Warn Winch Controller with light

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 14:32
ThreadID: 72813 Views:3546 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have relatively new WARN XDC 9.5 winch that has performed without fault. However the winch controller will spool out the cable but not retrieve it The unit has already been replaced under warranty within 6 months of purchase. Now slightly outside of 12 months the problem has reoccurred. To check that it was not a winch problem I borrowed a mates older style warn winch controller the winch performed perfectly. Has anybody come across this problem?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 17:59

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 17:59
Yes it has happened to me on a couple of occasions with mine, I had some electrical cleaner and just sprayed it liberally into the controller through any gap I could find. Have not had trouble since then. I assume it must be a contact problem, so if you take it apart and give it a clean it may help or do what I did and it may help.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 385998

Reply By: obee1212 - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:59

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:59
I am assuming that by winch controller you mean the hand piece and not the box with the relays.

I bought an X9 sans hand controller and cable. You cant buy a new cable and hand piece without the control box which all comes to over four hundred dollars. I fixed this by fitting trailer light fittings to plug the cable in. These must be the cheapest plug and socket you can buy or in my case, find in the junk box.

The hand piece I made with a rocker switch and momentary switch both 240 volt stuff you can get from a hardware shop. These rocker switches are the standard light switch and can be wired to go on either setting. In this case, go reverse one way and forward the other. the momentary switch is of course to operate by pressing and stopping by letting go. I carved up a piece of wood to take the switches. The cable was an old extension cord.

I think I only paid for the momentary switch which cost about seven dollars.

I am telling you this in case you want an alternative to buying an expensive replacement. You have the cable already so making a hand piece should not be a prob for you or one of your handy friends.

Owen
AnswerID: 386103

Reply By: Member - Donald S (WA) - Thursday, Oct 29, 2009 at 20:21

Thursday, Oct 29, 2009 at 20:21
Thanks for the reply Owen. ARB have taken the old one back and replaced it again under warranty. This was more than I had asked for or expected
AnswerID: 389291

Sponsored Links