A cheap Yamaha EF2400is <span class="highlight">generator</span>...

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 14:32
ThreadID: 74067 Views:17089 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya folks

I've been looking for a while for a generator to run a caravan aircon, but while the Honda's are great units, I understand some people have had them struggle a bit. So, decided on the Yamaha EF2400is, which I know will run it fine, albiet at a weight penalty.

So, did a lot of searching, and was pretty shocked to see how much the prices had increased in the past 12 months. Where people were paying $1800 12-18 months ago, RRP is now close to $2600!

Found a few places online who were reasonable (ie. $2200-2300) but still thought I could do better.

Eventually, came across a link to Sydney Tools, who have them for sale for $1900.

Initially, I was a bit worried about buying interstate, since I live in Brisbane. However, the Yamaha warranty is Aust Wide. So, got a quote on delivery (Only $20, which still astonishes me!), and took the plunge.
I ordered it Monday. Got it delivered on Friday, by Allied, in perfect condion!

Now, I'm not getting into the advantages and disadvantages of Honda Vs. Yamaha generators, since they're both excellent units, and it's like debating Holden Vs Ford. However, when I see a damn good bargain, I like to let people know! With an Aust Wide warranty, servicing can still be done locally, and I saved nearly $700 on retail! Even more, while it didn't come with all the accessories and extra warranty offered with the Honda EU20i at the last camping show I went to, it's more powerful, and $100 cheaper, than the show prices I wrote down. So, suits my needs perfectly.

However, it IS heavier than the Honda. At 30kg though, it's still readily manageable, and the 2 big handles on the top gives it plenty of leverage to push and lift from. Given it's also 50% bigger than the Honda, I was worried it might be too awkward to move around, but I'm really impressed with the weight, for the power of the unit. Just looking forward to starting it to compare it to my 2200W ALDI generator I bought for $299, which is much more heavy and bulky.

This is the link to their web site:
http://sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=3364&bc=no

They also have the 1000W unit for $1399:
http://sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=3363&bc=no

I've absolutely no affiliation with these people,and just found them in a net search on Google. Other than buying a generator from them, I don't know them from a bar of soap. I'm not plugging them for any commercial reason. Again, I'm just impressed with the price, and thought I'd pass it on, since many here often lament the costs of a good generator nowadays.

Now I just have to get rid of my old, barely used, generators ;>

Cheers,
Scotty

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stans truck - Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 at 14:49

Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 at 14:49
Hi there sounds like you have done well, iam looking to buy a yam gen to the 2kva one, have to give this place a go for prices as here in Adelaide bit rich, to buy regards Stan.
AnswerID: 393139

Reply By: Rocko Wallaby - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:42

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:42
Started the genny up for the frst time last night. Not a problem. So, plugged in my Arlec portable aircon. pluttered for a sec, then settled down barely above idle. So, very happy with it.
Wouldn't say it's "whisper quiet", but compared to the old generator, it's a big improvement.
54-56dB is still surprisingly noisy ;)
Anyways, very happy with it.

Hmm, on another note, wanted a high performance battery charger to go with it. Something in the order of 25 Amps.

Been comparing the Ctek (which I already have a 3.5A unit) and the Projecta. Both multi stage units, same 2 year warranty. Settled on the Projecta, as it has more features. Again both excellent units though.

Anyways, purchased it on eBay from 4WDEXTREME. A mob I've bought from before. So far, they've supplied us with 2 x Tekonsha P3 Prodigy brake controllers, a Projecta dual battery kit, and the original Ctek. Asked them the differences between units, and they gave a good response, even recommending the Pojecta over the Ctek although the Ctek was dearer. All delivered super fast, and at brilliant prices. Saved around $150 off RRP.

Here is the link on eBay to the unit I bought. So, another good place to shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROJECTA-IC2500-7-STAGE-CHARGER-12VOLT-25AMP-LCD-CTEK_W0QQitemZ220517880604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3357e3d31c

Cheers,
Scotty

So, as an aside on the above,
AnswerID: 393768

Sponsored Links