second hand sat phone or spot messenger

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 22:05
ThreadID: 71424 Views:3501 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi to all you gurus out there
i am in a delema me and wife go bush reguraly and for piece of mind communication is essential for safety and to let family no wot we up to
new sat phone is out of question i received govt subsidy but still to exspensive with plan as it would only used every 2 to 3 months for short trips
have sourced out all info on spot mess and sat phones need to no the risks of 2nd hand phone and model to spot which is one way communication
regards to all and lets crakatinni
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 23:29

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 23:29
Six of one a half a dozen of the other!

Both have there benefits and times for use, there are many pros and cons for both and too many to list here.

If you can afford both get both, it's well worth the extra money.

No real problems with sat phone regarding reliability, just don't get Globalstar or what ever they are called today....Oppps think spot messenger has something to do with them.

We have a Optus Mobilesat phone, PLB (personnel location beacon with GPS), HF radio and UHF not forgetting Next G phone and internet at our disposal when traveling.

I doubt if you would be eligible for the satellite phone rebate and even if you got it make sure it is not under false pretenses, they will prosecute.

AnswerID: 378597

Reply By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 06:08

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 06:08
I was lucky enough to get a second hand Iridium Motorola 9505 for $530 in Hong Kong.

When I got it home, I plugged in my Telstra Next G sim, and it worked perfectly. I think they are pretty rugged and mine had never been to Australia before so they all just work here regardless of where you buy them.

SMS are about 75c ea ( from memory) and calls are as good as $4.00 per min in and out on a Telstra Next G SIM, no sdditional montly plan though. Calls to 000 ( or 112) are free, you don't even need the SIM.

If you get an Iridium, don't go for the 9500, it only has one way sms. Look on US and other ebay as the 9505 often goes cheaper. There is a later 9505a which is almost identical and then the current 9555.

At the price I paid, I reckon it is better than an EPIRB and SPOT ( which has annual fees).

AnswerID: 378609

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:51

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:51
I second the above as thats what I have .

The prices are a bit different though

MikeDID posted prices last week of $1.50 for text and the calls are about $3- $3,50 both IN AND OUT if you use a Telstra Internationally roamed sim card.

The 9505a is not the same as a 9505 despite its appearance being similar

The main difference is that the batteries are not interchangeable as the pins are placed differently.

These phones are the ONLY sat fone to buy if buying S/hand as they work on the multisatellite IRIDIUM network.

The Globalsat has one that only works when it feels like it which is not very often.

They are often for sale on Ebay for around the $1000 mark but make sure you get a recent model with low talk time as the batteries dont last forever and are over $200.
I have one and havent had to use it yet and expect to sell it for about what I paid for it at the end of the trip.

The advantage over Spot is that you can actually talk to someone and get the message across whereas Spot you can only send messages.

FollowupID: 646012

Follow Up By: garny - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 20:05

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 20:05
thanks guys i will endevor to source a sat phone on ebay
FollowupID: 646067

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 23:15

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2009 at 23:15
Just try to get one in Australia and ask for the IMEI number of the phone and the elapsed talk time on it.

FollowupID: 646092

Sponsored Links