TJM OE BUMPER TYRE CARRIER info and opinions

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 13:11
ThreadID: 70609 Views:7216 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've been comming to this forum for a long time for info and have finally signed up. great site by the way. I was wondering if someone could give their opinion and knowledge on the TJM oe bumper tyre carrier, including, how it mounts to the chassis and the suitability and durability of it offroad. I have been looking into this extensively as i am looking to buy a rear wheel carrier to go with a standard bumper on a hzj105 landcruiser. I've heard the opposite lock "caddie" isn't suitable for heavy offroad use due to vibration, which leaves the kaymar and the TJM. what do you guys think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - T N (Qld) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 17:47

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 17:47
Hi Street Sweeper

We had a Kaymar rear wheel carrier on our 100 series Landcruiser when we travelled around Oz and we were very happy with it. We did the Cape Levique Rd and Gibb River Rd without any problems. It was recommended and installed by TJM in Cairns. We've just had our Landcruiser cut and stretched with a new canopy, so if you are interested our rear wheel carrier is now for sale in the trader section. I can email pics if you are interested.

We also have Outback drawer system, seats and the rear section of the cruiser for sale, if anyone else is interested :)

Happy travels!

AnswerID: 374208

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 20:03

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 20:03
Buy his one if it will fit.
It is a better thing than the TJM

Am halfway around the block with a Kaymar and apart from dust making locking clip a bit stiff its as good as new.

Just make sure it fits, as the solid front end chassis is 45 narrower than an IFS so they arent interchangable.

I might even have the fitting instructions in the car if you need them.

Incidentally I paid $450 for mine with a correctly coloured bumper all drilled and all.

Was only a few months old.

Fitting.They bolt up onto the chassis where your towbar bolts on I put mine under the towbar and packed the other side to match and bought 12mm longer bolts to allow for that.
U also have to cut the under bumper tray (easy) and drill your plastic bumper in the inner curve over the chassis rail.
Also 4 holes near centre to fit the clip to hold it on.
An afternoons work including renewing the bearings (about $20)
You have to take the arm off to do the fitting any way.
Only other maybe problem is whether you have steel or mag wheels as the bit that holds the wheel is different.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 641453

Reply By: street sweeper - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 17:43

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 17:43
hey, thanks for the quick reply, i really appreciate your input, however i believe its a bit of a hike from where i am to buy your wheel carrier as inviting as it is. If it made it around oz, its surely a good bit of kit, so looks like kaymar it is. i'd love to see your rig, sounds pretty awsome, anywhere to go to see it on the site?
AnswerID: 374364

Follow Up By: street sweeper - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 17:52

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 17:52
hey graham, sounds like you got a pretty good deal there, going off my arb price list its 1158 big ones, so 450 is certainly a good price in comparison. Doesn't look like theres many around my neck of the woods though so looks like i'll be saving up for a week or two. Thanks for the info on the installation, thats the most important part and kaymar and arb are very vague when it comes to this. I had no idea there was a support that mounts inside the bumper until i found a picture of one for sale on gumtree.com.au. It seems pretty solid. do you get any vibe problems with it at all? how would it go fitting a 16 by 8 wheel with a 285/75R16 on it? would it rub against the arm of the carrier?
FollowupID: 641585

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 18:04

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 18:04
I actually got mine from a guy in a fitting shop It apparently belonged to a guy who had it fitted and then changed his mind and bought a dual one on a whole rear bar.

I even got a pair of LED tail lights with it @ $59 each

I dont get much vibration but I did have a Codan Autotune aerial mounted where the light is supposed to go.

It only had about 10mm clearance on the taildoor and rubbed the paint off it so yes it probably does move.

A Cruiser spare wheel weighs 41kg so a fair bit to hold perfectly still,.

The part that the wheel sits on, slides back and forth to whatever width you want up to a point so that size tyre will be OK. You fit the wheel and slide it so the tyre sits against the frame to hold it steady.

I actually moved it out to get the aerial in and just glued some 25mm rubber to the bars where the tyre usually backs up to. Got me the space I thought I needed Paint proved I needed more LOL.

Email me I will send the fitting instructions
FollowupID: 641589

Reply By: Member - T N (Qld) - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 23:02

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 23:02
Street Sweeper,

Our spare wheel never came into contact with the paintwork on the rear door.

We haven't taken the van out to get a photo of the new rig yet, but will get some photos to update our profile soon. We still need to get some tool boxes mounted in front of the rear wheel arch and a tinny and loader are on the wish list. Good luck with the wheel carrier.

Cheers

Tom
AnswerID: 374422

Sponsored Links