Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:51
ThreadID: 75437 Views:6410 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The morning of Australia Day (26th January) 1966 was already hot in Adelaide, with the temperature due to peak at almost 40°C. Jim Beaumont, a linen goods salesman, wondered whether to go to work or go swimming with his children. Work on this day meant a two hour drive to Snowtown to see some customers. Staying home and taking his children to the beach sounded more appealing. Being a good salesman, however, Mr Beaumont decided that he'd better see his customers. It was a decision he would regret for the rest of his life.
Image Could Not Be Found
The children left their home at 109 Harding Street, Somerton Park, on the corner with Peterson Street, at 10am. They were catching the bus to Glenelg. It was only a short distance and they could have ridden their bicycles. Being a hot day, however, it seemed more sensible to catch the bus. It was understood by the children that they would return home on the noon bus. There was no way they could be confused about the time because the clock tower at Glenelg was highly visible. Mrs Beaumont gave Jane eight shillings and sixpence for expenses 78.
The children having left for the beach and her husband gone to see potential customers, Mrs Beaumont visited a friend. She returned before the noon bus arrived, and was waiting at the bus stop. The children were not on the bus. She didn't consider this serious as the children could have decided to walk home, which they had done before. Or they could have missed it, and would be on the 2pm bus instead. Some friends visited and Mrs Beaumont didn't worry for the moment.
The children did not return on the 2pm bus, and Mrs Beaumont began to feel uneasy. She could have gone to look for the children but their route home could equally take them down Moseley Street, Partridge Street or Brighton Road. She could very easily miss them, so it was best to wait.
The children did not return on the 3pm bus, and if Mrs Beaumont was uneasy before, she must have been distinctly worried now. Jim Beaumont returned home early (his customers had not been available) and when his wife explained what had happened, he immediately went out searching for his children. He drove to the beach, searching, and was home again by 3:30pm. He picked up his wife and returned to the beach, and kept searching. The children were finally reported missing to the police at 7:30pm. Jim Beaumont stayed out all night, still searching.
The next morning the Beaumont children were officially declared missing. One apparently comforting fact was that children almost never disappear in groups. There is something of safety in numbers, even for children. The typical missing child is one who has run away for one reason or another. But the Beaumont children had absolutely no reason to run away, and Jane would never have let her younger siblings do so anyway.
This left two possible explanations for the disappearance of the Beaumont children. Either they had met with some kind of accident, probably drowning, or someone had abducted them. From the outset, the latter looked more likely.
A massive search was launched. The coast was scoured for kilometres both north and south of the Colley Reserve, in the hope of finding something. However, the children's belongings were not found at the beach, and the question had to be asked: Even if it were possible that on a hot summer's afternoon at a crowded beach that three children could be swept out to sea and drowned without anyone noticing, was it possible that the children could carry their towels, a book, and other belongings into the water, and for none of them to be found? It was clearly very close to being impossible.
At the Beaumont home, Mrs Beaumont was kept under sedation. Friends and relatives gathered to wait for news, and a telephone was installed so that the family could keep in touch with Glenelg Police Station. Mr Beaumont visited the station twice a day for news.
By the weekend the disappearance of the Beaumont children was a national news item and the search had become one of the biggest ever mounted in Australia. Mr Beaumont had once been an owner-driver with the Suburban Taxi Service, and when the drivers found out that it was his children who'd gone missing, 40 of them joined the search. The search itself had been extended to every seaside suburb, and beyond. Sandhills were searched, and police knocked on the door of every house that the children could have passed on their way home. As well as the taxi drivers, hundreds of ordinary citizens asked if there was any way in which they could help.
Image Could Not Be Found
On 31 January, five days after the disappearance of his children, Mr Beaumont went on national television to appeal for their return. He expressed the hope that whoever was holding his children would return them, then he broke down. Hundreds of calls were received, mostly from people believing that they'd seen the children. Every lead was followed up.
Following Jim Beaumont's appeal, the South Australian Police Commissioner asked Adelaide householders to search their properties, to investigate sheds and hiding places. Despite the resources that were being poured into the search, the police were just as baffled as the public.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:15

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:15
Giday Doug,

Wasn't aware of this event until I came to Australia in 1994.
Have seen the odd TV programme outlining various explanations as to what may of happened but all speculation.

Certainly a mystery.
Someone out there knows what happened, the parents deserve that at least.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 400822

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 13:54

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 13:54
Hi Lionel
Police have their theories, but need the hard cold facts. One person that they believe was involved is now doing life in relation to "The Family" murders in the late 1970's, where young teenage boys were tortured and brutally murdered.

It is one case that all South Australian's and the wider Australian community would love to see solved. I remember the case so well, for two reasons, the continual media coverage at the time and the fact the three children were all the same age as me and my 2 sisters. Another very sad outcome was the constant pressure on the parents was their eventual marriage failure.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 670086

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 15:02

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 15:02
Doug,

I find this whole thing especially chilling as a personal friend of mine

Arthur Brown

was a significant suspect. Old Arthur's house backed on to our Motel in Townsville. He and his wife Charlotte regulalry ate in our restaurant. I would often jump the back fence to help him with lifting.

We even had he and his wife to our house for dinner, after we sold the motel, when my grandmother was visiting. Arthur was, on the surface, a delightful old chap.

Of course we knew nothing as we had returned to Melbourne in 1995, well before this all came to light.

Jim.

AnswerID: 400832

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 22:45

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 22:45
Hi Doug, How I remember that case, it has bewilded me ever since it happened and also after the file fell on my desk at work for inquiries in '69, I among many from all over the country would love to know exactly what happened, having said that I didn't know about this Brown fellow (he must have come into the picture after '69). Rightly or Wrongly I disagree with information that is relevant to a case being kept from Jurors, that's just my opinion.

Keep up the good work Doug.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 400882

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 15:39

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 15:39
Deanna,

The link to Brown only came up in 1998 when his face was splashed all around the country in regard to Mackay girls murders. It was only then that a witness who saw the Beaumont Children being dragged away recognised Brown as the man.

Given that over 30 years had elapsed and there was no other evidence to solidly link Brown, it was not pursued.

Jim.

FollowupID: 670214

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:34

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:34
Hi Jim, Thanks for that info, I must have missed it somehow as I would have picked up on it very quickly if I had heard it. What a shame they didn't pursue it.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 670290

Reply By: Nargun51 - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:52

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:52
There is an individual in a secure psychiatric institution in Victoria by the name of Derek Ernest Percy.

He was found Not Guilty on the Grounds of Insanity of the murder of 12 Year old Yvonne Tuohy on 20 July 1969 at Warneet. As he was found Not Guilty on the Grounds of Insanity, he was ordered to be detained at the Governor’s Pleasure.

He remains in custody after 40 years

Percy was a naval rating at HMAS Cerberus at the time of the offence and it is this that led the police to his arrest after the other child who was abducted and escaped reported that the car had pass from this establishment on it.

Percy is a suspect in a number of disappearances and murder of children which occurred prior to his arrest. These disappearances and murders occurred in locations near where Percy had been posted at the time.

There is no direct evidence to link Percy to the Beaumont children disappearance, but in light of the crime he was charged, his documented sexual sadism, his recorded sexual fantasies and the opportunities offered by him being in the location at the time places him high as a suspect for the crime.

The man is evil incarnate
AnswerID: 400909

Sponsored Links