NE NSW places to go and see.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:12
ThreadID: 70979 Views:2527 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to head out for a week over the September school holidays. I am planning to travel around NE NSW (Glen Innes, Armidale, Inverell, etc...)

What National parks do people suggest or any attractions etc... Would like some suggestions on any 4wding treks etc as well.

Thanks Adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:24

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:24
if you would travel just abit further north to Tenterfeild then i would say definately go visit Bald Rock Nat. Park. we stayed at Boonoo Boonoo for a few days which is a nice little spot, from there we visited Bald Rock aswell as the Pyramid at Girraween Nat. Park
both places were a work out on the legs carrying an 18mth old baby up and back on both climbs, but they are spectacular views from each spot and well worth the effort.
AnswerID: 376199

Reply By: OzTroopy - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 21:20

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 21:20
Inverell to Emmaville to Torrington to Torrington State Recreation Area to Tenterfield. ??? or you can double back on back roads to Glen Innes.

Meets your 4wd trek requirements ... lol

NP & State Forest near Torrington ... plenty of easy walks, fossicking, sightseeing, mining history etc. Museum at Emmaville is definitely worth a donation entry.

Take plenty of warm clothes.
Drinking water required at the Torrington NP campsite.

oooops .... keep forgetting ... the recreation area is a conservation area now.
AnswerID: 376232

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 23:31

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 23:31
Mann River is pretty ca 30km east of Glen on the old Grafton Rd.
Inverell has Copeton Dam and approx 1 hour NW to Severn/ Macintyre Junction Kawimbal NP.
Armidale has a host of National Parks about 30-60 minutes east, New England, Cathedral Rock, Oxley Wild Rivers, Chelundai etc.
Best 4WD opportunities are normally in State Forests, east of Armidale suggest Styx River.
They have a loop road which has been featured in various magazines. A bridge in it has collapsed so you need a detour. Call into Wollomombi store on the way out, they have a whole wall plastered with topographic maps which shows you the detour you have to take.
Styx River state forest runs into New England NP at one end, only a few kms at the end to Point Lookout at over 1500m. It has a few good bushwalks.
Walcha, 45 minutes SE of Armidale also has a host of National Parks. Suggest there you take the hairy ride down to Riverside, a great spot. You will need a key to get into the Park (available from Apsley or Oxley Motors in Walcha) and a vehicle with low range.
Probably best for good scenery and 4WDing is the private property called West Kunderang, a grazing lease surrounded by the Oxley Wild rivers NP, about 60-90 minutes east of Armidale. Google it for more details and talk to Cindy. You can combine that with Styx River & Point Lookout.
Bear in mind in early Sept you can still get some exceptionally cold nights at Armidale down to -7, and frosts are still common in late Sept.

AnswerID: 376249

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 08:29

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 08:29
Maybe have a look at the Forestry's Trek under treks on this site. I did that a couple of months ago, was fantastic, see my blog for info. That will take you to Kempsey, from Kempsey you can take the Old Armidale Rd to Armidale and go from there. Could make a nice circular trip from Sydney and back.

Tony
AnswerID: 376262

Sponsored Links