A question for Sat TV gurus

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 14:50
ThreadID: 74357 Views:4738 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Gurus (or should that be gurii?),

A neighbour has asked me to help with his new satellite TV set-up and we've got the Strong receiver with Aurora card working well. He's also borrowed a new Foxtel iQ box and card from his son (but without nay instructions) and would like to see if it's worthwhile taking with him on his next trip. We've been using a Strong box for a couple of years but I've never tried to set-up a Foxtel before.

I believe Foxtel cards will only work with Foxtel receivers but he's happy to carry both receivers. What we need to clarify is whether Foxtel is transmitted from the Optus C1 satellite as the Aurora FTA channels are, or do we need to find a different satellite?

Connecting the iQ to the sat dish which is aimed properly at Optus C1, we get two green bars on the Foxtel signal strength display but only one orange bar for signal quality and it keeps searching for the program list but never finds it. On the Strong receiver we have very good strength and quality (>85%) in this position.

Can one of you most knowledgeable people tell us what we're doing wrong?
Thanks, Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 15:12

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 15:12
I have seen sat setups with 2 cables coming out of the Balun and they said it was a cable for each box Sounds sensible

It may also be you need a different balun

Ask this Question on the Caravan & Motorhome forum There is a couple of guys there who are pretty clued up

http://forum.candm.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=5

AnswerID: 394779

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:14

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:14
Thanks, Graham.
I will post on the C&M forum too.
Balun? Do you mean the LNB (low noise block) on the dish?
Ian
FollowupID: 663126

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 17:30

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 17:30
Yeah sorry been a long day driving in the wind

FollowupID: 663135

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:07

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:07
Hi Ian
Check that the LNB frequency for both boxes are the same, Foxtel/Austar usually use 10.7 GHz, your Strong box / LNB (LNB is the receiver that sits in front of the sat. dish on the arm) may be a different frequency say 11.3 Ghz.
I run a Strong Twin output 10.7 GHz. LNB, and run two coax cables one to each box. To check (or alter) you will need to go into the "Set Up" of the boxes. Get back to me if you need more help. res.q.guy@westnet.com.au
You can see a Strong Twin output 10.7 GHz. halfway down the page on the link below.
Cheers
Neil
Strong Twin Output LNB
AnswerID: 394784

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:18

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 16:18
Thanks Neil,
Good suggestion - I'll check that. But I seem to recall that the Strong uses 10.7 too.
Ian
FollowupID: 663128

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 20:36

Saturday, Dec 12, 2009 at 20:36
I use my Foxtel box in our new van with our auto sat system (Smartsat).

It interrogates C1 and we get perfect Foxtel.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 394812

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:20

Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:20
Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful replies. The problem is solved!

As it happens, another park resident had an antenna man call yesterday, so my neighbour collared him before he left.

The new Foxtel iQ box has two LNB input sockets on the back. I foolishly assumed you would need to connect to both only if you wished to use both of the dual tuners. However it seems the box needs a connection to both sockets. The antenna man simply fitted a splitter to the incoming cable and two short (150mm) cables to each input socket - and hey presto it all works! (I wonder if fitting a 75 Ohm dummy load to the unused socket would have worked too?)

Thanks again for help.
Ian
AnswerID: 394864

Sponsored Links