TJM Heavy Rear Springs on 78 Series Troopy

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 18:04
ThreadID: 71353 Views:2895 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 78 Series Troopy fitted with a TJM GVM increase to 3600kg. It is fitted with rear Kamar Dual Wheel Carrier and a Long Ranger Aux Tank so is quiet heavy at the rear however, at about 3200kg the back is sitting down noticeably and does not give the appearance that the springs suit a 3600kg GVM. I have fitted Polyair's which level it up OK but I feel the TJM springs are not correct for the load. The TJM fitter says they are the heaviest springs they have.

Does anybody here know anything about TJM rear springs.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 18:56

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 18:56
Dick
I was looking at Series 2000 at TJM back around 2004/5 , ended up with OME and I'm glad I made the right decision, when I add the van to the tow bar it might drop about 1" , plus it carry's 360 Lts of fuel, 80 Lts of water, and all the other tools and gear, I think these springs are heavier than what's on a Tray back.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 378283

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 19:06

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 19:06
Think you made a good decision Doug, the TJM springs just don't seem to be up to it, or they have given me the wrong springs. They look heavy enough, but just don't seem to have enough "set" in them.

I don't know where the TJM springs are made, perhaps they are imported from China.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 645649

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 19:09
west coast suspensions do all the wa police hd springs and are very helpful
AnswerID: 378287

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:24

Sunday, Aug 09, 2009 at 20:24
I had a hj75 before with the dual cab conversion. I had the rear leaf springs rerolled. Added extra leafs. Had the two thicker bottom ones rolled up to add support. Always hung its arse down. Especially when hooked up to the camper and loaded with gear.

Finally added some helper coil springs in front of the diff housing. Lifted the back end by 45 to 50 mm and retained a pretty even ride when fully loaded. Best thing I ever did for the suspension.

Of course poly air bags would be the trick but at that stage I had limited funds and was looking for robust and least complicated solution.

David

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 378304

Sponsored Links