search options?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 08, 2009 at 21:46
ThreadID: 72124 Views:2398 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,
I feel like a bit of a twit but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when searching for stuff I type in something like air compressor and I get air conditioning ,I type in Tyre air compressor and I get topics on Tyre sizes ,I just want to know what the trick is to getting the info I'm actually looking for because I just give up and end up posting the same old topics that seem to upset some of the forum users and they sometimes are short and say why don't you use the search facilities at the top of the page so HELP!! and teach me the right way to use this please :(
thanks guys and I'm all ears..or eyes LOL!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: you eat the bear - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2009 at 21:51

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2009 at 21:51
The search supports AND, OR and NEAR boolean matches and " double quotes for exact phrase.
If you want to limit to a time frame ie: show me current threads in the last X days - then simply select/enter a date in the start date field along with your search terms.

Examples - ignore single (') quotes
'canning stock route csr' - the system will return results that match any of the words, so it will look for canning OR stock OR route OR csr.
'canning AND stock AND route' - will look for threads that have all three words somewhere in the thread.
'canning NEAR stock NEAR route' - will find all threads that have all words however the rank will be based on how close the words are together.
'"canning stock route"' (in double quotes) - will find all threads that have an exact match to the string.
'"canning stock route" OR art' - will find all threads with the exact match to canning stock route and will also find all threads with the word art.
'"canning stock route" AND art' - will find all threads that have an exact match to canning stock router and also have the word art in the thread.
'"canning stock route" NEAR art' - will find all threads with the exact match to canning stock route and rank results based on how close art is to string
AnswerID: 382436

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 14:07

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 14:07
excellent advice!
FollowupID: 650063

Follow Up By: you eat the bear - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 14:38

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 14:38
No credit due to me.
That's what you get when you click on Help....

FollowupID: 650075

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2009 at 22:02

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2009 at 22:02
John,

Click the 'Help' button in the bottom right hand corner of the Search box

AnswerID: 382437

Reply By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 07:29

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 07:29
G'day Johny,

I've always had trouble with the search on here aswell, and other forums.
The easiest way I've found is to use google with EO in the search. Works well.

Donks1
AnswerID: 382460

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:01

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:01
Thanks Donks,I'm glad I'm not alone LOL! yeah I have clicked on help before also and I still say that it pains me to use it but as I said I didn't want any smart A's to post a reply saying why don't you use the search facilities that's what its there for so I thought I would ask and thank you all for your replies.

FollowupID: 650202

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:39

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:39
Have a look at this LINK it will give you heaps of info on 'air compressors'. Good luck.
AnswerID: 382480

Sponsored Links