<span class="highlight">Generator</span> not holding idle

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 21:25
ThreadID: 73228 Views:2457 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a Boss YK1000 that im going to sell at a garage sale soon and i can get it to start but not to hold an idle, I have tested it and it is putting out power, it runs for about 1min then shuts off and only idles for about 5 seconds after re-start.

I will post pictures soon (dont have the right camera with me) It has a Progressive idle slide bar with a choke and is a 2 stroke, blue metal cover on top, Looks pretty old...

Thanks in advance

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 21:40

Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 21:40
Perhaps this may be of assistance ??

Two Stroke Engine Troubleshooting

:)
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 388279

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 22:13

Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 22:13
Often the biggest problems with small 2 stroke engines is the quality of fuel. If this is older fuel it will affect the running.

Another one is the quality of the 2 stroke oil. I had an issue years ago with cheap 2 stroke oil in an outboard - it just struggled to go. Change to more expensive manufacture recommended oil and no problems.

Another thing is if you have not run the carbi dry last time you used it and allowed fuel to sit in there it can leave a fuel gum layer that will clog the system up.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 388282

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 14:12

Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 14:12
hi
take the carby fuel bowl off and clean it and flush some new fresh fuel through the system as mentioned petrol looses it's octane in the gen tank when it's been there for a period of time and clean the spark plug
FollowupID: 656011

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 07:33

Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 07:33
Have not followed the above link - but will give some input

as the above poster says - fuel does go " Stale" when mixed up as 2 stroke - it has a very distinctive smell when its gone off- this stale fuel can also act like straight fuel and damage the internals of the motor , as well as destroy fuel hoses - you should only mix up fuel in very small batches ( 2 ltrs ) and use within a few weeks - if storing for any period - you should drain ALL fuel and run it out of the fuel lines and carbi ..

NOW your problem - if its fairly consistent with idol time , i would suggest you either have a fuel blockage/partial - or fuel line has deteriorated and is now sucking air. does it run well on Partial choke - but when choke is off --- runs out ?

another problem is wear and tear / damage to motor -- this is usually shown as hard to start / will not run when HOT - but will run again when cold - quick look at piston after taking off muffler will show any scoring / damage - and if you can fit a 4 thou feeler gauge between the piston wall and cylinder -- then the clearance is to excessive and will not allow the motor to run correctly

and lastly - with my gen - the breather on the fuel tank was blocked - so after about 5 min it would stall -- opened the tank lid and could hear a very distinctive suction release.... maybe try your gen with the cap slightly open to allow air flow as the fuel to these machines is gravity feed

Boc

AnswerID: 388318

Reply By: Mike GU - Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 20:31

Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 20:31
Hey thanks for all your replies, ill change the fuel to some fresh stuff and go from there, im sure ill get it going with the information supplied.

Thanks alot!!!

Mike
AnswerID: 388433

Sponsored Links