Fuel Pump Recalibration

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 20:56
ThreadID: 71422 Views:1856 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, was just wondering if after getting a snorkel fitted do you need to recalibrate the diesel pump ?? My neighbour had a snorkel fitted and since has noticed some greyish smoke when he plants his foot never had it before ?? It is an 05 exceed 3.2 DID. I am geting a snorkel fitted myself to 01 prado TD and after talking to him today was wondering myself if this needs to be done also. I never had the hilux pump touched after fitting a snorkel. Thankyou,,Regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 21:13

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 21:13
Hi Wheregon

The only way I could see a snorkel causing an engine to smoke when there was no smoke before would be for the fitment to be causing more air intake restriction rather than less. I assume the vehicle in question is a diesel and the smoke you are worried about is unburnt fuel rather than burning oil.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 378572

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 22:32

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 22:32
Hi there Pop, yes its diesel, definately not blue (oil) smoke. Restriction could be a possibility, it use to suck the air directly above the radiator and straight across to the airfilter cannister, where as now it obviously sucks through the snorkel comes down along the side of the guard, in the side of the guard behind the drivers side headlight, curls around 180degrees back into the airfilter cannister ??? mmm Thanks for that. regards Steve
FollowupID: 645966

Reply By: Rut Tearer - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54
No you don't need a calibration. The smoke could be one of the following:

1. Restriction in some way shape or form via the new snorkel?
2. Co-Incidence and there is another reason? (State of Tune etc)
3. Was always there and he is now noticing it?

AnswerID: 378637

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 13:07

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 13:07
Hi there rut tearer, restriction possible I suppose ?? Coincidence possible, always there ??? Nope definately not, have sat behind his vehicle on numerous occasions and never seen it blow the grey smoke like it did the other night... Will look into the restriction part of it, sounds logicle more fuel then air ?? He said he will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see if it happans again and more often, then said he will disconect the snorkel at the air cleaner cannister and run the original back over the radiator to original air intake and see what happens......Regards steve
FollowupID: 646026

Sponsored Links