<span class="highlight">Generator</span> mounted in box on a Frame?

Submitted: Monday, Dec 07, 2009 at 23:06
ThreadID: 74254 Views:8485 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Heya
Came across a few posts where people noted they'd mounted their generator in a box on the A frame. I have a Yamaha EF2400is, which is a biggish sucker, and I've seen some nice concepts on modified boxes to put them in. Especially to stop someone nicking it. However, I'm really concerned about the whole "death by monoxide" bit, let alone the "flaming death while I seep if something burns" joy. Awfully close to the van itself.
How have people done this, or what other options fr carrying the genny are there? Apart from the back of the car, I mean ;>
Scotty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 00:38

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 00:38
I guess you could extend the exhaust outlet away from the van! shouldn't be to hard.

And find some quick response sprinkler heads and hook them up to your gennie box on the inside, and pressurised water supply and sleep easier at night knowing that any gennie fire will be put out almost straight away should one start.

Cheers
AnswerID: 394154

Reply By: Mark R - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:12

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:12
I'd be concerned about a volatile, explosive liquid (petrol) and potenial spark source (the genny) being dangerously close the those (potentially leaking) gas cylinders! Although a disaster would be rare, it would not be pretty.

Mark
AnswerID: 394187

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 19:22

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 19:22
Ours is in a box on the A frame Scotty, and it opens from the front not the top. We usually take it out to use it, but it can be used in situ on a slide out. It is for emergency use so not used very often. Yours is heavier than ours, so weight on the a-frame may be an issue as it affects the downward thrust on the vehicle (commonly known as tow ball weight).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 394250

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 22:08

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 22:08
Noddles. According to the manufacturer, I should have plenty of reserve (close to 100+kg) in the towball weight, but plan on checking it before getting too excited about anything. Size of the box is extremely limited because of the area already taken up with the spare wheel carrier, so wouldn't fit much there anyway. Might fit a small box for the generator, or alternatively just stick a box there for all the water/suliage hoses, awnings, etc, which don't weigh much.

So, what other things to people do to make generators user-friendly?
Scotty
FollowupID: 662514

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:19

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:19
Hi Scotty'

Thinking along the same lines but with the idea of fitting an aluminium tool box to the rear bar that presently carries the spare wheel. The box would be lockable of course to slow down some low life that thinks he needs a generator more than me. The box would have a full size side opening to allow plenty of ventilation so that the generator could be bolted to the bottom of the box and run in situ. I was considering adding sound attenuating matting to the inside of the box and maybe mount the genny on rubber mounts to eliminate any nasty vibrations being transmitted to the van chassis. My genny is a Honda 2.0 so a bit lighter than a Yamaha. It runs the air con no worries so did not see the need of the bigger unit.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 394309

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:29

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:29
Heya Pop
I have a rear entry door, with no rear bar, so no rear mount. Hadn't considered that when I bought it ;)
Amazing how much less external storage you have with a spare on the front A frame, and no rear bumper.
Scotty
FollowupID: 662530

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:43

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:43
Just a suggestion Scotty and because I don't know what make or model of van you have this might not be practical but could you fabricate some type of swingaway rear carrier that would enable you to carry your genny and whatever at the folded up position and swung (is there such a word??) to the side to give you access to your door when camped. Similar idea to a spare wheel carrier like you see on some wagons and Troopies but strong enough to take the weight.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 662535

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:46

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:46
Not a bad idea. Could be feasible.
Hmm, for some info, here's a site I found a while back that makes custom made generator boxes. Expensive, but wouldn't be difficult to get one made here much cheaper. Shows placement of vents, access, etc. Have one for the 2kw Honda, as well as many others.
Scotty

http://www.hayesequipment.com/hayes_products.htm
FollowupID: 662538

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:52

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:52
Oh, I have a Coromal Poneer 402, for the info
FollowupID: 662540

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 00:02

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 00:02
Yeah, I had a look at the site, thats the sort of thing I had in mind. I think the dollars quoted might be the American variety as well. I don't know what state of Oz you are in but here in Wait Awhile Coventrys have a box that looked suitable for about $700. A bit bigger than what I had in mind but as you said you never seem to have enough external storage space so I guess other stuff could be carried in there when not running the genny.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 662541

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:19

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:19
Hi there. I have read that many vans have fairly light chassis members behind the axle, and so it is hard to fit a strong enough back bumper or frame unless you take the structure forward to the meaty part of the chassis. When you think about it, a genny, plus the box, plus the rear frame will mean a fair weight (about the weight of an adult), about 2 metres behind the axle, and so there's a fair bit of leverage. I've heard of disasters with home made back bumpers with various 'attachments' where the whole lot breaks off!! None of wants to donate a $2000 genny to some stranger!
I have been pondering whether to cut a hole into the front of our van to create a side entry 'boot' in the dead corner of the van (the bit you can never get to) to hold the genny.
FollowupID: 662552

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:25

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:25
What about Motorhome owners...the big ones, I mean. They sometimes have onboard diesel generators. Wonder how the exhaust is directed there? Althought the "boom" factor would be eliminated by getting rid of unleaded, I guess, the monoxide could still be an issue.
Anyone have one of these?
FollowupID: 662553

Sponsored Links