Shark Bay road conditions

Submitted: Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:48
ThreadID: 71375 Views:2068 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

We're off to Shark Bay next month and are wondering if you can get through to the Peron Peninsula campsites past Denham with a soft-roader camper trailer. It's built very strong but doesn't have the full clearance of an off-road setup. Our 4WD will be fine.

Thanks,

Tristan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 18:39

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 18:39
I lived up that way for a few years and never found the track to be in a condition that wouldn't suit what you're talking about. This time of the year especially.
AnswerID: 378410

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:52

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 19:52
I went up to the cape last week and apart from up near the top where the sand is very dry and quite deep it is OK.

I got passed by a Kia Sorrento going like the clappers digging trenches along the tops of the furrows in the sand.

No wonder tracks get chopped up

There were sevaral camper trailers up there in different places

With a low soft roader you may scrape the axle a bit as it was a bit deep in places and I scraped the bash plate on the croozer a couple of times.
Its wide enough that you can sit one wheel along the side and keep out of the ruts a bit better .
Only about 5 ks is like that.

A lovely place and lots of dolphins and rays around
AnswerID: 378420

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:38

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:38
Winter would be a bettertime to try it, the sand up there in summer is that damn silica type stuff that swallows almost everything.

It's dryer than a camels phart and more slippery than a butchers ol fella.

IF you have a winch and are prepared to uncouple the trailer, get your vehicle out and winch your trailer out a few times - then knock yourself out having a go.

Realise also that if it's a softroader then your ground clearance to axle height will be about maybe 8 inches or so - any wheels sinking to any depth in that soft sand will mean your pulling that nice straight trailer axel thru terra firmer, and the more firmer the worse the terror when you benda the bugga!

Personally I wouldn;t - but then others obviously have and maybe got away with it - I'd wager they were offroad trailers, with independent wishbones & stubs on coil springs with higher ground clearance in the middle than a softroader.

Cheers
AnswerID: 378466

Sponsored Links