googs track in the wet

We were up at tarcoola last thursday morning when the rain came, it did'nt stop till early friday morning.
Do the salt lakes that you need to cross on the track cause any problems when it is so wet.
Dean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 17:00

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 17:00
Dean, what are conditions like at the moment? It would be a bad move to do any track in the wet unless absolutely necessary. The damage caused to the tracks is the first thing that comes to mind. I think the top (north) of the track would be a nightmare if wet. Wait till it dries out.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 386156

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 18:35

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 18:35
Googs track itself, like most tracks in the GVD doesn't suffer badly from rain - water tends to run off and soak into the sand easily, and you don't have a claypan in the swales, like the Simpson.

Those salt lakes near Mt Finke, will have tracks around the perimeter. It was only about an inch of rain that fell last week, so I doubt the lake will be much of a problem.

But the graded road that follows the railway line is best left to dry out - I'd guess it was dry after a day or two.
AnswerID: 386162

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 18:37

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2009 at 18:37
If it is wet at Mt Finke and you are obviously intending to do the track in the not recommended direction then your turn into Mt Finke is across a salt lake and if it is wet then do not dirive it under any circumstances.

Instead of turning right follow the track straight ahead for several kilometers and you will come across the dirt track in. But this also winds its way along some quite low ground which can be very boggy when wet as well.

Apart from that there are no salt lakes to cross

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 386163

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 21:33

Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 21:33
We must have passed you Dean. We did Googs last Wed-Fri, and travelled from near Mt Finke to Googs Lake on that very wet Thurs. No worries at all. Went straight, didn’t turn off to Mt Finke - had intended to climb Mt Finke this trip but it was just too wet. As Phil said, sand pretty easy in the wet. Walked onto Googs Lake on Fri morning - sunk in up to 6 inches in places so any cars trying their luck would have struck trouble.

It was our second Googs trip - beaut enjoyable trip (even despite the rain). Other nice thing was that every single car on the track was using its radio well, acknowledging others, showing courtesy etc – we passed a good number as we were going south and all exchanges were pleasant and even good fun. Cheers
AnswerID: 386316

Follow Up By: Dean - Friday, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:15

Friday, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:15
It was wet.
I wanted to climb Mt. Finke but due to the rain goog's can wait for another day.
Good to see you can now get fuel at kingoonya.
FollowupID: 653955

Sponsored Links