Last week in the Vic High Country

Got back Sunday after 9 great days away. Hardly anyone around and the weather was great. Just thought I'd pass on some info for those of you who are heading there after Xmas.

We went in from Mansfield and the bakery there is still brilliant! Came out at Bright and the bakery there is just as good! Gee Bright is a nice town!

We moved camp each day - camped at Pineapple Flat, Bindaree Hut, Wonangatta River, Talbotville, Crooked River, Buckland Valley, then in the Pyrenees on the way home.

Some track notes:
Weston Track to Pineapple Flat was a different way in for me - a little rough and steep, but a good drive.
Mt Stirling Track and Craigs Hut - was a bit rougher than usual until we met the grader - should be in top condition by now!
King Billy etc - good nick.Bluff Hut is rebuilt; framework is up for Lovicks Hut,
Zeka Spur - no different - a bit rough in places, but a good drive.
Wombat Range Track - steep both ends - a good challenging drive.
Wonongatta River at Eaglevale - water was low - axle deep only.
Bulltown Spur track and Crooked River crossings - always a good drive, but the crossings were shallow.
Blue Rag Range track - its been burnt out since the last time I did it - eerie scenery - but we were lucky enough to climb it when there was cloud and fog, and then it all lifted when we were at the helipad - a great drive. The approaches to the helipad were more challenging than last time I did them.
Twin Jeeps Track - a bit windy and slow, but got us into the Buckland Valley.

So many areas have been burnt out in 2003, 2006 and 2009. Some are regenerating, but many have suffered with vast areas of dead snow gums etc. But its good to see nature at work.
Many trees across the tracks - a lot of moving and a bit of chain sawing required.
All the rivers were crystal clear and all our camps were great - in most we were the only campers.
We had two hot windy days where fire bans were in force across most of the state - listen to 774 AM ABC radio for the info. We went to the Dargo pub for tea rather than cook.

And thanks to the other EO members who came with us - Amy G, John R and Craig D and partners - great company, and very good driving.

Cheers
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jschacher1 - Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:26

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:26
Thanks for that I am going across in 2 weeks on the way to Melbourne, but unfortunately I wont have much time.
AnswerID: 395999

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:57

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:57
Gidday Phil,

We just missed you. What a change from SA's Flinders and Deserts! Just about perfect weather (a bit of rain and drizzle) but excellent scenery. We set the vans up at Swift's Creek for five days and Dargo for three days. We did day trips from the base camps and I was impressed. My Auto didn't like the steep descents on Billy Goat Bluff and Blue Rag Range, even with the handbrake applied, but climbing in low range was no problem. My missus was nervous about the steep gullies. We had to turn back on Jones Track due to a very large tree (over 1m diameter) across the track. Our 15 inch saw had no chance. One of the guys damaged his side steps and undersills on a new LC200. He was avoiding a cut log on the LHS but collected the other cut half hidden in the ferns on the RHS (near Haunted Stream).Loved the ferns, birds,tall timber and running water.

Altogether, the most wonderful and interesting, historic and beautiful country. Can't wait to return.

Kingo
AnswerID: 396002

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:06

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:06
Gday Kingo,
You may have been in the Dargo pub same night as us? We came out and saw a bunch od SA vehicles lined up on the fire ban day (?Wed). We were planning on doing Billy Goat Bluff and the Moroka River, but played it safe when the fire ban was on. Yep keep goijng back theres a heap more to see. I like to mix it up with new and old tracks and camps.
Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 664707

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:36

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:36
Kingo, how did we miss you there. Last time you were in the Simpson, just leaving as we were going in. Pity to have missed you this trip.
FollowupID: 664723

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:40

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:40
Phil, We had a great Saturday night at the Dargo pub on the 5th Dec. There was a wedding feast on complete with lots of kids, blokes with tatts and a beautiful bride. Everyone having fun, yet we got great food and service too! Our campsite at Dargo was "Two mile flat" (first one on the left as you come down the hill to the river). Beautiful spot, but could be busy at holiday time.

Kingo

FollowupID: 664724

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:46

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:46
Hi John!

Isn't that a coincidence? Our group consisted of basically the same ones that we had in the Simpson, plus a couple more. You will be pleased to know that we had four Toyotas and only one Nissan (me). I keep looking enviously at the LC200 but might have to settle on a Prado to get that downhill control feeling. Then again I could hang out for the new Patrol. No troubles with mine at all.

Kingo
FollowupID: 664726

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:47

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:47
Gday Phil,

Sounds like a great trip. There are some really nice tracks and areas to explore over that way, some of the tracks you mention are really nice tracks. Mind you it sounds like the Bakery's were your major POI's LOL. Not a bad thing though..

AnswerID: 396012

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:05

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:05
Blaze,

like Phil G said, we loved those bakerys too, and also the bakery in Omeo.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 664699

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:08

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:08
Hehe - I usually lose a kg or two on trips, but didn't this time :-))
FollowupID: 664708

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:14

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:14
Blaze, I know what to do now when you are still inside the bakery and want to access what is in your paper bag for eating later on. You don't hold back with custard tarts or vanilla slices ;-))
FollowupID: 664718

Reply By: Alpal1 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:41

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:41
Although we are frequent visitors to the high country,have never done the trip you have. We vistied the Dargo end several years ago, and Mansfield end many times, but not in between.
Is this doable towing a camper trailer?
The other question is Fuel, no probs with fuel stops or do you need to carry a quantity?
The trip notes say minimum of 3 days to do the trip. I guess this would be a rushed effort & it would be best to take more time if your schedule allows.
AnswerID: 396015

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:16

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:16
I haven't towed, but know people who take campers there. They usually know the tracks pretty well, and set up a base camp at a couple of spots and do the harder tracks from there. I wouldn't like to have to back a trailer down many of the hills. The problem is knowing what is doable. I wouldn't do Zeka Spur with a camper, but expect it is possible.

Fuel - get it at Licola or Dargo. We all had diesels and fuel consumption was double normal. Used between 87 and 115 litres from Mansfield to Bright. There is plenty to see and do - take at least a week.
FollowupID: 664710

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:18

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:18
My reference to Zeka Spur was going down - definitely wouldn't try it going up!
FollowupID: 664711

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:43

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:43
Alpal 1,

Taking camper trailers down Zeka Spur track can be done. I will be leading a convey of camper trailers on that track in the middle of January.

However I will drive the track the week before on another trip so I will have a good idea on the condition of the track. I do know of the sections that might cause some concern but if taken with care can be done.

Wayne
FollowupID: 664716

Follow Up By: Alpal1 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:12

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:12
Thx for all your opions, more info the better.
Sounds like Zeka Spur track might be a good one to miss with trailer in tow. I am not one to take unnecessary risk.
FollowupID: 664757

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 17:24

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 17:24
Alpal, I think that some have trouble with tight turns and that makes them more cautious. I don't actually recall a place I had to back up, but others sometimes would.
FollowupID: 664791

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:07

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:07
Phil,

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.

The tracks have gone through a few changes over the past years. Weston 4X4 track has been graded in sections due to a new logging camp part way down the track. It is now a good drive from Mt No.3 to the King River. King Hut was burnt last year and has not been rebuilt.

The camp site at Bindaree Hut is one that I have not camped at but it does look good. Did you have a look at Bindaree Falls on the way to Bindaree Hut?

Bluff Hut although a lot smaller than original hut is a great example of a High Country hut.
Lovicks Hut has not progressed in years and we stop there for lunch. King Billy track after the gate is getting interesting and is still a great drive through the Snow Gums.

The Crocked River track out of Talbotville has so much history about it. There are still a few old stone fire places form pubs hidden in the bush and even an old bakers oven.

The drive up to Blue Rag is great. Once you start the last climb to the Trig Point you really don't want to stop or have to reverse back down.

Even though I have already been down that way a few weeks ago I will be down there again for the first 2 weeks of January 2010.

Wayne

AnswerID: 396018

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:29

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:29
Gday Wayne, thanks for filling in the gaps.
We'd normally bypass Bindaree Hut camp because of its popularity, but was good for us this time. Went that way so we'd see the falls. We also did 16 mile Jeep track to Pikes Flat - another magic spot. I offered a walk up the Bluff to the others but they all suddenly found an injury....
Enjoy it in January - hope the weather's good.
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 664713

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:46

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:46
Gee , with so many out of staters going there above you could get the feeling that we are being invaded.

Glad you all had a great time , and it is also a great time to go.

We will be back there with the hordes at Talbotville in 3 days to re-claim it for Victoria.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 396023

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:35

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:35
Gday Robin,
Yep, its an invasion :-))
But come winter you Mexicans drive straight past your Little Desert and Big Desert to see what a real desert looks like!
Best wishes for Xmas
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 664714

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:11

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:11
Hi Phil
Sound like you had a ball, with great company, great bakeries and the scenery.

Seasons Greetings and all the Best for 2010.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 396027

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:10

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:10
Gday Stephen,
Yep, the weather was so good that we just rolled out the swag most nights, and woke up to cloud free skies. But I did miss the fog and mist!
All the best for your trip planning in 2010 - keep up the good work with the reports too!
Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 664728

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:11

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:11
Hi Phil
Thanks for that. On another matter, have you ever ventured to Dingo Claypan and Len's 300 mile marker?. I would like to include it in the trip and would like to see if is worth the detour.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 664756

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 17:12

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 17:12
Hi Stephen,
Can't help you there - its still on my to-do list. Might be out that way next August.
Its not far out of the way, so worth asking for permission.
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 664790

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:34

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:34
Phil, great report thank you. Thanks very much for inviting us to participate and for your leadership during the week. It was a GREAT trip and the all around company a delight. Heather and I enjoyed ourselves despite living in a roof top tent. We did it and loved the experience, even though I am still itching from bites from the campsite in the Buckland Valley.

Gee haven't you brought up your daughter well as a driver! Seeing her on Blue Rag with the bit between her teeth. She is a match for you nearly.

It is always interesting to camp with other experienced campers and see their techniques. We learned more and are revising some of our setup. I know that some popup tents are a lot easier than others to pack up, even now within brands :-(( You have an easy one.

There were too many tracks and hills to describe as highlights, but icons like Blue Rag and Zeka Spur are just some of the drives to take people to again. We also looked out a gathering point for a Kimberley Karavans Group for the not too distant future

I know from this trip we have some more great friends in Adelaide, with Craig and partner too, as well as you guys. You are welcome here anytime. Thank you again, for the invitation.
AnswerID: 396034

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:30

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:30
Gday John,
It's the people you go with that make a good trip! Whatever bit you in Buckland had good taste - I was spared! Maybe it was the spray of Mortein into the swag :-) Glad you coped with the daily packup - but I reckon you'd be itching to get back into your KK on your next trip!!!

Amy has learnt her 4wding the right way. She's done the research, and joined a good club -TLCCSA - benefitted from having different trainers to teach her on many club weekends. It was good to see her handle the often challenging tracks without an issue. She helped service her 80series yesterday before she moves to Brisbane (but left the wheel bearings for me to do :-))

Catch up soon
Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 664730

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:31

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:31
G'day John
Glad to see you're still hard at it enjoying travelling.
Hope you and Heather have a safe and merry Christmas and all the best for the future.
Cheers from Enzo and family
PS Emma's doing really well - got a 6.25 so looks like she'll be in vet next year.

G'day Phil
So if your daughter Amy is coming to Brisbane next year I hope she comes and joins the TLCC up here. Where will she be living? Club meets at Mt Coot-tha which is reasonably central.
Have a safe one.
Cheers
FollowupID: 664760

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:48

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 14:48
Enzo, we remember that Cooper Creek camp ground and your family there, just talked about it last week. Glad Emma is doing well. There is a good teaching vet practice this way that a lot of Queensland students come to. Just let us know when you come driving this way again. We love the tracks around the HC, and even around our Pyrenees in Western Victoria.

Phil, I was saying that the secret of a good marriage was to have a partner that mosquitoes (or other bities) liked. That wasn't supposed to be me :-O You are too right, the KK is more comfortable, but we couldn't miss your trip for quids.

Happy Christmas
FollowupID: 664763

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 15:20

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 15:20
G'day John, Hope you had a safe drive home. I certainly ended up with the partner that the bugs preferred- he is still suffering with about 30 bites!

The travelling computer is coming back to this house tonight so we should be able to upload a few photos soon.

Moose, we have looked at TLCC in Brissie and it seems to be a good option for us- we will be living in the Indooroopilly area so Mt Coot-tha isn't far. What is the age demographic like at the club? I ask as we are still fairly young (27 and 31) and are hoping to also get out and about with a few people our age (ish!). We might see you at a meeting January/February.
FollowupID: 664767

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 15:31

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 15:31
Hello Amy
Our club is about as age diverse as it can get. From old farts to a few weeks old! Don't have any actual stats. Suggest you come along and see what you think. FYI - the Jan meeting will be on the 28th (Thursday) then back to the normal last Monday of each month. Start time is 7.30 but if you get there a little after 7.00 you'll get a chance to meet some people before the meeting starts. When you turn up get the Welcoming Officer (normally Lance) to round me up.
Cheers
Enzo
FollowupID: 664769

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:22

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:22
G'day Amy, I see that EO provides emphasis on the word 'young' in your post. I will add some photos from Mt Blue Rag below. The first being you at the top of a Blue Rag slope - Amy is here.

The next is on the way up through the clouds to enjoy some sunlight

Then Phil's 78 Series - does my bum look big like this?
FollowupID: 664776

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:47

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:47
Enzo, thanks for that. I'm sure Amy and Troy will enjoy the Qld TLCC.

Gday John,
Heres a couple of my favourites too:
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 664784

Reply By: WayneD - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:47

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:47
Will be doing Vic High Country in early Jan for the first time. Have wanted to do this trip for a long time. SWMBO has allowed me to do this trip with the boys and treat as recce so she can join me next time.
AnswerID: 396037

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:32

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:32
Thats a good way to do it Wayne. My first High Country trip was in 2000 following the Melbourne Cup long weekend. Did stuff that was tougher than I'd ever do now!
FollowupID: 664731

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:18

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:18
Something else I just thought of:

The DSE (National Parks people) were in the Wonnangatta Valley working like trojans on 12 hour days in the heat to get the Valley looking good and safe for after Xmas. They had the slasher cutting a lot of the long grass so the camping is good and to reduce the fire risk on the edges of the tracks. They had a healthy attitude - wanted people to access the place and not lock it up. Well done DSE!
AnswerID: 396050

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 19:59

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 19:59
Gaday Phil. I wouldn't be sure it was DSE you should be thanking if it was in the Valley. Parks Victoria are the ones that look after the Alpine National Park of which Wonnangatta is a part. Over the past few years their co-operation with the 4wd community has seen a complete turn around including opening up tracks that have been closed for years, installation of toilets & fire pits along with slashing long grass & cutting dangerous trees at campsites. Victoria are certainly leading the country in that regaurd & in most cases all for free too.
DSE on the other hand (who look after State Parks) have been a bit slow on the take up although 4WD Victoria are working to bring them onside :-)
For years we had the place pretty much to ourselves but we're seeing those interstate plates more & more often. Could get quite busy up there soon with the development of several "Iconic Routes" currently being planned.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 664808

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 23:50

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2009 at 23:50
Gday Craig,
Hehehe I'm still a bit confused!!!
I thought "Parks Victoria" were part of DSE. It looks that way from the DSE website, but from what you say it sounds like ParksVictoria do all the work and DSE take the credit!!!!

But the guys I'm praising came from the Heyfield office, and I'm guessing that's ParksVictoria.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 664846

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2009 at 15:30

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2009 at 15:30
Crown land in Vic is basically managed by 2 seperatly funded groups. DSE look after State Parks & Parks Victoria (The good guys) look after National Parks & some conservation reserves & historical sites. All very confusing & the sooner the two are made into one the better.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 664901

Sponsored Links