This Thread has been Archived
A sad path to take

News
Australia sold to the highest bidder
By Tracy Spicer
The Daily Telegraph
November 23, 2009 08:04am
Destinations such as Wilson Island have been sold to Delaware North in the US
WITH a list of iconic Australian tourism destinations being sold off to the highest bidder, Tracy Spicer fears Australia has become ripe for the picking. AMERICAN tour guide, Far North Queensland, circa 2020: "Well, folks, welcome to the Great Barrier McReef!

"Over there you can see Woodrow Wilson Island, named after our late president. Hey, any of you been to Nike Air's Rock yet? Used to be called Uluru but that's a bit hard for us to pronounce!

"Seems some folks back home liked these Aussie tourist attractions so much, they bought the companies! Anyone for a Bud?"

YOUR SAY: Is this good for tourism or will we lose our identity?

Welcome to the brave new world of McTourism. While we've been looking over our shoulders at interlopers on leaky boats, an American conglomerate has bought five of our iconic tourist destinations.

Delaware North now owns three islands in the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef - Wilson, Lizard and Heron.

But wait, there's more.

The hospitality and food giant has also gobbled up Kings Canyon Resort in Watarrka National Park, midway between Uluru and Alice Springs.

And the ink is almost dry on the contract to buy El Questro Wilderness Park & Homestead on one million acres - yes, you read that right - in WA's remote Kimberley.

You'd know this property from the famous cattle-driving scenes in the movie Australia.

Whoever said irony was dead?

Oh - and guess what else is up for grabs?

Australia's biggest property trust GPT says it wants to offload the remainder of the Voyages portfolio, including Ayers Rock Resort, Longitude 131 and Brampton Island.

Now, I'm not implying that Delaware North is incapable of protecting our pristine assets. And I'm not implying that it fails to understand the Australian market.

Delaware North has a 20-year history Down Under.

Furthermore, I'm not implying that Delaware North has nefarious intentions.

But when did it become OK to sell off the family jewels?

Since the free trade agreement was signed in 2005, the US has been able to invest up to $1 billion at a time without seeking approval.

China has asked for the same deal, during its free trade negotiations.

At the same time, foreign companies are covertly buying up adjacent farms in Australia to use as a "salad bowl" in the case of global food shortages.

Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi and Kuwait want to purchase more than $1 billion worth of our farmland to feed their own people.

It all smacks of a neo-colonialism. And Australia is ripe for the picking.

We're like eager puppies, rolling over and begging for a belly scratch from our benevolent masters.

Who has beetroot on their hamburgers anymore? Why not grab a Big Mac!

Our mates, male and female, are referred to as "guys".

Rather than G'Day, we greet each other with "hey", straight from a Seinfeld episode.

This might seem inconsequential. Xenophobic, even. But cultural genocide is the death of a thousand cuts.

I can accept the American influence in film, music, sport, literature and language.

What I can't accept is the loss of what makes this place special - the coral cays of the Great Barrier Reef; the red rawness of the Kimberley; the land of the Never Never.

Could you imagine the US Government agreeing to such a thing?

The Grand Aussie Canyon.

The Statue of Liberty, holding aloft a meat pie. Snags at the Smithsonian.

It would never happen.

Delaware North says the purchase of its reef and wilderness properties is part of an overt strategy to move into hotels and resorts in Australia. It makes you wonder what's next.
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:21

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:21
And then almost every TV personality has to say OMG or refer to bush animals as Critters.. It really gets my goat!!!!

AnswerID: 392291

Reply By: Top End Explorer - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:35

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:35
El Questro was originally set up by an English Lord, purely to make tourist money.

The movie scene you speak of is not El Questro, it is actually animated, how ever the actors stayed there, It was a crap movie anyway.LOL

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 392294

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:33

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:33
And the same applies to Cable Beach Resort in Broome.
Developed by Lord McAlpine. Before that, it was sand dunes (still is, really). Put Broome on the map as a tourist destination, tho.

There's some nice stuff to see at El Questro, but one gets the feeling that there's someone's hand in your pocket the whole time you're there (and that's not counting the part of ELQ reserved for the very rich). The feeling that you're on a real working cattle station comes across as a bit plastic....

FollowupID: 660215

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:41

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:41
I wouldn't worry too much, they're not going to take the island home, besides I'd rather see it in American control than an Arab refugee stepping stone into our country,
It annoys me that people knock anything USA, the same chance was there for an Australian Company, No wonder we're called a country of Knockers, people seem to hate anyone who has money, like K.Packer, sportsmen, G.Norman, Japanese,
Why didn't you lot put in a Bid ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 392295

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:05

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:05
Maybe with the collapsing US dollar we can borrow from the Chinese and buy it all back but them maybe they will own it by then anyway.

What will happen will happen and we will have little influence in the outcome so just enjoy what you can while you can and hope that our children and grandchildren can adapt.

If when I die they bury me alongside a Yank a Pommie a Muslim or a Chinaman I doubt if the worms will give me preference they will treat everyone the same.
Ian
FollowupID: 660197

Follow Up By: Atta Boy Luther - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 18:30

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 18:30
Quote from Doug T "besides I'd rather see it in American control than an Arab refugee stepping stone into our country" . Sorry to tell you that Dubai Ports control half the ports in australia .
FollowupID: 660280

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:57

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:57
I'll ad a little more.
I have been to USA twice, while there I stopped off for a meal at a truck stop on I-90 across South Dakota, at the next table were 3 drivers (Truckers) , when they had finished their meals they all left to go pay for the meals, (yes I was taking all this in) they left tips in notes on the table, not hidden , and I don't know how much each note was worth but you know what ....it crossed my mind that hell if that happened here in Aust' as soon as their backs were turned some mongrel would take it, The rest area's are amazing, glass doors , no graffitti , no damage , it's a respect for what's given to us here that Australians do not appreciate. then people winge because the rest area's havn't got paper, a phone, drink machine, hand towels, shade, or a toilet although some are getting them but the conditions are appalling in some of them , and who makes them like that, ....the general public, we need to lift our game ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 392299

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:11

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:11
Hear Hear Not all ferals have four legs.

Went into restroom at Maccas in Kalgoorlie on Friday night .

and you wouldnt believe what was sitting in the urinal.

Right next to the loo as well

Thought only dogs were like that.

FollowupID: 660210

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:37

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:37
lol GH, sounds like someone was making a statement.

Maybe it's exactly the same statement that was made to him except his was a little more, ummm fragrent....lol...

or maybe the person was just busting and the cubicles where full at the time, can you honestly blame him??
FollowupID: 660239

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:15
Bye Bye Doug...enjoy the land of the FREE.....................Yeah Go figure
FollowupID: 660270

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:09

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:09
It's scary stuff no matter, I'm sure the caviants are there to stay, the question of control raises a few questions?
AnswerID: 392308

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:32

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:32
G'day Folks

Ms Spicer sure knows how to get a reaction!! Best we just all get back into our Australian built and designed 4WDs , shod with Australian made A/T tyres, and get back out into the bush.

Drive local, think global? Let's get real - some of the places will benefit from overseas capital and ideas.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 392323

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:36

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:36
This is a complex issue.

One of the problems is that Australia has been mortgaging its future for a long time. Our savings rate is low and the desire to own your own home is great. And I’m not saying that is a bad thing (to own your own home) but somebody has to fund it and increasingly it is offshore investors.

Because our savings rate is so low, banks borrow the money from offshore to fund it, eventually as a country we must pay it back. This happens one of two ways, our exports are enough to cover it, or we sell assets to offshore investors to balance the ledger…….

And I’ve written two paragraphs…..people write books on the subject, so very much an overview, not a concise dissection of the issue!!!

But, I’m all for not selling the farm….question is how do we change it and still live beyond our means?

Cheers
AnswerID: 392324

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:45

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:45
it's amazaing how something small and innocent, like the last federal goverment's fencing grant, can change a country...
FollowupID: 660241

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 13:05

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 13:05
So whats new??

Its been happening to Australian companies and Australia as a whole for many years, so why get upset now??

The Chinese have been financing and buying major chunks of Australian business particularly resource companies for quite sometime and I don't see to many complain about that.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 392326

Follow Up By: Rolly - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 14:57

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 14:57
Yep!

For over 220 years, foreigners have taken over the country and destroyed the native culture.

Nothing new in that.
FollowupID: 660255

Follow Up By: ob - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 15:44

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 15:44
You took the words right out of my keyboard Rolly

FollowupID: 660258

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 15:49

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 15:49
Chalks up a tick for Rolly as the pithiest, most succint and accurate reply of 2009
FollowupID: 660259

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:02

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:02
here-here, or is it hear hear...fiik
FollowupID: 660269

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 21:23

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 21:23
Stone the flamin' crows sport!!!!
FollowupID: 660309

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 21:45

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 21:45
Don't stone any crows mate, they are probably owned by some foreign national?? :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 660315

Sponsored Links