<span class="highlight">Foxwing</span> Awning feedback

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 09:33
ThreadID: 71402 Views:8483 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

There have been a few threads in past about the Rhino Rack Foxwing awnings, but only when they were brand new.

I am looking at buying one and would like some feedback regarding how you have found your Foxwing throughout your travels.

Cheers,
Amy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: viz - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:57

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:57
Its big and heavy (19 kg?) and expensive, but I think worth it. Had a bit of difficulty getting ours right open, and took it back where they adjusted it. The cover had a factory defect, replaced on the spot and threw in another bracket for the roof rack.

Once open it provides a huge amount of shade and/or shelter. Has some interesting accessories as well - you can add sides etc, connect the RV series tents to it etc etc.

I don't think there is an equivalent alternative - Kimberly Kampers make something similar, but not as big.

Mounted on the Rhino roof rack it is a solid piece of kit - see how it goes in the outback...

viz
AnswerID: 378503

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 19:24

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 19:24
Such a huge undercover area . Same materials as the oztent . When i go camping i put the foxwing up every time . Its so fast to put up and take down . The best piece of camping equipment i have bought . Ok , its a thousand bucks but when you consider a good quality side awning such as gunyah is around the same price then its a bargain .
AnswerID: 378545

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 19:38

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 19:38
Not really knocking the Foxwing, but it is very easy and cheap to make a quality side awning that also doubles as a tent.
AnswerID: 378550

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 20:08

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 20:08
Yeah I have looked at side awnings and rear ones too, but have an 80 series with barn doors and if it rains the rain goes in the barn doors, meaning that the storage system (base of ply & mdf) gets all wet which really isn't good! Don't really like the idea of having a side awning AND a rear awning... having a cover that comes right around the corner is very appealing :)
FollowupID: 645931

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 20:18

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 20:18
OK Amy, I see the logic of that
FollowupID: 645932

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 21:39

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 21:39
It probably depends more on your expectations on what you want to achieve with a side and rear awning. If you go down that path you end up with a V gap between the two panels but this can be fixed with a piece of canvas and some velcro.

Or you get a Foxwing which does the lot. The commentary on cost is interesting. If you compare what is on the market and at the same quality levels then the Foxwing is quite competitive if you look at the price of two awnings and then a V panel.

One place to look at is polaris innovations who make some excellent quality and quite reasonably prices awnings. They custom made a rear one for our 120 Prado and it is excellent. At the moment that is living on another vehicle and we have been using a Foxwing for the last few months. A very handy item and it will get something of a workout as we head off over the Eyre Peninsula over the next few weeks. It is extremely easy to setup and pull down at a brew stop even and provides great protection from the sun or rain. To date it has proven a great piece of equipment. My only gripe is that you need to carry the poles and pegs separately whereas if the provided a modified cover you could slide them into it

One trick with the Foxwing is the provide mounts make it too high for many vehicles. We ended up using some Rhino L brackets, clamping them to our heavy duty Rhino racks and the awnging then sits almost flush to the top of the roof and you can open doors and get in and out of the car without banging your head. BUT our racks are clamped to the standard Prado roof rails so are higher

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 378583

Sponsored Links