4 Year Old Boy Attacked by Dingo on Fraser Island..

Submitted: Friday, Aug 07, 2009 at 20:31
ThreadID: 71317 Views:3420 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Just In..

Rangers are searching for a dingo that attacked a four-year-old Dutch boy walking on a beach with his family on Fraser Island.

The child was at Hook Point, at the island's southern end, on Wednesday when the animal knocked him to the ground and bit him on the legs.

Rangers have not yet been able to track down the animal but are required to put it down, as the attack has been officially labelled a dangerous incident.

Queensland Climate Change and Sustainability Minister Kate Jones said the boy's parents and witnesses in a car were able to fend off the dingo.

"But it took a while before the dingo stopped being a threat to the family - it appeared to have lost all wariness of humans," Ms Jones said.

"We would regard the attack as serious and the individual dingo as dangerous."

The boy did not need stitches and the family left Australia on Friday as scheduled.

Ms Jones said witnesses were able to describe the dingo, including its tag.

She said rangers believe it is part of a pack that has become used to human contact.

"The pack is believed to have been regularly fed by an individual who frequents the island," she said.

"This leads to dingoes losing their natural wariness of humans and unsupervised children can be particularly vulnerable."

Feeding dingoes carries a fine of $300 and a maximum court penalty of $4000.

Ms Jones said rangers would be stepping up their dingo awareness campaign.

One ranger, Col Lawton, told the Nine Network his colleagues believed they knew the animal responsible.

"That particular site has been an issue for us for a number of months," he said.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the attack was a sobering reminder that the world's largest sand island was not without its dangers.

"The EPA is taking the necessary action to remove this dingo from the stocks there to ensure this dingo, which appears to have lost any fear of humans, is no longer a threat," she said.

A spokesman for Ms Jones said that once the dingo was found and confirmed as the animal responsible, it would be humanely destroyed.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:13

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:13
Gday
A few weeks back we had a 1 year old attacked in our lounge room by a Jack Russel cross. Grand daughter ok and dog gone to the big kennel in the sky.
No kid is to be trusted with animals ( or the other way round )
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 378113

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:43

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:43
Murray,

People say the same thing about me and cats

I can't be trusted with them hahahahahahaha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 645457

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 11:48

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 11:48
how bad was the attack ? maybe would have been better to give dog up for adoption / re homing ( childless house )

Boc
FollowupID: 645467

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:02

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:02
Gday Ozboc
Would you want a dog that has attacked your grand daughter?
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 645468

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:20

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:20
Did you actually read my reply ???? - i asked how bad the attack was --- it could be a little nip on the legs to a full blown savage attack where the dog goes NUTZ

I DID NOT suggest YOU keep the dog ( and show me where i did say that ) i suggested if the attack had been mild then to give the dog up for adoption - you know not all homes that have dogs have kids .....

when i was looking to adopt a dog - the website showing the dogs ( rescue dogs from death row ) it would clearly state on the Adds - this dog is good with kids and other animals -- This dog is Not to be around children and so forth ....

Please read my reply again ^^^^

Boc

FollowupID: 645470

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:26

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:26
You did the right thing I would never give the dog another chance.You could never trust it.
We had a cat that scratched our daughter and we gave it another chance and the next time she was scratched through the eye lid into her eye, it never got another chance.
About 5 minutes after we got back from hospital I buried the mungal thing.

Scoof.
FollowupID: 645471

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 14:10

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 14:10
Ozboc
An attack is an attack.There is no good attack ,only bad .I would not want a dog or any animal that has attacked any person, especially my grand child. As Scoof said, no second chance.
Murray

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 645478

Follow Up By: Krakka - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:48

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:48
Pity we didn't have the same policy with humans, ie. pedophiles, murderers, rapists blah, blah blah.

Not saying this was the situation in your case MUZ, but sometimes it really isn't the dog or cats fault. Kids tend to like trying to gouge out the eyes, pull tails and ears etc. No kid should be left unsupervised with a dog.

Krakka
FollowupID: 645505

Reply By: Ozboc - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:13

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:13
every single dog on the planet has a moment of aggression at least once in its life -- perhaps we should just kill them all ---

a pets behavior is a reflection on its owners ....

Boc
AnswerID: 378141

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 16:42

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 16:42
Except a Dingo on Frazer Island is not classed as a pet.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 645494

Follow Up By: Krakka - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:50

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:50
So the sooner people are kicked off of Fraser Island the better in my opinion. It is only humans that have turned these dingo's into what they are.

Krakka
FollowupID: 645506

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 18:52

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 18:52
They are wild animals in search for food and generally they avoid humans. The problem with Fraser Island is that it's the idiots who feed them that have made them no longer wary of humans.

The other issue is what available natural food is there on Fraser Island for them to prey on?? I haven't seen too many.

I suggest that this dingo problem started many years ago with irresponsible fishermen leaving piles of tailor frames on the beach so slowly over the years these dingoes became less shy of humans and started to stop hunting for their natural prey.

So with a perceived depletion of natural food they see a small child in particular as prey and this problem is not going to go away.

Obviously no government will ever kick people off the island but what they need to do is manage the problem better. This idea of tagging dingoes for identification then disposing of the problem dingo is not the answer and will never be the answer.

My view is the government should create a game park on the island similar to what they do in Africa and fence the dingoes into this park so they will be forced to hunt for their natural food, which will probably have to be introduced into the game park anyway.

Obviously humans would be excluded from the park.

FollowupID: 645516

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:19

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:19
I believe there are NO bad dogs only bad owners. Opposite applies with cats though, there are NO good cats, only bad owners. HaHa
AnswerID: 378142

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:20

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:20
"Rangers are searching for a dingo that attacked a four-year-old Dutch boy, the animal knocked him to the ground and bit him on the legs.
The boy's parents and witnesses in a car were able to fend off the dingo.
The boy did not need stitches"

I wonder when I read reports like this just how bad he was "attacked" and "bitten" if he did not require stitches ?

I'm sure if I was walking with my 4 yo son, and I saw a dog approaching, I would stand between the dog and my son, the dog would soon feel the end of my foot before he got to my son.
As a guy with two daughters, I've been in a similar situation, but our Rottweiler was the 'protector' on duty on the day.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 378143

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:23

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 15:23
Gday,
I would have thought with all the bad publicity about Fraser Is. dingos people wouldnt let 4 year olds wander around on there own?
AnswerID: 378145

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 16:24

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 16:24
Any person caught feeding dingos should be banned from the island forthwith ("The pack is believed to have been regularly fed by an individual who frequents the island"). And the fine is not large enough. I believe the animal should be put down, but humans are responsible for dingo behaviour.

Min
AnswerID: 378150

Follow Up By: Krakka - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:52

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 17:52
Put the offending human down, the humans are the problem!!!

Krakka
FollowupID: 645507

Reply By: 93 Navara - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:36

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:36
When we last on Fraser we were staying in the dues to the south of the island. I had already gone to bed in our camper and my wife was brushing her hair before bed. Bending over forward and brushing her hair so that it was everywhere and covering her face as women do. Anyways, on standing back up, lets out a scream as a dingo had entered our camper. That is, front legs and head. I yelled at him to get out and expected him to run off like most dogs, but just looked at me and wasn't woried at all. Had to jump down out of bed and chase him off. Not at all concerned by us and and as bold as brass. We now have a 3 year old and will spend most of our time in the camp grounds this time. Wouldn't leave my boy with a tame dog let alone wild one that starving most of the time.
AnswerID: 378214

Reply By: Flywest - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:38

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:38
He was Dutch - course the dog bit him! ;o)

Cheers
AnswerID: 378306

Sponsored Links