33

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:33
Gooday Skippy,
yep.. most of the time I would agree with you. But they do come in handy when doing research and you dont want to end up falling off a cliff (: or trying to climb one in GU .... lol... ha aha ha ha ha!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625251

Follow Up By: Member - Zig (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:05

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:05
Fred
Thanks for the information.
AFAIK the Johnny Appelseed topo maps are the same as the Garmin GPS topo.
The Shonkymaps are good but we often go on tracks that a mate got on his Magellan but there is no tracks on the Shonky. This is in WA. It might be different in other parts of the country.
Cheers
Zig
FollowupID: 625254

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:26

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:26
Hi Zig,

The Magellan is meant to have the same data as OzTopoV2.1
The Garmin topoOz is more up to date but Oztopo v3 will be released soon which will be more upto date

The Garmin TopoOz is auto routable and so will be the Oztopov3

FollowupID: 625257

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:13

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:13
Hello - data used to create contours lines for use with Garmin and Magellan GPS units are all derived from NASA SRTM data which is collected on a ~90m spaced grid (though closed in on more varied terrain apparently). Looks good and has some use for broad scale visualisation of topography. However, IMHO, those who create 5m and even 10 metre contours from this data are kidding themselves and users about its accuracy especially in hilly terrain – 5m/10m contours have littkle actual correspondence to the real world based on my limited experience. If you have any real need for 5m or 10m contours suggest you use contours provided on a far more reliable source e.g. “proper” 25K or 50K topo maps (if available) - paper or digital form.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625259

Follow Up By: Member - Zig (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:39

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:39
Skippy.
Thanks for the information. That was news to me.

Explorer.
The 5/10 m contours are of little interest to me. I am more interested in accurate tracks and other features on the maps.

Thanks
Zig
FollowupID: 625265

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:43

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:43
The topo packages like shonky maps contain additional non-routable data.

However, the new Garmin Topo Australian products has the topo data and additional routeable road and track data.

"TOPO Australia includes up-to-date 100K coverage (where exists), with coast to coast 3-D DEM (digital elevation model) shading accompanied by 20 metre contour coverage and route elevation profiles in compatible units.

Turn-by-turn directions are available on compatible units with routable road content provided by NAVTEQ and HEMA. This includes everything from urban streets to national highways including famous outback routes such as Birdsville, Strezelecki, Oodnadatta, Canning Stock and more.

You can search points of interest by name or proximity to your location, in both urban and outback areas, including lodging, entertainment, food, airports, parks, campsites, caravan parks and more, (provided by NAVTEQ and HEMA). Landmarks, place names and cities, mountains, water bodies, regions and more can also be searched for.

Coverage includes national, regional and local parks, perennial & seasonal lakes, rivers & streams, as well as railways, tracks, paths and trails. Perfect for your next bushwalking, camping or 4WD adventure"
AnswerID: 357245

Follow Up By: Izey76 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 16:11

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 16:11
Hi Mr Pointy can the Garmin topo maps have the contour lines turned off as I have heard that this is not possible with the Garmin Maps but available with Oztopo.

Thanks

Clint
FollowupID: 625362

Reply By: gpsoz - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:22

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:22
OZtopo yes you can turn contours on and off.

Topo Australia - no.
AnswerID: 359669

Sponsored Links